John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually measured in milliseconds
Usually ?
group%20delay.jpg

(My remark [humour inside] was of a more generic object)

Last edited:

Thanks.

The only reference which deals with the audibility relies on the same infinitely debunked as flawed Oohashi paper results/data that nobody was ever able to reproduce and confirm.

Given the existence of musical-instrument energy above 20 kilohertz, it is natural to ask whether the energy matters to human perception or music recording. The common view is that energy above 20 kHz does not matter, but AES preprint 3207 by Oohashi et al. claims that reproduced sound above 26 kHz "induces activation of alpha-EEG (electroencephalogram) rhythms that persist in the absence of high frequency stimulation, and can affect perception of sound quality."

The last reference deals with AI sound/instrument recognition, which is a very interesting topic, but beyond the scope of the current discussion (I think) since Richard, T-E or anybody else would not have a problem recognizing a cymbal sound recorded on a CD.

since Richard, T-E or anybody else would not have a problem recognizing a cymbal sound recorded on a CD.
Recognize that it is a cymbal, not. But to can state it is a Paiste or a Zildjian, may-be.
And we would still be far from making it appear that it is really in the room.

What is your problem, and why the hell do you want us to stay at minima ?
Overkill never killed somebody more.

When we reach the limit and it is not set in stone, we can always advance a little more, even if the means used increase in a hyperbolic way as we approach.
It's up to everyone to decide where to pitch their tent.

Last edited:
Recognize that it is a cymbal, not. But to can state it is a Paiste or a Zildjian, may-be.

Yeah, maybe. Not m-aybe, ma-ybe, may-be, mayb-e, but maybe.

But, myself, I don't care about identifying the cymbal brand, YMMV. And I dare to believe 99.99999% don't, as well. One good reason why the red book survived.

And stop putting words in my mouth, you were already warned about. If you didn't realize yet, then know I don't want anybody necessary liking CDs.

Last edited:
Because, being 2 and 4 they also have the attention span of midges other than if the TV is on at which point their brains shut down and they won't answer your questions :D. I need to come up with something more Pavlovian to get them to pay attention.

Not to mention that somehow I don't think they can afford yet any high end audio products with crazy bandwidth and slew rate.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Stickers. . . Its all you need at that age. I wished they worked for older subjects.

Stickers cause fights. Plus mini-Kali can strip a 1000 piece sticker book in under 5 minutes. She's like a Piranha.

Bill,

Cookies, if you have let them learn about them. You know the Pavlov bit, play a tone if they notice cookie time. 4 year old probably can act as a model for the younger.

You clearly have not seen how devious a small child can be when there is food on offer. Would take me an age to work out a blinding protocol whereby they wouldn't just claim they could hear it to get the treat! What's directivity like at that frequency? If I tell them to point at the source of the sound to get a treat at least I'll know if they are cheating :D

Not to mention that somehow I don't think they can afford yet any high end audio products with crazy bandwidth and slew rate.

No their dad has those. Pains me to Play Raffi through a good system but there we go. 22 years of Baby Beluga with some time off in the middle for good behaviour...

Would take me an age to work out a blinding protocol whereby they wouldn't just claim they could hear it to get the treat!

Not that hard, really. All you need is a good protocol in which they get the treat only if they provide the right answer. It is true that, since your interests do not overlap, they could be happy with a null result, and answer randomly for a statistical 50% treat hit rate.

Bill,

Pavlov, when they hear the tone a cookie is in a set location they can't see. Tone is randomly played. Maybe one day and not the next... They shouldn't be able see the source and you don't need to be seen or even in the room. Start at say 15,000 hertz and step it up until they don't respond. They need not know it is an experiment.

First have them associate a tone with a cookie. Then up the frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.