KEF Blade 2 meta vs Reference 5 meta?…..which is better?

The thing that i like the most are the very good directivity even the vertical one. The sweet spot is large. The speaker are very neutral and eq'able. The bass goes Till 28hz in my room, about output they can go loud. For what they are i mean. They are still 4 6.5 inch drivers. Soo you know the limktations

No doubt that is an amazing cabinet beyond most DIYers.
A variation on a theme, gives an idea of the directivity. Still in two minds myself if I think it is worth making.
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/tachi-coaxial-point-source-bem-modelling.386711/

1713169255132.png

Reactions: 1 users
The basic design principles of the Blade don’t scare me………getting the function from the alignment without all the artistic form shouldn’t be an issue. I’ve sketched a design using sliced facets…..I’ve always liked that look. I don’t think there’s any acoustic value to the way they taper the enclosure to the base either…..if I build these active, I’ll need room down there for the amplifiers.

The true flagship of KEF is the Muon…..and they again went all front to back on that one……no force cancelling coupled woofers there. I’m not yet convinced the side firing drivers really bring much to the table.

Reactions: 1 users
The basic design principles of the Blade don’t scare me………getting the function from the alignment without all the artistic form shouldn’t be an issue. I’ve sketched a design using sliced facets…..I’ve always liked that look. I don’t think there’s any acoustic value to the way they taper the enclosure to the base either…..if I build these active, I’ll need room down there for the amplifiers.

The true flagship of KEF is the Muon…..and they again went all front to back on that one……no force cancelling coupled woofers there. I’m not yet convinced the side firing drivers really bring much to the table.
I disagree, my impression is the Muon is a artistic design statement. The Blade is the technological pinnacle without the art.

The thing that impressed me most about the Blade 2 in Erin's review was the dynamic range / lack of compression. I didn't expect that from the mid / tweeter. I guess the big voice coil of the midrange helps (even though the cone SD is small). That thing takes a beating.

From a woodwork point of view doing lots of curves scares me. Not so much making them, but I guess kerf board will resonate more than solid sheet material... maybe not though.

Reactions: 1 user
I’d have to do some 90 degree off axis measurements of the 6.5” woofers i intend to use to be confident in all of this…..440 hz is A4………a critical element universal to nearly every vocal performance not to mention guitar, violin, etc……see what correlates with the crossover frequency and slope.

As the Uni Q used in the 150 is a little hot up top, I’d be listening to these around 15-20 degrees off axis….so no toe in.

I get whole point source coherence thing with the side firing woofers but with an Xo point of 440hz for the Blade 2, my brain can’t process the off axis imaging discontinuance where as the Ref 5 with all drivers fwd firing makes much more sense.

I ask the question as I have a pair of white Q150’s with scratched up cabinets I bought open box a few years ago on impulse for $250 that I had intended to just paint…….but now I’m thinking to harvest the Uni Q drivers instead and build my own active WWCWW. Thoughts?
Please show us your results w meas , thanks!

Side woofers are still questionable ... how about KEF LS60 - better integration?

Front woofers rulez , of course! Hard to fool the brain!

Both are different compromises IMHO.

The Reference 5 could do with large roundovers.

The Blade 2 Meta could do with a lower crossover point, but the cone area of that UniQ MF means that it can’t reach down low enough to do a 120-150Hz crossover.

No doubt that is an amazing cabinet beyond most DIYers. IMHO it looks like Alien technology that came to Jack in a dream (or BEM/FEM).
Wot a bad Uni-Q MoFu :)

Surround/Edge excursion limiters are always a nightmare for dynamix!

Makes up for lower disto , less response ripples , nicer looks but as always something is left to be desired! (a price have to be payed)

Fisix are ruling!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
how about KEF LS60 - better integration?

Given it is active, and has the potential to switch to filters thaty get the time een closer (mostly the coax, nit the woofers + mid), likely better integration. CHeaper drivers, cheaper box, may interfere wit that.

It does have to be amoungst the best of the BlurTooth speakers out there.

dave

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Re: Directivity- It’s measurable.

But are you sure you want to see the measurements?
Once you see it, you might not be able to un-see it.
More importantly, can you hear it?
Once you hear it, you might not be able to unhear it.

The brain... well, it's not as clever as it thinks it is.

Ignorance is bliss.

Reactions: 2 users
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
add 2 more woofers to Tysen V2 (and vent the woofers instead of ML-TL into shrink the size)

Went for a walk. Sketched this out in my head. Could be anywhere between 20-40 litres net for the 4 woofers. Add in a midTweeter midTL and box material. 12mm ply should be sufficient but 15mm is easier to work with.

This is an MTM with 2 of the woofers, 10 litre net, got lots of positive comments with a rudumentary passive XO. Parts got pinched for Tysen V2, box disappeared.

Members @DaveR, @Cal Weldon.

W14-FF85-MTM.JPG

FF85-W14-MTM-laidLoose.jpg

8 x Silver Flute W14 @ $28.50 each (the price has exploded) + a pair of 3” midTweeters of your choice.

dave

Reactions: 1 user
Re: Directivity- It’s measurable.

But are you sure you want to see the measurements?
Once you see it, you might not be able to un-see it.
More importantly, can you hear it?
Once you hear it, you might not be able to unhear it.

The brain... well, it's not as clever as it thinks it is.

Ignorance is bliss.
I’ve been on the forefront of Constant Directivity of a loooooong time………and it’s not the Golden Fleece it’s made out to be. There’s something to be said for the acoustic signature of a good listening room and I for one appreciate the balance of somewhat controlled directivity ( I like power response better) and room sound. Acoustic treatments in the form of floating ceiling clouds are wonderfull…….lifts the lid off of an otherwise stuffy environment. And giant headphones?….yeah…. they kinda suck IMO.