John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have been wondering why i never see this fet vs bipolar harmonic differences. I mean, low high-order harmonics only from fet?

Since the mid 1970's, I only use inherently linear topologies; Symmetrical, compl., push-pull types, etc. Maybe I would see the differences only in single-ended amp stages.

I threw together, the 4 transistor CMA exactly as published in TAA preamp art. using 2N2219A/2N2905A but not matched as compliments. As they came from mfr, there is a 20% Hfe difference between P and N types. At that time I didnt have an FFT. Just THD +N. So, lets see what an FFT shows;

It produced .0045% THD at any audio freqs. Mostly 2H. Zero high order harmonics. No 5, 7 9th etc. But with better matching or trimming, or other transistors that could be reduced.

But, No high order harmonics are seem. Just 2H and little 3H. Consequently, I still see no significant distortion advantage to using all fet circuits.

THx- RNMarsh
Can you give a little better pointer to the article?

...the folks that rave up the Benchmark 3 are on no more stable ground than the guys that rave this up...

All audio devices are imperfect, IMHO. One could call some things 'nearing the best anyone knows how to do at this point,' and it would be more truthful than to call something stunning or some other superlative.

One could of course say, 'this amplifier measures well, which bears partial correlation to how it sounds,' which would also be truthful.

But, people don't want to read things written in such terms. They won't buy magazines or read free ones paid for by advertisers (although advertisers probably wouldn't pay for it either).

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Did you see Samuel Groner's composite op-amp, -180dB noise floor and still no harmonics?

No. Already known we could do that with greater complication and lots of gnfb. With matched transistors this thing I showed can go down so low, i cant measure it (-160). maybe SG could.

However, thats isnt the point... how low harmonic distortion can be made.

It is that fets do not offer any particular advantage. Even less so, with unobtainable fets.

JC said he uses fets because fets dont have high order harmonics. But, this proves that bipolars in this and many topologies do not also.

-RNM

Last edited:
Talk about harmonics! This is from the latest issue of Stereophile, the review of the Balanced Audio Technology VK-56SE power amp. It got a great review and is "Highly Recommended". Sorry about the picture being sideways, but wanted you to see the THD and IM images. It is a 55w triode amp with only 3db of feedback. $8,495.
When guitar amplifiers are adjusted to make this much distortion, the settings are labeled "clean."

No. Already known we could do that with greater complication and lots of gnfb. With matched transistors this thing I showed can go down so low, i cant measure it (-160). maybe SG could.

However, thats isnt the point... how low harmonic distortion can be made.

It is that fets do not offer any particular advantage. Even less so, with unobtainable fets.

JC said he uses fets because fets dont have high order harmonics. But, this proves that bipolars in this and many topologies do not also.

-RNM

Two areas where JFET’s are better that bipolars are RFI susceptibility and input current. In the Analog Devices book “Op Amp Applications” on page 7.125, BJT vs JFET for RFI rectification, the conclusion is that BJT’s are 1500 times more sensitive that JFET’s. A bipolar first device in a phono preamp can cause current to circulate in the phono cartridge, so a DC blocking cap should be used on the input.

I have heard many bipolar based audio products that sound good to me, so both BJT's and JFET's can sound good with the right design.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Two 8-legs is not a lot of complication but frankly the THD stuff is lost on me (for audio that is).

You still dont get it. Or pretend not to? Not too sure how practical/scale-able up to power amp levels use it would be.

Unless, you are making SET amplifiers, fets offer no advantage for audio performance. Measured or subjective.

So, if JC amps consistently are rated more accurate (?) sounding it probably is due to a number of other things besides just using fets.

??

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.