John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
john curl said:

Nothing really special. Just challenging Pavel's statements about op amps "dominant pole" "slew rate limited" etc... On a more general tone, challenging the "all discrete" approach in Anno Domini 2008. Which doesn't impact the merits and records set 20-30-40 years ago by John Curl et. al.

Edit: at the same cost and size, John? Ahem... And just in case you or anybody else is asking, yes, there's a lot to design in such a design. Starting with the compensation schema and ending up with the layout.

john curl said:
And this is what we do for a living.

Which is perfectly fine John, it is truly amazing that your reputation still sells. Not many audio professionals ever had such a long career.

Unfortunately, the "doing for a living" sometimes conflicts with the technical arguments and reality. That's usually where the golden ear brigade comes to the rescue.

Ovidiu, which do you prefer, this:

(Dispre2)

Attachments

• pim_dispre_s.gif
    pim_dispre_s.gif
    43.4 KB · Views: 608
You didn't ask for help. Here's an example of a discrete op-amp that you can't integrate. Note JE990 style inductors in input, but here circa 1966. The use of an explicit ground pin is now discouraged showing that even Dick Burwen didn't quite get it. Still can't find an earlier use of folded cascode as in that Harris op-amp.

Attachments

• untitled-1.jpg
    untitled-1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 638
I for one can *not* exactly reproduce Pavel's "PIM"-graphs, but slightly different ones, still showing some zero crossing shift with increased amplitude.

Albeit with a different amp (F5-style, but with bjt diamondbuffer frontend, which doesn't matter much in this context). It is compensated for decreased open-loop gain above the audio band (pole/zero pair) to better handle cap loads (10nF used here). When I remove the compensation and cap load, I get the similar curve "distortion" as Pavel with his dispre vs. 5532, better correlated zero crossings and overall shifted in time.... until I zoom in further...

Test freq was 40kHz to get a clear picture ;), and drive from 10% to 100% (of just below clipping level) into 5.6R.

EDIT: I recognize my graph doesn't match Pavel's

- Klaus

Attachments

• pim.gif
    pim.gif
    15.7 KB · Views: 519
john curl said:
PMA, they are just frightened of a new measurement technique. Even the experienced designers, what a shame.

For my primary measurement technique I'll rely on EAR sampling, it's old, but very high resolution. It actually aligns pretty well with the format adopted by the incoming QC of the end user. ;)

Actually I'm the end user so this works out well.

Status
Not open for further replies.