John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
CG said:

Seen WHAT coming?

I recognized that you've built a preamp that has noise performance as good or better than an older design.

Based on what you've said so far, unless I missed it, you haven't finished this design as you are laying out a new circuit board. Is that correct?

This is the 4th MC in the series. Take a look and let me know if I'm a reliable builder and if you see any potential problems for the current design :)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=133136&highlight=

PSU on topic

why thorsten use cm coke in this place ?

Attachments

• cmc.jpg
    cmc.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 432
If you don't know what 'better sounding' is in fact, and you confuse it with added distortion, then I can't help you. I just design products to compete against any other designs in the known world for listening quality. Low distortion is good, but not as important as open loop performance. This is my finding, your opinion may differ.
However, I never add distortion, on purpose, and always seek to reduce it as much as possible without global feedback. Many here should listen to something outside their own pet project sometime. I have to, and I certainly did at CES. Some good sounding tube equipment there, good enough to frustrate me, as I have trouble competing with it.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
john curl said:
If you don't know what 'better sounding' is in fact, and you confuse it with added distortion, then I can't help you. I just design products to compete against any other designs in the known world for listening quality. Low distortion is good, but not as important as open loop performance. This is my finding, your opinion may differ.
However, I never add distortion, on purpose, and always seek to reduce it as much as possible without global feedback. Many here should listen to something outside their own pet project sometime. I have to, and I certainly did at CES. Some good sounding tube equipment there, good enough to frustrate me, as I have trouble competing with it.

John

Sorry, but I didn’t mean to sound nasty or something.
I was only asking for your definition on “better sounding products”

Cheers
Stinius

It is better to pick a transformer with as much spacing between the primary and secondary as possible. The higher the hi-pot rating the better, the most I have see is 4000v for a Signal brand split bobbin type. The copper shield does not help as much as splitting the bobbin as there is C between the primary and the shield and C between the secondary and the shield so high frequency noise is still coupled between the two windings. Common mode noise is the problem.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
PMA said:
Do not forget, Jan, that the screen eliminates electrostatic (capacitive) coupling, not magnetic coupling.

I understand. Therefore, even with good screening, because of their excellent mag coupling, toroids still couple mains borne noise to the secondary, up to quite high frequencies.

The split bobbins are much better because their mag coupling drops rapidly above mains freq, so they isolate mains noise much better.

Jan Didden

Well, it should be obvious when something sounds good, tastes good, smells good, etc. It is what it is, within our cultural norms. Maybe, someone who has never had a taste of wine in their experience, might not be able to tell the difference between a cheap wine and a good one, but someone who has tasted wine most of their life, usually knows when they are tasting a good brand or bottle. If one can't, then don't go into being a wine critic. It is the same with listening.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
john curl said:
Well, it should be obvious when something sounds good, tastes good, smells good, etc. It is what it is, within our cultural norms. Maybe, someone who has never had a taste of wine in their experience, might not be able to tell the difference between a cheap wine and a good one, but someone who has tasted wine most of their life, usually knows when they are tasting a good brand or bottle. If one can't, then don't go into being a wine critic. It is the same with listening.

John

I agree in that, but a wine has its own taste and add something or colour the rest of the tastes, an amp shall reproduce a signal, not add or colour the signal.

Cheers
Stinius

syn08 said:

This is the 4th MC in the series. Take a look and let me know if I'm a reliable builder and if you see any potential problems for the current design :)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=133136&highlight=

You are now asking for an opinion. I was and am still under the impression that what counted here was facts and results.

Your new phono preamp design may well turn out to be the greatest creation that has ever been put together. But, I am only asking for objective evidence, the same as you and others have requested in the past. Since this is not a completed design, it's kind of incredulous that you have declared victory. At least to me. Bybee, whose product I have never heard, seen, smelled, or touched and who I wouldn't know if he fell on me, was ripped here for not providing acceptable information on a product that at least people could see, touch, and try in their system. Why is this different? That is my point.

Many, many people have posted to this forum and indeed to this thread. They have ranged from relative beginners to people with decades of experience. Every one of their comments has been scrutinized and has either been accepted based on objective information, rejected, or just plain ignored. Often even when evidence was presented, but not in a form that was considered acceptable or within the scope of acceptability of various people's experience and outlook, their ideas were fluffed off and ridiculed. Why the double standard?

I was reading "Transistor Gijutsu" today (it's amazing how much content is there) and they had plenty of articles using 2SK170's. Interesting considering the status of Toshiba JFET's.

BTW John if one can tweek the operating point on a FET to cancel seconds single ended can a diff-pair be tweeked to cancel thirds? Within limits of course. You need an improved model to simulate it but one could always build it and see. :)

john curl said:
Open loop just sounds better.

I would say rather, for the job at hand simple open loop circuits work to the point of incremental or no improvement (with all respect to syn08 and other's efforts).

Again please anyone, show me a picture of a real phono cartridge playing a 3kHz 1/3 octave noise band (at reference level) from any test record without high 1/10ths or even percents of IMD.

CG said:
You are now asking for an opinion. I was and am still under the impression that what counted here was facts and results.

Have a little patience and no, don't flatter yourself, I'm not asking for your opinion. I promised more hard data after this weekend. Of course, nobody knows what you are looking for, and I'm pretty sure that as soon as you'll see the data, you will call for the GEB support :rotfl:

Meantime, perhaps you can share some of your own achievements? I don't recall anything posted here, but as you seem to be intimate with John, I'm sure we can all learn something from your experience :D

Status
Not open for further replies.