John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
And for context on my comments on the shure trackability please see attached the graph from the shure 1978 technical seminar (r) and Holman's chart (l)from his papers. The 105cm spot point is from a mono record and is clearly untrackable by anything, and possibly uncuttable?

Attachments

• holman_tracking limits.JPG
    holman_tracking limits.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 221
  • 29256.jpg
    29256.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 229
Chris: No hating, but some of the numbers cause a raised eyebrow. No one ever bothered to check their numbers and they generally only appeared in advertising print. All suggests there might be some harmless fun trying to replicate?

Certainly didn't mean to point a hatey finger at you, of all people, but wondered where the name Shure came into it. They really were the good guys back then, solid pocket-protector propeller-beanie-hat guys. I would disagree that their numbers were wobbly at all; everyone in those days worked with the same numbers. Shure, Stanton, Ortofon, B&O, some wacky Brits, everybody was fishing in the very same pond.

Doesn't mean that a modern look can't turn up something new, but vinyl records were made by people just as smart as us (much smarter than me, of course, but still) who did just that for their profession. 45 years later what are we doing? A simple Newtonian snapshot only shows how far we are from a detailed model, and, by that same token, how unnecessary a tons per square inch model really is. It's an impossible and antique medium, so we should enjoy it as is, not?

Much thanks, as always,
Chris

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Shure were the only people who actually measured and published on the limits of what was on records. It's always intrigued me that no one tried to counter this or publish their own numbers. It's fun to poke the carcas, same as drilling my own emulsion tubes for weber carbs.

Yes. But it need training.
I have several friend that have better at listening than me.
I need longer time to "understand" the sound differences.
We have slightly different ability of hearing, but the brain must be train, to focus and improve pattern recognition.
This is repeated a lot, but when it comes to small details that have a large impact on perception, say of the particular sound object (not sure of the technical term) for example, then it appears to be a largely instinctive thing?
Unless you are talking specifically about correlation?

Shure were the only people who actually measured and published on the limits of what was on records. It's always intrigued me that no one tried to counter this or publish their own numbers. It's fun to poke the carcas, same as drilling my own emulsion tubes for weber carbs.

Carbs! Now you're talking some reality. My old airhead's Bings are about to go under the knife. Say a little prayer for them. I'm at that dangerous level of thinking I understand them. Good thing I have a car for actual transportation.

Keep your freak flag flyin'
Chris

ps: what a shock - my airhead is 45 years old. That's 0VU BT time. It's cosmic, man.

Last edited:
This is repeated a lot, but when it comes to small details that have a large impact on perception, say of the particular sound object (not sure of the technical term) for example, then it appears to be a largely instinctive thing?

For small detail, the problem is hard to stay focus for long time, at least for me.
But when I focus at that event and I understand the difference, it is easy to focus again at that event.

I think instinct plays a very large role interpreting the differences.....correlation is the tough part.

I cant see how you can "demo" different chips - my bet is that you dont have that setup to do that clinically correct - if it is even possible. I'm sure it would be a nice and interesting visit but you would only "fool" the less knowing. You argue constantly in the whole forum as the self proclaimed DAC expert - always sure about the facts - your "facts". With great arguing come great responsibility....
Yeah but his responsibility is on an audio business.

Maybe not so hard as the mystery men make out? There are only so many attributes an electrical signal can have, even when representing music, it is just a matter of degrees don't you think?

Phase degrees...:p

Edit. I’d never heard of BB so I listened to a couple tracks including kerosene, gotta say even though I don’t typically enjoy screech music but there’s something to be said for the technique, if you listen closely there seems to be actual skill behind the noise! Bass has a funky edge, kindly like les claypool on the pipe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.