John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the T. Holman examples were production vinyl . IDK, to my way of looking at it, these were the best that could be done then, nobody cares now, and nothing more exotic will be made in the future. <snip>

Presumabyl, billshurv meant that Holman didn't compile the velocity informations himself but used informations from Shure, and as billshurv suspect kind of exaggeration on Shure's side.......

The information about the "cymbal crash" came from Hadaway (db systems) who measured the numbers from the record.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think it's safe to say that whilst Andrew considers Mark to be a "DAC snob", he, himself, could equally be considered a music snob. :)

Indeed. Glass of port, some French cheeses and a few very good vinyls and I’m set for an evenings entertainment.

Harry Connick Jnr vinyl arriving a bit later. Looking forward to that.

I agree it is simply a matter of degrees and that fundamentally our perception is more sensitive than a lot of people realise.

Yes. But it need training.
I have several friend that have better at listening than me.
I need longer time to "understand" the sound differences.
We have slightly different ability of hearing, but the brain must be train, to focus and improve pattern recognition.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I just might have to buy the last (or close to last) album Stan Ricker cut. I wimped and got the CD. Stan reported he broke a cutter head trying to get the transients in.
la Spagna One of Stan Ricker's Final Cuts is a Gift to Audiophiles | Analog Planet

But it was originally recorded on a revox A77 (as it much wonderful music on the BIS label at the time), so meh went for the CD for half the price and all the dynamics.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Presumabyl, billshurv meant that Holman didn't compile the velocity informations himself but used informations from Shure, and as billshurv suspect kind of exaggeration on Shure's side.......

The information about the "cymbal crash" came from Hadaway (db systems) who measured the numbers from the record.

It was a meta study where all the available information was pulled into to one document. This informed his EQ amp design wrt overload capability, GD and A few other things.

EDIT reference Jacob about 10 posts back

Ah, I see. But what's interesting here? Anything less than an order of magnitude or two is only interesting if you're dragging a rock down a plastic groove; then you're concerned.

But not by the difference between +20VU and +30VU. Both are simply beyond our daily life experiences and our first reactions don't matter.

I don't understand the reference to Shure. They're not some modern corporate raiders - they did the work, they flew the flag as long as it could be flown, they built phono cartridges as long as they could, as a biz. No hating needed IMO.

All the best fortune for us all,
Chris

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I just might have to buy the last (or close to last) album Stan Ricker cut. I wimped and got the CD. Stan reported he broke a cutter head trying to get the transients in.
la Spagna One of Stan Ricker's Final Cuts is a Gift to Audiophiles | Analog Planet

But it was originally recorded on a revox A77 (as it much wonderful music on the BIS label at the time), so meh went for the CD for half the price and all the dynamics.

Ordered the CD - £128 for the vinyl would require a lot of justification. I have some nice medieval stuff on CD that I haven’t played for a few months.

They were from a beautiful spot in Wales, and generously told us about it.
Closely connected with Scottish, Irish, Cornish, Manx, Breton......as one of the original British languages, the Welsh are rightfully proud of their language and it's survival of English oppression. Depending on the region it can sound very beautiful, particularly in the more rural areas of the north, and the intonation carries well into spoken English too.

Closely connected with Scottish, Irish, Cornish, Manx, Breton......as one of the original British languages, the Welsh are rightfully proud of their language and it's survival of English oppression. Depending on the region it can sound very beautiful, particularly in the more rural areas of the north, and the intonation carries well into spoken English too.

Woman speak British accent sound sexy to me.

Woman speak British accent sound sexy to me.
Particularly the more "educated" ones (I sound like a snob now :)) some of the younger generation seem to be sounding more East Coast (NY?) American, which, personally speaking, I just want to run far away from ;)

For you bimo, Helen Mirren wiping the floor with the toe-rag Michael Parkinson YouTube

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.