John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jakob2, you got it right on! I found this out when I lived for over 1 year with over 100 classical musicians in Switzerland. They could hear 'through' a table radio for what they wanted to hear, and seldom complained about 'fidelity' except for differences in actual instruments, like violins. I even married one, and she was the same. She put up with my hi fi, but no real enthusiasm. However, when we went to a LIVE performance with a famous Strad violin, she knew immediately what 'knocked me over' when he first started to play.

The true professionals don’t complain about tools or equipment often I have noticed, and can do much more with less it seems.

Just to be sure, I appreciate the value in qualitative testing (or at least qualitative data analysis) as much of the early parts of R&D in my world are essentially that.

I was wondering (and tried to assess that) your comment about possible bias effect due to "comrads/friends sending a new device ....and the deblinding.." as i think in this particular situation the influence of bias can´t be that high.
If you not just have to evaluate your preference (which of course could be influenced by the bias) but to describe the sonic virtues in a specific/detailed manner - including even a rating grade on each attribute- the risk is much lower generally.

Of course if the procedure is less refined (and not blinded), then for an observer it is impossible to judge the validity of this approach, but it is a common exercise for internal usage during the development process.

<snip> It's a necessary that the reviewers take the process seriously and have some amount of consistency to their evaluations (e.g. if we asked a reviewer to give his/her subjective opinion of a component, ideally blinded to that component, does it remain similar across multiple evaluations?).

That is indeed an important point.

My worry is more in the rigor of these evaluations. A short read through audio magazines leaves me completely bereft of confidence in the reviewers, as it generally feels one can replace the component name of a review with a similar class component and nothing else. In other words, are the controls and protocols for qualitative testing actually being followed?

What i´ve written so far was not related to magazine reviewers, quite often i´d say it seems that they were not following propper controls/protocols.

From first hand experience nevertheless i know that among the reviewers there a keen listeners who are able to seriously/consistently evaluate the sonic quality. It´s still a subjective process and prone to the normal human faultiness.

What is published in which way is a different "kettle of fish" and depends imo on a lot of variables.

Oh, I'm in full agreement about justified criticism being poorly received and guilty myself! My point was more to the social side of things, as we're wont to get along, and it's easier for us to give a free pass to an anecdote (rather than pressing a person for their methodology and detailed notes from a qualitative evaluation) than it is to accept a more rigorous experiment for what it is (which, oftentimes is that the methodology too loose and the results are too nebulous to draw any conclusions).

Nobody´s perfect.... :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Ed,
I really can't express how sorry I feel, especially so close. It takes a certain lack of intelligence to do these kinds of things to a people they don't even understand.

Do take care, and understand that most people aren't anything like this. I just now saw the news. :(

-Chris

During this quiet time, I might mention what I am going to try to improve one of my latest amplifiers. I am going to put the new 'battery activated' devices that Jack Bybee gave me some weeks ago into my new JC-5 power amp and listen for a difference. It's a hassle to try this, but I will give it a try.

During this quiet time, I might mention what I am going to try to improve one of my latest amplifiers. I am going to put the new 'battery activated' devices that Jack Bybee gave me some weeks ago into my new JC-5 power amp and listen for a difference. It's a hassle to try this, but I will give it a try.

Hey John!

Since you have the most experience with these, can you devise a test methodology to determine what exactly they are doing to the sound? Maybe put the devices only in one channel and then do a subtractive test against the unmodified channel serving as a reference signal path? If they affect the whole amp, then compare it against an unmodified unit?

Cheers,
Howie

Howie,

I understand your question, but I doubt that I could measure any difference with the test equipment available. Also, since these devices put out a 'field' rather than directly connected, it is almost impossible to separate the 2 channels in the JC-5 from the influence of even one device in the box. Now, I realize this is a controversial topic, so why did I bring it up? I did, because I believe in freedom of speech, i.e. , for me to talk about what is on MY mind at the moment, even if others can't even have access to the very devices that are under test. It is a bit like Dan talking about his materials and his listening experiences with them. I will probably never hear what he is experimenting with, but I support his right to do it, and to be able to express his opinions on what he has found, here. Now can I be in a position to imagine that there is a difference? Yes, of course. And I will do my best to be objective and fair with my listening decision, but I have to trust my ears and myself to not fool ME, so that I can learn if this is an interesting area to explore for future improvements in my audio designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.