John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know exactly. It is well known from experience in the recording industry that mixing a record on headphones tends to produce a mix that does not 'translate' well to other systems. Just doesn't work. Mixes on speakers translate better to headphones better than the other way around.

Presumably, it has something to do with human perception. We are naturally inclined to move our heads, walk around, etc. Sometimes walking out of the room down the hall and back allows recognition of something that was perceptually missed. Might be a metaphorical elephant was in the room all along, but somehow not noticed/focused-on.

With headphones, each ear gets exactly what is in the specific channel. Lateralization is strictly one to one, and central image is within the head.

In localization, each ear gets the signal same way at first, but then after a small delay, each ear gets the other channel information. And the image projects in front of us.

If an absorbent septum were placed in the recording studio, the mix would be more like headphones.

Jn

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Not the same thing. That is pre-compiled Sharc data which varies by power amp model and the MCU/DSP-processor combination it has inside.
REW data are speaker measurements before filters have been designed.

Raw data. OMG What a nightmare. Enough to do EQ, Xover, slopes, GD and timing delays?

But, my gear actually exits to do it now. Unless, you are volunteering? I am sure the Audio-Video-Movie industry would love to buy it.

THx-Richard

Last edited:
Raw data. OMG What a nightmare. Enough to do EQ, Xover, slopes, GD and timing delays?

Yes. Although not raw data exactly, REW is a program that can import and graphically display the data. It can be used to help design better quality DSP.

But, my gear actually exits to do it now.

Sort of. For the existing Crown amps the DSP only works internally with 24/96 PCM, and the internal DAC is not good, neither is the ADC. If you removed the DSP board from the power amp, found the I2S signals and hooked up a better dac to there, then if you also used high-quality resampling of all digital music to 24/96 and sent it to the DSP board through AES/EBU, then you would have something that could connect to some better sounding power amps. Otherwise, the existing data that was downloaded from JBL is not of great use, IMHO.

Unless, you are volunteering?

It would have to be another project down the road. Don't have a finished SOA 4-channel dac yet :)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
With headphones, each ear gets exactly what is in the specific channel. Lateralization is strictly one to one, and central image is within the head.

In localization, each ear gets the signal same way at first, but then after a small delay, each ear gets the other channel information. And the image projects in front of us.

If an absorbent septum were placed in the recording studio, the mix would be more like headphones.

Jn

The one area that headphone do not translate well onto speakers is the bass. There is a tendency to record with headphones more bass to get similar feel of bass balance than you would with speakers. Then played thru speakers it is too much bass.

Not a frequency response issue, either.

-RNM

Last edited:

Jn

Also the psychoacoustic effect of direct sound & room reflection signals impinging on the various & unique pinnae surfaces in each person's ear.

Richard,
Yes, a Sharc chip. They use biquad filters mostly or for everything. The biquads in later Crown amps have different curves than the old Crown amp that was used for M2 development. JBL never redid the filter coefficients for newer Crown amps, as a result the newer amps actual response curves don't match the speakers as well as the original did.

Last edited:
Presumably, it has something to do with human perception. We are naturally inclined to move our heads, walk around, etc. Sometimes walking out of the room down the hall and back allows recognition of something that was perceptually missed. Might be a metaphorical elephant was in the room all along, but somehow not noticed/focused-on.

TBH I can't see how any of that would help with serious critical listening. Perhaps what you define as serious critical listening is personal and for others headphones would be better?

I dont know how many people have to say this to get some people here unstuck from their perfect CD sound. Except they dont know what real music sounds like, I guess.
Guess all you want. It's still free to do so even in your new place of residence, I guess.
Instead, we are defending CD instead of finding what and why it audibly falls apart from midrange and above gets progressively less accurate in sound.
And you know this from your pseudo objective comparison experiment? :rolleyes:

Statement 2 however requires some evidence other than 'I can hear it when the little light comes on saying I am playing hires material'. Or at least a credible theory. If these are missing then questions will be asked. This is not a lack of respect.

Unless of course you are just trying to stir?
:eek: (gasp) You just attacked him. It doesn't sit well with some forum members. You should stop correcting attacking others and let them continue to live in their own bubble. :shhh:

So, how do any of us know how good existing technology really is?
By using the listening method that you refuse to use, DBT.

Mark. where have you been, I covered this already, No, I mean accurate not like or better. I gave way to tell what is more accurate. with voice and with a cymbal in the room to compare etc etc. Real sounds vs audio gear. pls go back and read this forum, lately.
Wow x2, as if forum member cbdb is on your ignore list or as if you have forgotten the flaws with your experiment that he listed. :eek:

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Richard,
Yes, a Sharc chip. They use biquad filters mostly or for everything. The biquads in later Crown amps have different curves than the old Crown amp that was used for M2 development. JBL never redid the filter coefficients for newer Crown amps, as a result the newer amps actual response curves don't match the speakers as well as the original did.

I have no idea which is older and which is newer. So, this doesnt help me.

In measurments of the acoustic output, it is very good filter/xover. So does that mean I have the better matching filters to the M2?

But, if it was not, I can measure M2 myself. Or rather, i have a newly minted MS EE here (USA) who is up on the current dsp stuff. But. It needs a new PA more than anything else. IMO At least it isnt 16/44.

THx-Richard

Last edited:
And you know this from your pseudo objective comparison experiment?

By using the listening method that you refuse to use, DBT.

Wow x2, as if forum member cbdb is on your ignore list or as if you have forgotten the flaws with your experiment that he listed.
I sincerely hope that this year researchers will find a remedy for your strange orphan disease, or at least that an anesthetic, without too many negative effects, will reduce the pain it causes you and that you will find peace and joy.

YouTube

Last edited:
stop correcting attacking others and let them continue to live in their own bubble. :shhh:
Bill was absolutely correct in putting that there’s nothing wrong with “bubbles”.
But it may and often will irritate when the bubble owner starts Christianizing forum members with unconfirmed or dead wrong “bubble truth”

How’s that for a new word to be added to the dictionary :D:D

Hans

I have no idea which is older and which is newer.

Would have to look around to see where the info I have/had on that is located. Don't think it was specific about amp model numbers though.

In measurments of the acoustic output, it is very good filter/xover. So does that mean I have the better matching filters to the M2?

If you have EEs that are recent graduates maybe they have some DSP training. If so, maybe they could figure out how to use REW, Re-phase, and or Foobar2000 convolution to do something you might be interested in.

Some possible links of interest:
REW - Room EQ Wizard Room Acoustics Software
rePhase - Official Site - Free FIR filtering tool
foo_dsp_xover

Think I sent you a link to my M2 collection of data before, but I could send it again, or maybe just the REW data?

EDIT: Sorry, data is actually in Re-Phase format.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.