John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you mean by 'magic tricks'.....do tell.
May-I answer at the place of Simon ?
Every sound engineer understands instantly this sentence. We often qualify some studios as "Magic rooms". It is a combination of several things, acoustic, electronic, mics, atmosphere, that mysteriously help to create better recorded music.

Working, kinda blind despite all the little knowledge we can have, behind a mixing desk, is an attempt to find some sort of truth. It is complicated. As if we were, in photography, trying to find the perfect focus on an instrument, which will lose its focus when on another instrument will be in focus.
The goal being to produce a nice and believable landscape. Probably the same thing you are looking for when trying to bring life to an audio system.
The 'magic tricks' are all those methods we had found, with time, as "working" to re-use a sentence of J.C. We all have our owns.

Last edited:
May-I answer at the place of Simon ?
Every sound engineer understands instantly this sentence. We often qualify some studios as "Magic rooms". It is a combination of several things, acoustic, electronic, mics, atmosphere, that mysteriously help to create better recorded music.

Working, kinda blind despite all the little knowledge we can have, behind a mixing desk, is an attempt to find some sort of truth. It is complicated. As if we were, in photography, trying to find the perfect focus on an instrument, which will lose its focus when on another instrument will be in focus.
The goal being to produce a nice and believable landscape. Probably the same thing you are looking for when trying to bring life to an audio system.
The 'magic tricks' are all those methods we had found, with time, as "working" to re-use a sentence of J.C. We all have our owns.
Sure, I think Ed dropped a hint about phase eq which would be unique to each installation but maybe broadly transportable to other installations.....Ed ?.
Sure, amplitude eq and phase eq are one set of parameters to get right, my approach is totally different and interestingly/usefully phase and amplitude errors become much less obnoxious when the system excess noise is rendered innocuous or rendered tuneful.

Gads. I assume one gets a contract and both sides take it to a lawyer experienced in contract law for review. ... suggest word changes et al. California is very fair to the inventor or designer. You can take your knowledge with you to another company. Your old company cannot prevent you from using your own intellectual property to compete with them. You really should get a lawyer, JC. Before signing anything. If it wasnt in writing, it is not so. Anything said, promised, implied etc does not count in business. Only what was agreed to in writing is what counts.
All... get a lawyer, and get an Agreement before signing anything and before starting any work.
THx-RNMarsh

This is good advice and certainly the minimum. Even following this course, the other party may (will in my case) decide to violate the agreement. Then it becomes a war of who has the most money to spend on lawyers that often determines the outcome. As I was an individual I lost because I couldn't afford the litigation against a large company. I couldn't even afford to litigate a temporary restraint of sale judgement pending trial. I'm afraid in many (most?) cases justice is awarded to the richer party...

My philosophy now is crank things to market and immediately start working on the next one. You know someone is going to copy it and blast yours out of the market at a lower cost, and litigation is a waste of time. JC3s for $500 anyone? Sorry John...

Happy Thanksgiving, all you US DIYer's!
Howie

Lawyer-ing up

Gads. I assume one gets a contract and both sides take it to a lawyer experienced in contract law for review. ... suggest word changes et al. California is very fair to the inventor or designer. You can take your knowledge with you to another company. Your old company cannot prevent you from using your own intellectual property to compete with them. You really should get a lawyer, JC. Before signing anything. If it wasnt in writing, it is not so. Anything said, promised, implied etc does not count in business. Only what was agreed to in writing is what counts.

All... get a lawyer, and get an Agreement before signing anything and before starting any work. .

THx-RNMarsh

In medicine, NDA's are the de facto standard. Luckily, b4 my wife split off from her multi physician practice in 2001 to "go it alone", with me managing we had her NDA requirement dismissed, since, at the time here in Kentucky, NDA's in medicine were declared anti-competitive.

Her ex partner tried everything in the book to sabotage our practice, to her own detriment (healthwise). Later in the early 2000's, KY reinstated the legality of NDA's so we dodged that bullet, as her NDA would have prevented competition within 100 miles for 10 years.

So sometimes, lawyers are completely useless.

We've been retired now for 6 years, so most of this crap is moot. Making more in the market now than I ever did in medicine. Go figure...

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
We starting the reflection bridge thing again?

Jn

76759965_10220480673315330_9169381111078322176_o.jpg

-RNM

Status
Not open for further replies.