Keystone Sub Using 18, 15, & 12 Inch Speakers

@weltersys The specs i have are directly from the Lase oem, Also lase displays the same spec on the web page. I originally went the reflex route for the smaller size I can stack myself, I currently have 4 so maybe in the horns they would reach down to 30hz. I`ve never used horn resp but ill figure it out, I was hoping maybe someone had experience with this combo already.

@GM "Based on your published specs, near enough dead on for a T/S max flat alignment : Vb = Vas, Fb = Fs, so tuned too low and assume the box is too big."
Are you saying the tuning is to low for this driver? That output below fs diminishes?

Are you saying the tuning is to low for this driver? That output below fs diminishes?
Correct! I made my assumption based on your complaint WRT its poor LF performance relative to the posted specs and now knowing the specs you posted as supposedly close enough, then you did tune it too low (30 Hz vs the driver's 41 Hz Fs tuning) and since the sim looks quite flat the box is apparently too big, so either a Vb = Vas, Fb = Fs as 'close enough' or do the math..............

T/S max flat alignment:

Vented net volume (Vb) (L) = 20*Vas*Qts'^3.3

(Ft^3 = (Vb)/~28.31685)

Vented box tuning (Fb) (Hz) = 0.42*Fs*Qts'^-0.96

F3 (Hz) = Fs*0.28*Qts'^-1.4

(Qts'): (Qts) + any added series resistance (Rs)

@weltersys The specs i have are directly from the Lase oem, Also lase displays the same spec on the web page. I originally went the reflex route for the smaller size I can stack myself, I currently have 4 so maybe in the horns they would reach down to 30hz. I`ve never used horn resp but ill figure it out, I was hoping maybe someone had experience with this combo already.
As I said, the Fb of the Keystone is around 36Hz. It's output is around -10dB at 30 Hz, not useful if you want it loud that low, boosting more than a few Hz below Fb just wastes power and makes the cone flap.

The LASE site I looked at yesterday listed the voice coil size as 4", having found the TS parameters for the "New! LASE LF-3600 18", I see they agree with the "SD-LF18X451" you posted in #1634.

LASE LF18-3600.png

However, those TS parameters are not at all the same as the RCF LF18X451, which has 30Hz Fs and VAS almost twice as large, 220L vs 124.4L.

RCF LF18X451 .png

At any rate, your "clone" may look like the RCF, but looks can be decieving ;)

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 users
@weltersys thanks for the input, I understand I have a clone and not to expect the same performance as the original. My question was if tuning below fs was the issue with reduced output down low as I’ve heard some say you can and some say no which @GM answered. I do see the keystone is tuned to 36hz but I’ve always been under the impression that mutual coupling will add lf extension with horns, and if solid 30hz was achievable with 4 cabs? Maybe the Th18 as @BP1Fanatic suggest would be suited better? Sorry I didn’t mean to hijack the thread🤣

@weltersys thanks for the input, I understand I have a clone and not to expect the same performance as the original. My question was if tuning below fs was the issue with reduced output down low as I’ve heard some say you can and some say no which @GM answered. I do see the keystone is tuned to 36hz but I’ve always been under the impression that mutual coupling will add lf extension with horns, and if solid 30hz was achievable with 4 cabs? Maybe the Th18 as @BP1Fanatic suggest would be suited better? Sorry I didn’t mean to hijack the thread🤣
No, the low corner of multiple tapped horns (TH) of any type won’t drop by 6Hz going from one to four cabinets, perhaps one Hz. The Keystone has more frontal area than the XocTH18, so could be expected to have more forward gain than an equal number of TH18.

Front loaded horn (FLH) mouths are usually built “undersized”, the output at Fc (horn cutoff frequency) is often -6dB (or more) below the upper peak. When multiple FLH are used their increased mouth area increases the low end down to Fc in additional to the expected +6dB for each doubling of cabinets and power.
The more “flat” response in the FLH array makes it sound like there is more relative low end, which is taken for low frequency (LF) extension. The actual LF corner frequency may not have dropped any more than 2 Hz from 1 to 4 cabinets.

TH frequency response does not change as much as FLH in array, very little to no drop in LF corner frequency, however TH may exhibit more forward directivity than FLH or bass reflex (BR) of similar frontal area.
Directionality of FLH, TH or BR cabinets can be altered by physical location and proximity, or digital delay, cardioid patterns can be created if desired.

Normally we expect drivers with larger VAS and lower Fs to perform better in a larger cabinet at low tunings than a smaller VAS higher FS would. In turn, the smaller VAS higher FS should perform better in a smaller cabinet.

In contrast, the RCF 18” LXF451 and the Lase LF18-3600 “clone” simulate almost identically in tunings below and above Fs, larger or smaller cabinet volumes than the VAS.
337L is about the gross volume of the Keystone, 186L half the size.
I did BR simulations of 35Hz Fb (same as the Keystone sim Fb) 186L and 30Hz in 337L & 186L.
The 337L 30Hz Fb BR has +3dB at 30Hz compared to the Keystone, but -5dB (or more) less output at 100 Hz.
Lase:RCF 337L 30Hz BR.png

The 186L 30Hz Fb BR is -3dB LF reduction, output at 30 Hz no more than the 35Hz tuning, and about -3dB at 40Hz.
Lase:RCF 168L 30Hz BR.png

The 186L 35Hz Fb BR uses more voltage (power) to achieve -2 to -3 dB less output than the Keystone, though two cabinets with two drivers could achieve +2 to +3 dB more level using three times the power.

Lase:RCF 168L 35Hz BR.png

Both the RCF 18” LXF451 and the Lase LF18-3600 perform equally well in the Keystone simulation, and favorably to the B&C 18SW115-4, output difference mainly due to the 18SW115 greater Xmax/Xvar.
The Keystone exit can’t be modeled exactly using Hornresp. The actual measured response tilts up from around 40Hz to 100Hz, the upper 120-160Hz peaks at lower level than the 100Hz response.
LASE:RCF Keystone.png

The RCF 18” LXF451 and the Lase LF18-3600 both appear to be more sensitive than the heavier 18SW115-4, approximately 1180watts compared to 1921watts required to reach Xmax/Xvar.
BC18SW115-4:LaseLF18-3600 Keystone.png

I know the 18SW115-4 has low distortion below Xmax/Xvar, having never heard or tested the RCF and Lase, can’t vouch for them, but they look good in the simulations.

Art

Reactions: 1 user
Hope you can measure the real T/S parameters, there is a device that cost around 150 that can help. Don't remember the name but you can measure the real T/S of a given driver...just a side note ,even brand name drivers sometimes deviate more than the adequate from the published specs, I guess the Chinese drivers QC is not that much tight so no wonder you don't have low end in your enclosure
The device is the DATS (V3) from Dayton Audio.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone attempted to build this with 1/2 ply?
Not that they have reported.
Or would that require too much extra bracing?
It would require a lot more bracing to make 1/2" ply as stiff as 3/4".
The reports of wood deflection and level loss at high volume in smaller TH subs using 1/2" and added build complexity to save a few pounds is not worth it.

Just had a cool idea and maybe someone has the time/material/place to test. Keep the exit area size but change from the Keystone exit shape to a 1/4 circle kinda sorta like the Danley BC stuff.
Zwiller,

Each of the BC front loaded horn (FLH) enclosures has a mouth exit best suited to the application.
BC FLH horn exits.png

I tested over 20 different shapes and areas before deciding on the Keystone tapped horn exit.
Several years later found it interesting to see Danley Sound Labs using a keystone shaped exit on their DBH-218LF:
DBH 218LF.png

The DBH-218LF exit shape was simply a result of using a side exit on a FLH:
FLH side exit.png

At any rate, after extensive testing and evaluation, I don't think any of the DSL FLH exit shapes would result in overall better response for the TH Keystone Sub, but don't let that deter you from trying them yourself!

Art

Reactions: 2 users
ok it does seem like shape affects performance
i would have thought that at low frequencies it makes little to no difference.
The BC ("Boundary Coupled") front loaded horn drivers are located about 1/4 wavelength distance from the exit, the exit shape is relatively unimportant, but location in the boundary is.

The Keystone sub's mouth shape, area and location was dictated by the position of the two sides of the driver relative to the exit.
When the rear path length was extended, in the "Tall" version, the location and area had to be changed to retain decent response past 100Hz and keep the Fb low.
Keystone&Tall.jpg
Of interest (and great frustration in testing..) the "step down" partial mouth cover which lowers the Fb frequency had to be put on the bottom of the exit in the "tall" version, while the standard Keystone worked well with the cover at the top.

Art