John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean sonically? It sounds a little different vs DAC-3, less forward in the midrange (to the extent of maybe being somewhat understated there, can't easily help that with this design). Level of detail and distortion sounds virtually identical to DAC-3, IMHO (likely limited by what ESS can do).
Could-you try to give us feedback of what you (and others as well) noticed, working on DAC mods ?
Let's take a Sabre 9028/9038, by example, as it seems the most cited.
i have several questions.
What can be the major benefits we can expect in order to improve the listening experience, trying to mod an existing DAC: to work on digital side first, or analog ?
On digital, power supply, clocks (jitter) ?
By the way, what are, on your experiences, the effects of excessive jitter on our listening experience ? Separation, presence, localisation, sound-stage ?

... and the best engineers I know of disable it on tracks where dynamics are important, i.e. leave it off on the vocal track, but enable it on bass, guitar, etc. Either was preferable to DBX NR which had large dynamic artifacts. I have had the torture of transferring multitrack recordings with 24 rental DBX cards substituted for the Dolby A cards...not a recommended experience for anyone with hearing.
+1. (did the same, on my side. Dolby off on drums tracks & lead vocals.Just noise gates, to avoid adding hisses in the final mix during silent parts of the tracks.)
K7 is an other problem, which should have been reserved for the car, and whose dynamics were far too weak to be used without Dolby. We were already far from "high fidelity", despite all the efforts of Nakamichi to make customers believe otherwise ;-). Now, we have MP3.

I think the group delay in a fig 7 on the Y axis should be in ms and not seconds in the pages you just posted Chris.

Seconds, milli-seconds - what's the difference between friends? (Like the kissing booth at the fair, cost varies not so much with duration, but considerably with location.)

All good fortune,
Chris

Last edited:
Markw4, what I was also asking was what 'technically' did you change?

You mean to go from making it a little less good than DAC-3, to possibly better?
The last experiment was with grounding. There is an SMPS powered computer, an SMPS powered USB hub, two wall wart cube SMPS USB power supplies for Arduino MCUs, and three power transformers for the various dac linear power supplies. The grounds for everything are all tied together forming multiple ground loops, and with multiple sources of leakage currents. It is is stuff that grew as experiments required increasing complexity. The last change was to see what cleaning up all the ground currents and line noise would do. In other words, it was to see what it would sound like if the laboratory monstrosity was put in a proper case with proper power supplies for a dac of that nature, etc. That was simulated by plugging all the different power supplies into different ports on a Monster HTPS 7000 MkII (Thanks, Richard!).

Attachments

• IMG_0396.jpg
    IMG_0396.jpg
    624.8 KB · Views: 210
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    692.5 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_0240.jpg
    IMG_0240.jpg
    1,012.2 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
I will read the all thread before to go further.

Please don't. It is way too long, and the good stuff is only here and there. I just didn't want to take up bandwidth here going into what may not be very interesting for most. Much better to start there with a new post asking about whatever you would like to discuss. Many people who read the thread like to follow whatever topics come up, so its good all the way around.

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2010
The only time I ever tolerated using dulby was when I was listening to far away radio stations when I lived on a big hill in the country. That was over 35 years ago.
Check cxa20188 datasheet.It was launched way too late unfortunately, and only the latest cassette deck designs benefited of them, including the last 2 models of Nakamichi.
There's a good cxa dolby s chip too but the only claims of having it well implemented were in some very expensive pioneer decks which i never had so i can only quote other people on that.

They sound very well actually.
Lots of people run their digital sources through a very good 3 head deck equipped with a good dolby c unit and are very pleased with that, me included.
There are even better ways of dealing with tape noise, but i won't go any further on it.Just to have an idea:
YouTube
I have one of these too:
YouTube
Not many people know that pioneer made cassette decks with digital noise gate ,20 bit adc-dac...

Lots of people run their digital sources through a very good 3 head deck equipped with a good dolby c unit and are very pleased with that, me included.
Lots of guitarists like to run their guitar through a wah-wah pedal too.
Those in the audience, please put your hands up.
And fire on your lighters.

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2010
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.