John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, what a reminiscence! Zung, I'm slightly confused, when did we first meet? ...

We first met at the AES convention in Zurich, 1976, right after the JVC session I mentioned before. Then you invited me over at your house in Montreux where I met MB, and she showed me how classical music can be soulful too, and we all went boozing and clubbing. And you know what impressed me the most? You guys had a bird, it would sing in the morning, and MB would whistle along, in perfect harmony!!!

I also met Raiza and Gunther there, and you know what? I met Gunther again a few years later in COURT! There was some kind of water incident in a recording studio and a subsequent insurance claim; I was hired as a technical consultant for the studio, and guess who was the other guy at the showdown? Gunther who acted as a technical consultant for the insurance company! We had a good laugh while both parties and the judge wondered what the hell was going on. :)

I was not talking of live performance, but record production, the thing we listen at home and in our cars.
But what is the content you are listening to, some professor's lecture, comedian's jokes, someone singing, waterfall sound as background noise...etc.? And how would you obtain such source for replaying if not recorded / mastered?
Hifi. (I did a lot of live concerts P.A.s. for a big company too.)
Based on your post I've read recently, you have your own personal definition of hi-fi audio electronics thus there won't be meaningful discussions here. That is unless you would go ahead and revise your definition of hi-fi to align with the industry standard, then you will be using with the same language as others thus able to communicate.
Don't have-you noticed that we are several sound engineer, here, involved in electronic engineering and that we generally agree on most things. Mainly on the interest of making calculations with formulas and computers THEN listening with the ears ?
There is quite a bit of interest in selling products too which nets them money. :nod:

You were ok to here. But you jumped the rails.

The 42 hz is a resonance, a 3khz resonance is the exact same mechanism as the 42 hz. You cannot change the "properties" as you wrote.

It was a typo. No jumping. Moderator has corrected it, I thank him.

You said "You were OK here, but..."

Could you please explain that.

so does that mean you understood the "equivalence test" - I only ask that it be looked at.

So maybe up to that point you understood it. That's good, I am encouraged.

That test is valid, but it also needs to be understood and not so glibly dismissed as others have here - in fact they made no attempt at all. OK, so be it. Hopefully you have?

It's power is it simplicity and the maths correlates to what the back-EMF impedance is, and what it does as a voltage source and that it shows up in the SPL as picked up by a microphone. Yes, under those circumstance (which is present in every dynamic speaker system, even the one in your mobile phone), a voltage source affects the current of the amplifier as an impedance. This is not rocket science. It shows up as an impedance when you measure the impedance of the driver and look at the graph. Any value above the Re of the driver.

That last point, why should that observation be controversial? It's not even a claim.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Based on your post I've read recently, you have your own personal definition of hi-fi audio electronics thus there won't be meaningful discussions here. That is unless you would go ahead and revise your definition of hi-fi to align with the industry standard, then you will be using with the same language as others thus able to communicate.

:confused::mad::nownow::flame:

-RNM

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I lived and worked in the San Francisco Bay Area and grew up not far from there in Sacramento, Calif. I never heard the GDead live. .... barely even heard of them. There was just too many great musicians and music then. Later, Garcia started to be a great player and artist in many other ways. IMO. Then he OD'ed. GD is ranked 57th in R&R Hall of Famers.

-RNM

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
For the aging Deadheads I assume you are aware that you can get most of their concerts on CD now? If you can remember if it was 72 or 74* I'll ask a friend who has a collecting habit if its on one of his sets.

*I assume due GD in the 70s was one of those events where if you actually remember it you weren't 'there'. :)

For the aging Deadheads I assume you are aware that you can get most of their concerts on CD now? If you can remember if it was 72 or 74* I'll ask a friend who has a collecting habit if its on one of his sets.

*I assume due GD in the 70s was one of those events where if you actually remember it you weren't 'there'. :)

No need to ask, they're here. If you look real hard, you can find the set called Betty Boards: Betty Cantor did sound engineering for the GD, and she had the habit of taping everything off the mixing desk.

*I was sober :)

Joe Rasmussen, sorry to say this, but I fear Scott is right. EMF is a power source (P), Impedance, the load (R).
As long as V=RI, P= RI² or V²/R, as you prefer.;-)

Sorry, but you and Scott are yet to join the dots. That's OK, I don't expect 100% agreement, but the point has been acknowledged by others whose integrity and expertise are beyond criticism. One lives south of me and a real heavyweight and is somebody whose opinion I would gladly submit to.

Sorry, but you and Scott are yet to join the dots. That's OK, I don't expect 100% agreement, but the point has been acknowledged by others whose integrity and expertise are beyond criticism. One lives south of me and a real heavyweight and is somebody whose opinion I would gladly submit to.

Just because someone is an authority on a subject does not mean they are 100% correct or infallible. It's a textbook logical fallacy. The claim should be evaluated, not the person making it.

Status
Not open for further replies.