Kii Three / D&D vs. PSI Audio actives - DSP vs. analog crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes please continue the discussion on the Kii:

Let me share a "secret" I found from a video interview with Bruno, I could spot something quite interesting from production of the speaker. It looks like it has two Seas DXT??? The lower one is hidden behind the grill cloth and badge. Here are two "frames" from that youtube video. You clever guys, please explain this to me:)

Hmmm sorry, let my try those pictures again:

Attachments

• kii-1.jpeg
    kii-1.jpeg
    49.6 KB · Views: 222
  • kii-2.jpeg
    kii-2.jpeg
    38.7 KB · Views: 222
The pictures here seems to indicate the same.

6moons audioreviews: Kii Three

But I have some serious doubt that there is an actual active tweeter mounted in that second hole. Why would they?

I agree, why two tweeters? But then try figure out why they would make an extra hole in the cabinet, put on a gasket, and from the 6moon picture, I can even se a loudspeaker wire in that hole?

Last edited:
Perhaps they had an idea about a certain industrial design at some point during development and then they changed their mind, but they didn't want to change the tooling for the cabinet so they just found a way to cover the hole? Things like that happens all the time in product development.

Now what if they didn't put a speaker in that hole but instead put a microphone there, now that would be interesting :)

DSC_1517.JPG Build some speakers with the DXT yesterday:
The midrange is a 5" from acoustic energy and the woofer is SB23NRX in 30 liter closed with a HP around 50hz - cant take the beating down there.
Then 4 x 12" XXLS for subs.
Plays nicely here :D
I tried to mimic the baffle cut with a handsaw like the designs on Heissmann acoustics. Measures pretty well and sounds great.
Still need some tweeking - but they are 1 days old... needs care and nuturing for a week or so, to blossom :D

Last edited:
I haven't heard the Kii so far so no opinion from my side of this one. What I have heard so far regarding active monitors are the three-way PSI, the Grimm Audio LS1, several Geithains, Neumann O300, ATC SCM 100 ASL, and PMC BB5. It is quite difficult to make a comparison because I listened to them at different times in different Locations. Personally I could like with all of them. The Grimm could be a bit "beefier" (in terms of more headroom) maybe.

I write this because SahshaV did ask for it. But to make a fair comparison there had to be an opportunity to listen to them side-by-side.

Regards

Charles

Hi There!

Can't send you a PM because your mailbox is full...

I read through an older thread on speakers and your comment caught my eye. I am in the market for an active speaker and you may be one of the few people I can ever reference who have heard all the brands I am looking at. Right now it's down to Neumann 310, Geithain 930k and the PSI A23.

I realize that sound is subjective and I am not going to buy something based solely on your opinion alone, but any insight would be GREATLY appreciated.

My use case is home theater and music listening in a normal sized bedroom sitting at 2-3 meters. Which brand seems to have the most neutral and laid back natural sound to you?

Thanks in advance!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.