John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some strange reason, I keep "wandering" between the "don't know what he's talking about", "is just incorrect", "looking where there is no problem", and now, "trial and error is the way to advance" and there are "bigger fish to fry".
Happy new year, my friend ;-)

"Loud, low, clean: pick any two."
Happy new year to you too ;-)

Last edited:
Here are a couple of my favorite loudspeakers! '-)

Attachments

• wallofsound.jpg
    wallofsound.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 267
  • WATT1.png
    WATT1.png
    444.3 KB · Views: 201
No, the Bajazzo TS301 sits in my bathroom and is used on occasion, especially for lectures. It still sounds pretty darn good!
Of course, if I have to LISTEN CAREFULLY something, then I switch over to the Wilson Sasha speakers with a JC5 power amp, Blowtorch preamp and an MC phono cartridge, and I can add the Enigma super tweeters when I want to. Unfortunately, I usually play them too loud, 80-90 dB, and the apartment neighbors start to complain. For 60-75 spl, the Met 7's do amazingly well! I attribute this to the excellent TIME RESPONSE of the MET 7.

No, the Bajazzo TS301 sits in my bathroom and is used on occasion, especially for lectures. It still sounds pretty darn good!
Of course, if I have to LISTEN CAREFULLY something, then I switch over to the Wilson Sasha speakers with a JC5 power amp, Blowtorch preamp and an MC phono cartridge, and I can add the Enigma super tweeters when I want to. Unfortunately, I usually play them too loud, 80-90 dB, and the apartment neighbors start to complain. For 60-75 spl, the Met 7's do amazingly well! I attribute this to the excellent TIME RESPONSE of the MET 7.

One of the reviewers did remark on the excellent imaging.

Your wall brought back some memories. It was so awesome yet so impractical. Fun days. I can't believe that the first rollout they blew all the tweeters on first song. Do you know what that was all about?

jn

Joined 2016
Paid Member
JN - Don't be disheartened (though I don't think you are :) )
The line of hypothesis you have set us off on has a good shot at making a substantial improvement in the weakest link by far in the modern hifi chain....Exciting times! :)

Edit... Curious - I typed that and hit send a couple of hours ago! I wonder where it went :)

Last edited:
JN - Don't be disheartened (though I don't think you are :) )
The line of hypothesis you have set us off on has a good shot at making a substantial improvement in the weakest link by far in the modern hifi chain....Exciting times! :)

Thanks. I hope it is the case.
It is odd that the ones I look up to the most are the biggest detractors. But I guess that is the best avenue of discovery, keeping one grounded and constantly thinking.
Jn
Also weird my post duplicated.
It's a conspiracy I tell ya!!! It must be billshurv's fault...everything is;)

Last edited:
And this is what I listen to all day!

Interesting. This is what I listen to. Pluto specs

I'm not sure whether that is the 2.1 version, which inludes a shelving high pass on the tweeter EQ to boost the last octave a bit. Still probably higher than I can hear. Time algnment is handled in typical Linkwitz fashion with all-pass to delay the tweeter slightly to acoustically align the drivers. Imaging is very good for a small 2-way.

Nezbleu, your speakers have great frequency response. They were designed by someone I knew, who was a very good engineer, and I heard his personal speaker at his house and it was pretty darn good. BEST IMAGING I have ever heard, in fact.
However, my Met 7 speakers were designed by Dick Sequerra, who is well known also. He optimized them for TIME RESPONSE and it is subjectively better overall than any other speaker I know about, including my Sashas, etc. It is a different emphasis on realism that many speakers fail to get right. As I said, it depends on what you measure, and what you consider most important.

Last edited:
However, my Met 7 speakers were designed by Dick Sequerra, who is well known also. He optimized them for TIME RESPONSE and it is subjectively better overall than any other speaker I know about, including my Sashas, etc. It is a different emphasis on realism that many speakers fail to get right. As I said, it depends on what you measure, and what you consider most important.

Can I frame this post and put it on my wall? Many of your fans don't want to hear this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.