Keystone Sub Using 18, 15, & 12 Inch Speakers

Chris, I wish I could say I got this figured out but I don't . So I'm gonna use my DCX2496 to set rms limit and threshold for the 18TBW100-4 along with the crosssover curve . Right now I have the crossover at 30hz hpf with BW24. And 100hz lpf and I'm thinking a BW24 as well. I am trying to set the rms limit to 50v and I believe a threshold of 5db . Then I believe I need to set my standard BR tops on a 8ms delay to match the timing of the keystone sound. My understanding is to set the rms limit on crossover , I need to use a voltmeter and adjust it from there using the limiter db control. I am not sure on the attack setting. Have a dance tomorrow night so kinda sweating out the details right now.

Ok. So first gig report with the keystones. I set up for a high school homecoming dance . I was told at the door they sold 500 tickets and may be another 50-100 that showed up at the gate to get a ticket . As I have said in previous posts , mine are loaded with 18TBW100-4 speakers. I limited the keystones to 50v per the recommendation here, hpf at 30 and lpf at 100 being pushed by a inuke 6000dsp. I crossed my mid tops to pick up at 100hz on up and had a BW24 slope where they met. I warmed up the subs during setup for a little while on low voltage . When I finally did some real volume sound checks I couldn't stop smiling. The bass coming from these were crisp and clean . They filled the room with low frequencies and I was pumped to show the kids the new sound . The keystones btw did not vibrate or have any odd buzzing either so the build is tight and solid with the bracing . I did not get a spl tho so this is seat of the pants sound results. Having done their last 8 homecomings I know positively the keystones were at least twice as loud with bass as my prior 18 BR boxes and much deeper in the sub 50hz range . It made me realize what I've been missing all these years . :D I will post some pics tonight. Btw, they are heavy as hell and don't forget the cart. Lol

Built and read to go

So finally finished my Keystones, although they are not painted yet. Spent Sunday measuring the responses of all my speakers and setting the crossovers on the Synergy Horn (from 350hz up), the sealed TH18H+ ( from 80hz to 350hz) and the keystone (from 35hz to 80hz). The Keystone was very flat from 38-150 and didn't need any EQ.

I only had 1 of each speaker out so no photo's of the full system. I'm doing an outdoor party in a few weeks so will take some shots then.

Attachments

• IMG_0750_1 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0750_1 (Medium).jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_0752_1 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0752_1 (Medium).jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_0757_1 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0757_1 (Medium).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_0761_1 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0761_1 (Medium).jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_0764_1 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0764_1 (Medium).jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 362
Interesting. If I remember correctly, Art's published FR curves suggest otherwise...

Seem we lost the unfiltered measurement due to the computer freezing up, all I have at this moment is one that had a 20hz HPF and 80hz LPF.

I'll take more measurements in a few weeks when I have the whole system out and setup.

Attachments

• Keystone_nearfield_20hz_HPF_80Hz_LPF.jpg
    Keystone_nearfield_20hz_HPF_80Hz_LPF.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 343
Hey . Can someone recommend some good mid tops to build that are good too. I have been very intrigued to build some diy mid tops as designed by Peter Morris over on sound forums. They have 2 rcf-12" and a bms 4594 tweeter. Seen here https://soundforums.net/threads/12075-60-Degree-DIY-Mid-Hi . It appears to build two of these using the bms 4594 neo makes the drivers for each box to about $1000 per . At this price I'm not sure if they exceed commercial offerings in the same price range. I am asking in this thread to mate with my keystones. I would beibtwrwsted in fitting a DH1a instead of the 4594, but believe its bigger and would require adjustment to the box size . Thanks.

Last edited:
I guess my question was specifically how these compare to some of the commercial offerings in this same price point? If I can make some of these and they perform like the speaker they were trying to match which I believe is the KF850 then I think it's a no brainer. I don't have the luxury of hearing them in person , either one for that matter , so I am stuck looking at charts and trying to correlate that to real world sound and output . I really haven't heard any diy mid tops. Like the MT122, xtro, etc. Peter's top seems excellent and one of the best as I can tell. As for the DH1a, Art said these perform pretty good in other threads, but appear much bigger than the 4594 to fit. Chrap, how did the tops sound?

Last edited:
I dont want to take this topic too far OT so here is my quick opinion. Peters DIY 60degree cabinet is AWESOME. The 12's are great but what really shines is that BMS driver. WOW. Comparable tops ........Maybe the SH60 or similar. BUT these were compared to a 4way pro cinema speaker and they easily stayed right with the cinema speaker. Krix 4 way

SO ya it did quite well. Can do about 140db I believe just fine. SO if I could afford to I would be building three of Peters cabinets for my cinema. Add in three 18 loaded Keystones and your setup for full range. :D