kef IQ3 mod

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
why no supplied tweeter ?

ligger,

I am very surprised that you have been able to obtain two KEF co-axial drivers that do not have their centre tweeters in place.

Look in the centre of the front of your drivers, and Post here what you can see there.

Is there a shiney silver coloured metal dome there,
or is there a grey coloured flat metal circle,
or what ... ?

Are there 4 tag connection points on the back of the driver chassis ?
2 at one end of a flat piece of circuit board, and 2 at the other end,
and 4 thin wires going into the back of the driver ?

To decide which crossover is better for you I will next time ask you more about the type of sound you hope to get,
but for now, are you intending to build a vented/ported cabinet, or a fully sealed cabinet for the drivers ?

And, if vented/ported, are you going to put the hole on the front of the cabinet or on the back ?

Cabinet options effect the lower midrange sound, not only the bass response, despite what the Theory states !

Also, some of the crossover components are non-standard values.
Can you buy all the component options where you are, or only some of them ?

You may have to make the version of the cross-over that you can buy the parts for, or an in-between the two, interpolated, crossover.

Last edited:
Hello!

Does anybody know what is the series resistance of 0.125mH and 1.1mH coils in the original KEF crossover? I'm about to modyfy my IQ3 monitors. My idea is to replace original capacitors with KSE capacitors. I've found 470nF KSE. Has anyone did such modification before?

Hi Everyone,

Great job you all did here with the crossover schematic, speaker teardown and compare to IQ30 crossover. I personally own an iQ3, which already needed repair of the rubber surround as it teared by itself. I had talks with KEF in UK and they basically told me I can go and do whatever I like, and did not admit it's not normal to deal with such a problem with a 2 years old speaker. They also did not admit this is the weakness of the material used. The local dealer gave me a quote on two new drivers but could not say anything when I asked let's say I do buy at 2/3 of the cost the speaker boxes cost when new and the same problem happens, do they exchange it then free of cost? Nice support I can say... I had to take them to a local expert to glue on a new surround... And I can only hope no changes introduced to the sound...

I will not buy KEF again, if I ever sell them, this was just too shocking. I thought I have the right one, that I chose for a lot of money and after tons of listening. I don't plan to sell them to be honest as I'm more or less satisfied with the sound.

Maybe I'll also try some modifications, mainly exchanging the caps I plan as the resistors and coils must not be that bad, I don't believe in exotic components but those non polar caps just look too chinese market crap.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.