John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was already a dubious claim even when every DAC in the world used early 90s Yamaha and Crystal SPDIF receivers. It certainly is BS now with asynchronous USB receivers, SPDIF receivers with much improved PLLs, ASRCs, AES67, DLNA, or any other type of network audio.

So yeah, I'm gonna call that statement uninformed.

Some people always cried "BS" each time no matter how often there was reason found why indeed audible differences could happen. S/PDIF couldn't be (never mind that measured jitter numbered were found to be in the audible region), Toslink output audible different than S/PDIF couldn't be (never mind that measured numbers on Toslink were significantly higher than on S/PDIF and found to be in the audible region).

USB audio transport could cause audible differences? Of course couldn't be despite all the standards different protocols.
HDMI used for audio could cause audible differences? Of course couldn't be until somebody did some measurements.

So obviously two sides of the same medal; uninformed generalisations do not help......

Wow, I tried to install Adobe Audition, but the huge sum of 24,19 Euro/month made me decide to let this golden opportunity pass my door.

Hans

The rental approach for software is usually nice for companies but not for normal non-profit users.
But it could be that the filter section of Audition was of comparable quality already in earlier versions, so it might be an idea to look for older on the second hand market.

Maybe KSTR could help, iirc he is using Audition for some time......

Some people always cried "BS" each time no matter how often there was reason found why indeed audible differences could happen. S/PDIF couldn't be (never mind that measured jitter numbered were found to be in the audible region), Toslink output audible different than S/PDIF couldn't be (never mind that measured numbers on Toslink were significantly higher than on S/PDIF and found to be in the audible region).

USB audio transport could cause audible differences? Of course couldn't be despite all the standards different protocols.
HDMI used for audio could cause audible differences? Of course couldn't be until somebody did some measurements.

So obviously two sides of the same medal; uninformed generalisations do not help......
I fully agree with you that digital interconnects should not be taken too lightly and can make a difference in sound reproduction.
I still don't understand why, maybe jitter and noise causing inaccuracy in the reception, but I don't care and simply use the link that satisfies me most.

Hans

Changing frequencies through sampling/reconstruction (given accurate clocks) will take more than an alien technology. It'll be biblical. But we're living in the Final Days, so, who knows? Stuff happens.

Always the best fortune,
Chris
There is that possibility.

However, think fundamentals. Not sampling fundamentals, but the addition of two sine waves to produce a beat frequency.

I want Han's to find out if his post filter output is 17.5khz.

I would have preferred someone else figure it out, but...I would also prefer a winning powerball ticket.. Telling someone where to look is not as powerful as them figuring it out themselves. And to syn....yes, I figured it out overnight.

Jn

Last edited:
I still don't understand why, maybe jitter and noise causing inaccuracy in the reception, but I don't care and simply use the link that satisfies me most.
I'm still waiting for some correlation between these measurements, if they exist, and psychoacoustics. When it is published I will read it and set my personal bias accordingly. I'm not going to waste my time auditioning things that low in the scale of importance myself, I doubt I'd hear much of a difference anyway, and any preference would most likely change with the phases...........of the moon.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The rental approach for software is usually nice for companies but not for normal non-profit users.
But it could be that the filter section of Audition was of comparable quality already in earlier versions, so it might be an idea to look for older on the second hand market.

Maybe KSTR could help, iirc he is using Audition for some time......

It matters what happens on the receiving side - not often anyone mention that... I mean, toslink -> bigger buffer -> re-clocking; and you are good.

//

What about the concept of upper and lower sidebands JN speaks of? Not intermodulation that he was referring to?

Not exactly, the sampling process creates the sampled frequency and its image around fs/2. These are sidebands of the sampling process but what the data contains is the two sine waves spaced apart in frequency. The beat is based on the spacing of f to fs/2. The DAC must remove everything >22050 as part of the reconstruction.

Okay sure. We are calling the mirrored image above fs/2 an upper sideband in this case? So, failure to suppress aliasing gives a linear-like process result?

JN was talking about amplitude modulation (if I am not mistaken) and used 20 kHz in his example as the carrier and a lower frequency, in his case 5 kHz, as the information modulating the carrier. Spectrally that will create two sidebands beside the carrier frequency and due to the nyquist limit of 22.05 kHz, the upper side band would be above it while the lower side band would fall into the audio band.

"Beats" is what we are hearing if two signals of not too different amplitudes are nearly identical in their frequencies. 1 kHz and 1.004 kHz will lead to a beat frequency of 4 Hz, this is the reason why the masking effect is lower as expected when the beating effect occurs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.