John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless master clock sits near the D/A chip inside the DAC and playback device (computer) is slaved to it, all these computer based playback solutions will perform suboptimally. Think jitter!

This was already a dubious claim even when every DAC in the world used early 90s Yamaha and Crystal SPDIF receivers. It certainly is BS now with asynchronous USB receivers, SPDIF receivers with much improved PLLs, ASRCs, AES67, DLNA, or any other type of network audio.

So yeah, I'm gonna call that statement uninformed.

I asked why the 192k and not the easier 176.4k 20 pages ago. No response.

I have a 192k file that Mark provided. We are doing some exercises on small clips as an exercise not designing a DAC. Either sample rate is two lines of code, in place and no zero packing with the change of one number. Both of these sample rates factor into very small primes so the FFTW lib has no problem with them.

EDIT I was wrong the code is agnostic to the higher sample rate.

(for a 10sec clip)
fft_in_sig = np.fft.rfft(input_sig)
out_sig = np.fft.irfft(fft_in_sig[0:220501])

(plot result)

Attachments

• cymbal441.jpg
    cymbal441.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
RNM,

Do you really think streaming audio is practical enough to make a CD (or lets re-phrase that, say a hard copy of the music, irregardless of sample rate) obsolete?
To me it would be a PITA to deal with at a party. Worse than having to deal with changing/flipping the record (LP) every 20 or so minutes. To me, using a cell phone or a computer to stream music in a party setting are a PITA.
Need to differentiate streaming music and downloading music for storage to be re-used later, which basically means ownership vs usage. There is $ and profits involved.

Streaming and down loading of high rez files/music are both very popular over the internet. The internet has been the game changer here and un-hooks us from CD 16/44 only.

-RNM

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
In reality, 30ips recording can easily extend to 40KHz. I proved this with the Supermaster for Mobile Fidelity, and the Ultramaster for Wilson Audio. More commercial products from both Studer and Ampex can approximate this IF they want to extend their bandwidth by NOT resonating the reproduce head at 20KHz or so.
Here are some examples:

Only 24-96K, or DSD can approximate this. CD's can't, obviously. That is why Richard Marsh and many others, including me, tend to concentrate on the faster sample rates. Of course, we HAVE to listen to 44KHz day in and day out, but that is not the best hi fi reproduction that is practical or possible.

Sometimes, i think some people just make up things to fit their argument. My original recordings with 1/2 t 30ips and condenser mics was an amazing revelation and got me to appreciate something is very wrong with the process leading to a CD playback sound.... very different sounding compared to master.

D.Wilson (RIP) used the master tape to play and demo how good his speaker can sound. Both at shows and in his home. I first heard his best effort at his home and he used JC's electronics, master tapes. BTW he also used masters of a voice he knew very well... his wifes singing. That way he also learned what the recording has affected,also.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
The dust and dirt here seems to feed mold very well. So does the paint on my house. As I recall, the CD metal is protected by a paint job, perhaps that is food?...

Early CD lacquer was slightly hygroscopic, and over time moisture would penetrate to the Al metallize, corroding it...it was colloquially called "CD Rot." Lacquers formulated after 1990 or so in large eliminated this problem. Still, slight scratches through the 10 um lacquer coating which may be hard to see can cause the same problem.

I created a PDF to inform customers about optical disc replication, a link to it can be found here. (The lower-res pix in it are placeholders for very large video files)

Cheers and Happy New Year!
Howie

The filter I used is from a LTSpice library and supplied as a black box.
I entered a stopband of below -100dB and 250 taps.
But then again, what can be the purpose of trying to replicate this simulation.
What do we have to prove and why ?

Hans
Just for double-checking the filter response which you have not shown IIRC, only described in words (some dB down at 20kHz etc). I could convolve the 5x20 file with that kernel and have a look at the spectrum and time response, for comparison.

Care to share / point to that library? Quick web search turned up nothing useful (and I didn't expect someone to do this in LTspice which I love but consider suboptimal for this kind of stuff).

It's up to you, personally I don't care too much if we can convince JN of anything or not....

I created a PDF to inform customers about optical disc replication, a link to it can be found here.

It's fairly easy to see how the theories about the moon landing being faked, alien technology, etc. arise. These processes quite obviously are beyond current human technology. You sheeple can continue to believe that ordinary humans thought all this up. But I know better.

Much thanks, as always,
Chris

Tempted yes as have I been with getting a dummy head using molds of my own ears for testing. But like many things right now with two chaos butterflies in the house free time whilst my brain is still functioning at some sort of human level is limited.
:)

It 'might' allow a better AB comparison for sure.
This thread it's about doing comparisons of speakers, although the OP is interested in comparisons to "live" as well. Some problems have been highlighted and my rather complicated idea doesn't seem to help much. :eek: :) I thought some might find it interesting, any thoughts?..... Richard?
Suggestions for a stereo system recording method (binaural, etc)?

Best I have found for me is command line locate x | grep y . The music player I use in the kitchen does have a fancy tree search but the old and pathetic tablet running it barfs trying to load all the results.

My biggest problem is that I am rubbish with stuffing music into genre pigeon holes. To me there are two sorts of music. The stuff I like, and the other stuff. the rest is dreamed up by music journos to make them sound hip and with it.

The day I work out where to file Alabama 3 I think I will have worked out a tagging system I can use.

Try foobar2000. I don't ever search with it on my PC, but on my phone, the search is lightning fast. I only have maybe 10 GB of songs on my phone but it returns the query results instantly, even faster than Apple Music on iOS, which isn't that slow itself. Google Play Music is glacial in comparison. I guess it depends how crusty your tablet is - I've only tried it on a Google Pixel 2 XL and iPhone XS.

foobar2000 is still old school compared to something like Roon, but if you're using a bash terminal, it's probably an upgrade. If I had a home system that wasn't connected directly to my PC I'd probably do what syn08 does and use DLNA or AirPlay.

Last edited:
I have some weed or brownie for you, if you would like, I found it adds to the music & scope viewing experience. Booze does not have the same effect. Done enough to know the difference :) Abstainers just do not have as much fun = boring life, rock n roll and no weed, missed out on some good cultural experiences imo. I predict a good portion of the old rock n roll music had someone involved in the process that were stoned :) Oh yeah you guys listen to classical music right? talking to the wrong crowd. Even the late Louis Armstrong new this tid bit :) Do not take me too seriously, just having some fun with the intellectuals of the world :D
Back to your bits and bites hour :)

Are you campaigning against legalization :deer: ?

This was already a dubious claim even when every DAC in the world used early 90s Yamaha and Crystal SPDIF receivers. It certainly is BS now with asynchronous USB receivers, SPDIF receivers with much improved PLLs, ASRCs, AES67, DLNA, or any other type of network audio.

So yeah, I'm gonna call that statement uninformed.

Not to mention all the attention chip builders have given to find solutions by either using an on board crystal like ESS or having anti jitter provisions on chip like AKM.

Not to mention all the attention chip builders have given to find solutions by either using an on board crystal like ESS or having anti jitter provisions on chip like AKM.

ESS uses an ASRC to bridge the clock domains, which is why they can use a local oscillator - but your point stands.

I am not aware of anything special AKM is doing beyond the usual variations on techniques to reduce the sensitivity of sigma delta converters to clock jitter (ex. noise shaping and scrambling, switched-capacitor filters).

Still - I agree and it's the most overblown non-issue in digital audio, IMO.

Just for double-checking the filter response which you have not shown IIRC, only described in words (some dB down at 20kHz etc). I could convolve the 5x20 file with that kernel and have a look at the spectrum and time response, for comparison.

Care to share / point to that library? Quick web search turned up nothing useful (and I didn't expect someone to do this in LTspice which I love but consider suboptimal for this kind of stuff).

It's up to you, personally I don't care too much if we can convince JN of anything or not....

Here you are, all you could possibly need.

Dropbox - LTSpice filter - Simplify your life

Just as a general remark and not meant for you:
Knowing that a signal with massive sidebands will change after having filtered everything above a certain frequency, it's rather naïve to be surprised when seeing that the time domain signal has changed.

Succes with these files, giving a first indication with suboptimal results for this purpose as you mentioned.
I will probably have to invest in Adobe Audition for more accurate results, but first I'll await your findings.

Hans

For those interested..
One can download a demo of this plugin for his DAW software and play with all kinds of filter types and lenghts.
DMG Audio : Products : EQuilibrium
Reading user manual is a must.

Do you have enough experience with this product to know it is safe ?
When trying to install, my protection system warns me this program is unsafe ??

Hans

Status
Not open for further replies.