John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a sophisticated debate about GD recently. So what does this specific GD plot tells to me, is it good enough for audio, little, much? ITD concerns?

Attachments

• GD.png
    GD.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 212
Then, how far higher than 20kHz in your opinion based on existing spectra from instrument’s output (not from vinyl playback recordings). Serious question.

Is this a personal question or a general question?

If a personal question, then my answer is: anything over 20KHz can safely be ignored.

If a general question, then my answer is: I don't know; I'm waiting for somebody to come up with solid, reproducible data to decide, while not holding my breath. Since the red book, nobody was able to provide a shred of peer reviewed, reproducible, convincing data about. Except for the "expert peers" with a stake in the game.

There was a sophisticated debate about GD recently. So what does this specific GD plot tells to me, is it good enough for audio, little, much? ITD concerns?

Seeing as the worst case is 2 uSec, I'd say no, especially if it is in both channels.

Is it single frequency data?

If I were building a really high end system for imaging, I'd be far more concerned with the absolute symmetry of the speakers and the listening room. Electronics would be far down the line. But after reading Lavry, I'd get a DAC that at least does the zero insertion NRZ with a four pole filter. I'd see no reason to go past that. Well, maybe a 96, but no further.

Unless of course I hit powerball, then I wouldn't care, I'd go for show.

Jn

A good publication should either stand on it's own, or reference suitable information.

I asked questions of his writings that should have been within the writing, but we're not.

When I referee any articles for publication, these are the type of comments I will have returned to the author for revision.

I decided I will no longer address your messages directly, at least until you can define what would you take as convincing proof that you are fishing in a dead pond, where you can get at best a shredded boot out of the water. That is, what would you take as a proof that ITD has nothing, zip, nada, jack **** to do with the sampling rate, as long as sampling is done simultaneously on both channels. Math, measurements? Please note that I am not volunteering for any, since I believe it would be a a futile exercise. I'm not into re-inventing the wheel.

I'll make a final exception and suggest you to take it with Lawry and debate it with him, you may also suggest improvements and clarifications. I am sure he will be delighted to have you as an interlocutor. To me (and I suppose to all here that have a clue about this topic, and have no axe to grind) what he is describing makes absolute sense and is 100% correct.

Last edited:
YI have no idea what measurements could be shown to prove "no advantage of higher SR". Ever heard about the impossibility to prove a negative, and about the burden of proof rule?

And here we go again, "upsampling the CD format changes the sound", do you really believe upsampling brings more "information" to the original material? Is there a Maxwell daemon in your system that you would like to talk about?

You want endless and pointless debates and bickering, I don't.

Do I? Hmmm... I'll let others to decide. Have fun at playing.

I decided I will no longer address your messages directly....

To quote that wise sage Harry Callahan...
"A good man knows his own limitations".

Your a good man.

You continue your attack dog style of posting..you apparently adore Lavry and take criticisms and concerns of him personally. So much so, that you cannot post civilly.

I again ask, and clearly you do not have the knowledge to answer..nor have you found a Google hit to rely upon.
1. Is NRZ truly linear in that summed multi frequency waveforms retain temporal relationships?
2. If half width NRZ is so much better as Lavry indicates (page 5), is 1/3rd width or 1/4 widths respectively even better? If so, it is a truly elegant way of achieving 3 and 4 times the sampling rate with respect to output filter demands.

Jn

Usually measured in milliseconds

And its threshold of audibility

Blauert, J. and Laws, P. "Group Delay Distortions in Electroacoustical Systems", Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Volume 63, Number 5, pp. 1478-1483 (May 1978)

Frequency Threshold of Audibility
8 kHz 2 msec
4 kHz 1.5 msec
2 kHz 1 msec
1 kHz 2 msec
500 Hz 3.2 msec

Some more recent work showed that these thresholds may slightly decrease with the SPL, being always well over 1mS, anyway.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Welcome Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Question: How many of you have time aligned speakers ?

Me but that is more of some irrational belief hanging over from when I was young and stupid enough to believe magazine reviews. I have never tried changing the alignment to see how that affects things. Although now I have the tools to do it. It's on the 'one day' list.

And its threshold of audibility

Blauert, J. and Laws, P. "Group Delay Distortions in Electroacoustical Systems", Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Volume 63, Number 5, pp. 1478-1483 (May 1978)

Frequency Threshold of Audibility
8 kHz 2 msec
4 kHz 1.5 msec
2 kHz 1 msec
1 kHz 2 msec
500 Hz 3.2 msec

Some more recent work showed that these thresholds may slightly decrease with the SPL, being always well over 1mS, anyway.
Luckily however, that is not localization. If it were, we as a species would already be dead, as the predators woulda wiped us out.

Good paper however.

15 years, I still don't know how to pronounce his name.
Jn

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.