• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

JX92S Group buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
All right! Glad to hear drivers are safely making their way to their destinations.

Everyone has responded to my emails except for 6 delinquents ;) (one is not a member of the forum).

habsrock93 (last seen online 2/21/08)
jerishi (last seen online 12/19/2007!!!)
mojopin (last seen online 11/22/2007!!!)
Sky123 (last seen online 10/19/2007!!!)
eparson (last seen online 2/26/08)
Roy C.

Please contact me to let me know if you are still interested in a pair of drivers!

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Hi Gary. You're on the waiting list behind RonD2. I'm still waiting to hear from the 6 people I listed above: eparson's email address is bouncing my emails, habsrock93 doesn't have email turned on, and no one else has replied yet. I'll wait another week or so to see if any of them check their email or remember about the group buy. I hate trying to contact people who were interested, but not interested enough to subscribe to the thread or check their emails...

I'm sure you've put a lot more time into this than you were thinking it would take at the start. It's always a challenge to keep that many people interested for a few months. The nice thing is I'm sure you won't be left with any in the end.

Let me know if a pair opens up and we'll get the payment thing taken care of ASAP.

Thanks

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
A group buy this large is always going to be lengthy and potentially disastrous, especially considering the value of the drivers and that they had to be shipped across the Atlantic. Fortunately things went rather smoothly and the few snags that were encountered were not that significant.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
rdf said:
Anticipation.....:note::note::note:

I see yours have cleared customs but haven't been delivered yet. You should probably expect to see them tomorrow or Saturday (if your postal service delivers Saturday).

There are a couple other packages making their way through customs as well. For some reason it seems like it takes longer to go through Canadian customs than most other countries. Maybe it's so cold you guys just move slower, eh? ;)

Woohoo!! Got my drivers (yesterday, actually)... wow, these are gorgeous little drivers - build quality is very nice. :up:

Another huge thanks to Brian for seeing this through - I think he's set a fine example for how to properly conduct a group buy.

billnchristy said:
I have been living with my Jordans for over a year and would never even think to putting a ribbon on mine...they just dont need it IMO.

Hmm... I've read numerous comments both for and against adding a ribbon. Jim Griffin seems to prefer using the tweeter, but then, it isn't really a true fullrange any more. Jim's XO is at 3kHz, which seems to me a bit low w.r.t. keeping XO artifacts away from the critical midrange, although I do agree with his rationale for choosing that frequency. So, I must admit, I'm still undecided on this one - will the better top end of the ribbon more than offset the loss of XO-less 'purity'? I'll be putting this question to the test pretty soon - the G2Si sale at PE convinced me to order a pair, along with the necessary crossover components per Jim's design. If the G2Si's don't work out, I'm sure I'll find another appropriate project for them.

Initially, I'm going to build these drivers into a PE 0.25 cu. ft. prefab box (the handsome curved-side version), just as a quick 'n dirty (actually not so dirty - I've used the PE cabs before, and they really are quite nice - by all accounts they've only gotten better) way to start listening. After the initial "to ribbon, or not to ribbon?" testing, my plan is to build an MLTL (probably the Metronome), and transplant the drivers and XO to their final home.

I'm eager to see how they sound with & without the ribbon, and compare them to the Zaph L18/27TBFCGs, which have been my primary speakers for just over three years now. Alas, my PE order won't make it here until Monday... so much for building anything this weekend!

Does anyone know how long these need to break in? I just put them in an 8 liter sealed box with wool stuffing and am so far thoroughly unimpressed. They sound harsh to my ears. But the imaging is extraordinary and addictive. Does anyone have any experience with break-in or harshness issues? BTW, I am not using any BSC, just straight connect.

Thanks,
Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.