John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the L review, guys. I only heard this D/A in a system full of Bybees, a Blowtorch, and a Vendetta, with an amp that I have a 1/3 design contribution that we have been working on for years, and I noted that it sounded 'pretty good' (for digital). It was in a corner, and I did not examine it closely. It IS impressive looking, however, at closer inspection.
Now, who would own such a thing? Well, my colleague does. He just retired from a HP affiliate as a engineering designer of microwave power amps (as far as I can figure) and worked at HP for many years. He appears to independently wealthy, at this stage in his life. He has multiple degrees in both Physics and Electronic Engineering from UC Berkeley and Stanford respectively. But then, what could he know?

I might say the same thing about the Polish designer of the Lampizator, as he has a degree in electronic engineering with an emphasis on physics as well. I suspect his MBA allowed him to be a successful businessman, unlike me (with Vendetta Research), I wish him well.

Last edited:
john curl said:
But have you ever heard a Lampizator DAC? I have, and it is pretty good sounding. Perhaps one of the best.
You prefer the sound produced by certain 'creative' electronic design. That doesn't tell us very much about the signal processing accuracy of that design, except that perhaps you and Mr. Lampizator have similar tastes.

Last edited:
In fact it would be very difficult to find any audible difference in an ABX DBT. I tried "no distortion" SS preamp vs. tube preamp with approx. 1% HD and the ABX result is like flipping a coin, on music. Of course, on a sine wave of appropriate level one hears the difference easily.
I also found difficulty in noting presence of H2 in relation to a multiway speaker with passive crossover network. Perhaps phase related issues mask the effect? A single driver speaker (which you stated to have lack of preference) tends to render H2 related difference easier to notice.

If you have sensible information say it.
You are way out of your depth re BQP or my filter method, it would be best that you refrain from carping.

Dan.

When you can write about your stuff and convey any information (any at all), not just troll some anecdotes, then I will take you seriously. You have been promising test data or meaningful demos for years, but nothing. You did finally put up two identical files which you said sounded different, but nobody could hear a difference. All of your "test subjects", if they exist, only hear this stuff in your presence. There may be a magic field effect, but it has nothing to do with your goop.

New article on atomic noise in conduction itself, and a new distortion/noise found (or at least named and potentially articulated, if not known of beforehand...-not everything discovered is new)

Electronic noise due to temperature difference in atomic-scale junctions

As for hack, I'd be a hack if I published a bad frankendesign built out of copied bits, since I'm not formally trained in some of the specifics. If it sounded OK and was decently priced and didn't fail too often, perhaps my hack self would be pardoned.

I'd be a hack if it was overpriced, sold well, and failed often. Hacks are usually the copying type."steal the best, fail to invent the rest", is their motto..... Is the given dood a genius or a hack? I dunno. Depends on your mood at the time, possibly.

Hack is a derogatory bit of psychological casting. It has to be invoked by someone and thrown at someone else. "This is my mental anger turd. I cast it hither at ye", kinda thing.

Last edited:
The article reads like discrete Seebeck-based noise at the very nano-est of nanoscale devices.

I've typically used hack to mean sloppily and hastily built. When someone is a hack, they never progress *past* that point. But there's a lot of merit to a hack job to get an idea tested and then go about the more robust work to incorporate into a product.

Status
Not open for further replies.