John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, it does look consistent with what I am thinking.

So, yah...:D :confused:;)

jn

Or this way? This 2nd compensation makes the transfer function in fact equivalent to a current drive.

Attachments

• compensation2.png
    compensation2.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 236
Are you suggesting a compensation like this?

On second thought, you are using the voltage across the .4 mh inductance as feedback.

My circuit cancels that out.. I assume the voltage across the gyrator is the real part of the terminal voltage?

Here are the waveforms. The first is the composite voltage across the Ls and Rs. Ls is 90 degrees out of phase, Rs is in phase, so the composite or total, is somewhere in between.

The second is the individual components. The circuit intent is to subtract the out of phase content, as that is all reactance. Leaving just the resistive in phase component, which does all the work.

jn

Attachments

• composite.jpg
    composite.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 226
  • separate.jpg
    separate.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
OK, thanks for the clarification, jn. However, please take into account what the voice coil in a real world is. The 1st scheme compensates just for Le value and non-linearity of Le. The 2nd scheme compensates for mechanical impedance as well and then you get in case is square voltage drive exactly square speaker current. Frequency response is then like that of the current drive.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Connect it exactly as per the schematic. Connect the coils at the "top". Drive the primary coil, and look at the difference between coils.
The plot should show the losses.
Jn

I think this is what you asked for. Plus terminals connected, amp connected to one coil. looking at the difference between low side of undriven coil and amp return.

I won't be able to strap this to a feedback network for a while. The amp is a venerable HP467A.

The driver is this: Amazon.com: Goldwood Sound Dual Voice Coil 6.5" Replacement Speaker Woofer Black (GW-406D): Home Audio & Theater Goldwood sound GW 406D. Selected because the cheapest and quickest to get.

I have another amp I may be able tweak for this. Not sure yet.

Attachments

• dual Coil driver low side differences high side connected.PNG
    dual Coil driver low side differences high side connected.PNG
    65.8 KB · Views: 237
Not to take away from the ongoing speaker design, I might mention once again about the spirit of innovation that certainly was evident in the USA in the 1950's-70's, that seems sort of lost now, except for computers.
Apparently the 'need' for analog designs are much reduced these days, so people simply don't invest much funding, risk, or challenge into them. I am glad to have been a young man when solid state analog design was a huge challenge. I don't know what I could create today at that level. However, Jack Bybee seems to be one step beyond mere digital quality improvements at the moment.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
In electric-mechanical lumped speaker circuit, the gyrator is used, as a standard, to allow electric-mechanical transformation, force = voltage, velocity = current, mass = inductance, compliance = capacitance, resistance = resistance. Serial = parallel. Bl is the gyrator constant.
Thanks Pavel.
Now in your electric-mechanical sim model
V1=Voltage source
R2=Voice coil DC resistance (Re)
L1=Voice coil self inductance (Le)
Gyrator=Bl (what value is your constant?)
L2=Total moving mass (Mm)
C1-suspension compliance (Cm)
R3=Total mechanical losses (Rm)
R4=Acoustic resistance (Ra) ?
L4= Air load mass (Ma) ?

George

Attachments

• gyr.png
    gyr.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 191
Thanks Pavel.
V1=Voltage source
L4= Air load mass (Ma) ?

George
It just dawned on me. Duh.

Everything that is coupled by flux is coupled through both coils. That means, eddy losses, acoustic transfer, Le, are all subtracted out.
The only thing that is not coupled is the resistance of the voice coil.
So the feedback parameter will be coil resistive voltage as well as any proximity effect resistance increase, which would be second harmonic.(edit: sorry, third)..

1audio, can you do a freq sweep using the coil diff setup looking for distortion?

Jn

Last edited:
Demian, could you pls. also measure the way I outlined in #11250?
The point is whether the JN-scheme actually results in a current-drive characteristic as it is expected from the theory, especially wrt damping and frequency response.
Of course, even more important is whether it renders less overall distortion than current drive because it's not at all clear which scheme is the winner. That would require acoustical measurement (after establishing identical SPL transfer curves, if required, which should be easy as they are expected to be close to identical anyway).

Thanks Pavel.
V1=Voltage source
L4= Air load mass (Ma) ?

George

Hi George,

Yes. Some remarks to R4//L4, they are a substitute scheme for mechanical radiating impedance transformed through membrane area (1/S^2) to mechanical side. R4 and L4 can be calculated from air density, membrane radius and area, and sound velocity. Bl = 0.2 in my simulation.

The point is whether the JN-scheme actually results in a current-drive characteristic.

I am not sure about JN scheme, but my simulation (No.2) resulted in a pure current drive from a pure voltage source. And there is an issue with transient response (resonance on acoustical side) as expected.

Attachments

• voltage-current_drive.png
    voltage-current_drive.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 170
Status
Not open for further replies.