John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
....yet the ear apparently can...
Can you post one and only proof( DBT result)?? Or only claims.. :rolleyes:

Back in the beginning of the 1980s we were able to find some evidence for sound differences between two film capacitors compared as coupling caps between a MC head amp and a MM stage (including the RIAA network) in a controlled listening test.

Of course amateurish as it was our first attempt at "blind" listening tests - as described earlier - after i´ve read two articles by Dan Shanefield about the necessity of these tests.
A/B test and five correct identifications out of 5 trials. MKS4 (polyester) compared to Polypropylen film, measured value <2% , input impedance 47kOhms,output impedance <100 Ohms .

It can be shown that a Teflon or Polystyrene input cap would have significantly lower dielectric absorption or DA, but the test equipment, mainly single or multiple sine waves, just doesn't notice DA, yet the ear apparently can.
Simply because DA plays no role at input cap with big enough value (no voltage change , no DA influence). Just opposite it is in filters (AC across cap).

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I'm not worried about DBT. Claims over several decades now continue to come in from the four corners of the earth. Many things are accepted as It Works, so use it.
Lots of people claim that crystal healing works, they can divine for water and talk to ghosts. Just because lots of people say it doesn't mean it's true.

The ancient Egyptians 2400 years ago used willow bark as a remedy for aches and pains. Centuries later, in the 1850's did they know it was salicylic acid. And after that how it (aspirin) worked. JC says, it works, so I use it. same - same.
That's because SCIENCE was used to extract the active ingredient. Henry Wellcome spent much of his life travelling the world to collect local remedies that he could then extract active ingredients from. Good science not flooby, at least until things went badly wrong with fudging results or not testing properly.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
yes. Its all been said before ---

meanwhile. I ran across an old system file from old HDD. I'm using 2Tb SS now. 10+ yrs ago.

3-way DynAudio esotar drivers. 400W/8 mono-blocks. 2- rear loaded and folded transmission lines with 18 incher. even a TT.

Picture2 096.jpg

I am saving those CFA mono-blocks for the 2 way JBL M2 and a new CFA for mid-HF. .. Still being built.... done this summer.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Simply because DA plays no role at input cap with big enough value (no voltage change , no DA influence). Just opposite it is in filters (AC across cap).

Two years ago I tested Mundorf M-Cap ZN 3.3uF against MKT1813 3.3uF Vishay capacitor in a high pass filter circuit, 3.3uF + 4ohm, at 1kHz, distortion vs. amplitude. I found no difference between these 2 caps, though one is MKT ("mylar") and the other one is polypropylene Mundorf - Inner Excellence

3.3uF + 4R makes 12057Hz cut off (-3dB), so 1kHz is deep in range where there is a significant voltage across the cap.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Two years ago I tested Mundorf M-Cap ZN 3.3uF against MKT1813 3.3uF Vishay capacitor in a high pass filter circuit, 3.3uF + 4ohm, at 1kHz, distortion vs. amplitude. I found no difference between these 2 caps, though one is MKT ("mylar") and the other one is polypropylene Mundorf - Inner Excellence

3.3uF + 4R makes 12057Hz cut off (-3dB), so 1kHz is deep in range where there is a significant voltage across the cap.

You should use mylar only, then.

See you guys in a week. Going on vacation from my vacation... too cold here... going down south Mexico coast. warmer.

<3

-RM

Last edited:
john curl said:
Let me give an example of a passive part that 'measures' OK with conventional test equipment. In fact it is often added at the INPUT of much of the test equipment available today that makes all the very low THD and IM measurements, and that is a MYLAR capacitor. It can be shown that a Teflon or Polystyrene input cap would have significantly lower dielectric absorption or DA, but the test equipment, mainly single or multiple sine waves, just doesn't notice DA, yet the ear apparently can. Practical engineers often go for the 'spec' so they go for the relatively cheap and space effective Mylar, because it isn't noticed with these test signals.
That's interesting. I thought it was well known that conventional measurements with ordinary test equipment show that mylar/polyester is a slightly nonlinear dielectric. In some cases sufficiently non-linear that in some circuits you can hear the difference. No need to invoke DA at all. Used correctly you should hear no difference.

Why give an example which undermines your own case?

Vishay took over the old german Roederstein line but in their nomenclature MKT means it is a polyester/mylarfor foil used, while WIMA used MKS for their polyester/mylar caps although MKS should originally mean that polystyrol is used.

Lots of people claim that crystal healing works, they can divine for water and talk to ghosts. Just because lots of people say it doesn't mean it's true.
The converse is also true...ie just because Mr Randi conducted one 'famous'
test does not prove that dowsing is not real.
Dowsing is no big deal, it's just understanding and using the senses that you were born with, and told in day one of school that you don't have.
A whole lot of health problems would evaporate if we all understood and recognised the positive and negative effects of ground radiations....the churches are guilty of great deception and misuse of this 'esoteric' knowledge.
Bill, try learning dowsing....hint, you have it in you already and the rods are unnecessary and are merely indicators.
That's because SCIENCE was used to extract the active ingredient. Henry Wellcome spent much of his life travelling the world to collect local remedies that he could then extract active ingredients from. Good science not flooby, at least until things went badly wrong with fudging results or not testing properly.
Peoples over long periods noticed and empirically proved that particular plants provided remedy and cures for particular ailments.
Mr Welcome merely tapped into that time proven knowledge, isolated and synthesised the principal active constituents and marketed them without the sometimes important cofactors....a perfect recipe for deleterious 'side' effects and not by definition 'good science'.
The medical drug world and the agrochemical world is full of fudged results and inappropriate/inadequate testing.....many unfortunates pay the price of this profit or ego driven dishonesty/folly.

In a similar vein to empirical medicinal plant knowledge, so it is that empirical audio knowledge has it's place.....the task is to discern what the ear detects and current testing methodologies do not.

Dan.

I might add that we don't don't really know exactly what is 'wrong' with the conventional circuits, except that they do not sound 'right'. Most advanced audio linear designers think that it is something that our measuring equipment cannot actually measure, due to the fact that our measuring equipment itself is made of the very same IC's that we are trying to test. Almost 50 years ago, the late Richard Heyser first made this claim, even before the test equipment was made with IC's like they are today. I agree with him on this. I'm pretty sure that in future, we will have a better measurement method, just like we once had to make a better measurement for TIM distortion more than 40 years ago.
I have thought of this test equipment/measurement conundrum myself....and agree that this discord is a distinct possibility.
As to what is 'wrong' and not sounding 'right', imho it's all to do with the materials involved in a typical audio recording/reproduction chain.
Ime materials act as 'filters' of sorts....each has a characteristic energy absorption spectrum and energy return spectrum and this is audible because of modulation and intermodulation products.
These low level modulations may be pleasing or may not be pleasing, and may give rise to preferences.
Some of these products are within the audio band and also out of audio band, maybe way out of audio band....who knows how high frequencies.
Perhaps audio test equipment needs to go all the way out to millimetre wave frequencies to capture the subtle differences that ears/body/mind/brain detects and conventional audio test equipment does not.

Dan.

Max Headroom said:
A whole lot of health problems would evaporate if we all understood and recognised the positive and negative effects of ground radiations....the churches are guilty of great deception and misuse of this 'esoteric' knowledge.
It is unfortunate that a discussion examining the truth of this rather peculiar assertion would rapidly gain the attention of the Mods. Let us just say that I have never come across any genuine church which even mentions "ground radiation", either to encourage or warn people. It seems that your knowledge of theology may be similar to your knowledge of science.

Hi Dan,
Well, you just answered a lot of questions I had about you. But don't feel bad, I have family that are about as out in left field as you seem to be.
Chris, I do have direct experience of dowsing and ground radiations, I do sense that minerals and crystals have characteristic 'feel/'vibe' (try holding a piece of high grade uranium ore), but I don't subscribe to seeing or hearing spirits or ghosts.....my feet are firmly planted on the ground, thank you.

Regarding churches concealing knowledge, I accidentally stumbled onto an uber strong 'healing' spot in the entry of an 800 yo cathedral in Switzerland.
I subsequently dowsed this as an intersection of two very strong energy (ley ?) lines that the congregation was forced to pass over twice per church visit....think it through, this is a conspiracy of the highest order.

The earth's crust is riddled with fault lines filled with concentrations of beneficial or deleterious minerals and compounds....these act as moderators/modulators and concentrators of the earths inherent radiations.
These modulations couple to elements/compounds within the body and alter physiological processes, and are well capable of causing disease and also the contrary.

Nothing magical about it this is old knowledge, Australian aboriginal elders are well versed in this 'hidden' factor, ignore or deride it at your own peril.

Dan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.