Justice for KEF Q100

Would you share the final exterior dimensions, volume and tuning of your enclosure?
What type of components did you use? In particular the 2 ohm inductor, did you use a laminated steel or?
I have a few of the Q100 drivers bought way back before Kef stopped DIYer's. I got inspired by AJinfla's idea of using the Q100 sealed and integrating it with a plate amp to cover the bottom end. Sadly until now haven't had the time to finish.

Last edited:
Jokerbre, did you make the enclosure or purchase it from a vendor. If you purchased the enclosure, would you please share with us where you found it?

I'm asking because I'd like to follow your lead and improve my q100s with a more robust--and sealed--enclosure but I lack access to woodworking tools. Thanks in advance for your help!

Kef Q100... yes i know that one. Do you really know that speaker?
Do you know that feeling when you see something, something that gets under your skin. Gently crawl under the skull and torture brain at night when you lie down, then gently whisper that driver it's the chosen one.

This is exactly how I felt when I saw the construction and engineering that was put into this driver. But the comments and various reviews indicated that it was just an ok speaker, and those things turned me off from buying it.

But wait someone opened the box and the crossover was only with three components.

One coil on midbass on tweeter capacitor and resistor.

Ok, I smell a rat.

This means war, Kef.

I prayed to the gods of DIY, and went to war against poorly executed Crossovers.

Made new enclosures, new measurements in new enclosures and these are the results.
Mic is Umik-1

View attachment 834277

Crossover

View attachment 834278

On axis

View attachment 834279

Of axis 0-10-20-30-40-50

View attachment 834280

3db/oct

I don't know exactly how the speaker behaves below 200hz due to the measurement in the room. This response is combined from two measurements, read approximation…

View attachment 834281

6db/oct
This is just amazing work. About to start a thread and project using this driver. I would like build an open baffle using the Mazanita GRS 18" driver, possible 2 in parallel, and crossover to the Q100 drivers. Any advice you can give?

This is just amazing work. About to start a thread and project using this driver. I would like build an open baffle using the Mazanita GRS 18" driver, possible 2 in parallel, and crossover to the Q100 drivers. Any advice you can give?
Without a full set of measurements on baffle both drivers I can't suggest anything specific as it would be frivolous on my part.

Jokerbre, did you make the enclosure or purchase it from a vendor. If you purchased the enclosure, would you please share with us where you found it?

I'm asking because I'd like to follow your lead and improve my q100s with a more robust--and sealed--enclosure but I lack access to woodworking tools. Thanks in advance for your help!
I made them myself from 19mm mdf, front baffle 22mm.

Already some years ago there was a project from Germany that has won a DIY contest using the driver from the Q100
Here a picture:
KEFir.PNG

The guy has chosen to run the stuff with miniDSP and 6 amplifiers.
One of the remarkable things i have read is that there was the finding that with the active crossover there is a chance for a slight improvement with a delay between the cone driver and the tweeter of the coax - there is no good chance to get this with a passive crossover.
KEF made a lot of research for the crossover of the KEF Blade - they stay with acoustical LR12 and correction RLC for the resonance of the tweeter.
I have made some listening tests with woofer + KEF R300 coaxial driver unit with 2 X miniDSP 2 X 4 HD and the best soundstage is achieved with LR 2 and not as usual for many other designs with LR 4.

Reactions: 1 users
Jokerbre,
First of all very impressive work on Q100 upgrade. I'm trying to figure out required components for you crossover design but having some issues with finding the exact match for following:
  • C6 26.2uF
    [*]R1 2.8 Ohm
    [*]R3 6.80 Ohm
    [*]R6 1.80 Ohm
    [*]L3 0.310mH

Do you think you could point me in the right direction, please? Thanks.

Jokerbre,
First of all very impressive work on Q100 upgrade. I'm trying to figure out required components for you crossover design but having some issues with finding the exact match for following:
  • C6 26.2uF
    [*]R1 2.8 Ohm
    [*]R3 6.80 Ohm
    [*]R6 1.80 Ohm
    [*]L3 0.310mH

Do you think you could point me in the right direction, please? Thanks.
If it's complicated for you, you can combine 10+10+6.8uF, it's not a problem a small change in value. You also combine resistor values. This project served me to get a better sound than the LS50 for less money. And I succeeded in that. Can there be a simpler and simple crossover? Yes, of course it can be, but my logic is always to do the best possible without paying attention to the number of components, but only to measurement and sound. When I achieve that, I can slowly reduce the number of components because I have a starting point.