John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is US Patent 5,260,862 issued to Richard Marsh in 1991

Thanks, Mark. And, yeah, if the referee goes by Manny, that's just the guy you want doing all the patents for utility-level electrical systems. :D

Richard, that's what I was trying to say--the link I gave just showed the parasitic series inductance/resistance of the respective capacitors and the self inductance of the traces. Yours is a many-tap explicit RLC array. I'm admittedly surprised you were able to get this patent, truth be told, but 1991 means it's well past its last renewal.

This kind of shows how you guys really think about the efforts and successes of others. Richard got a patent on something that he developed. You should congratulate him for his success, rather than berate the patent.
Of course, most patents are just annoyances that people inflict on each other, AND if you don't have big money to back it, others will just steal it with impunity. That is why I have never bothered to patent anything other than the one that Mark Levinson paid for. And he only wanted the patent to attempt to take control of the circuit from me by having me 'assign' the patent to him, which I did not. In his disappointment of not being able to take advantage of me, he kept the original paperwork just to annoy me.
Patents can be useful in deterring people from directly copying only if you are prepared to sue. I was not, so Ortofon and others copied my patented JC-1 design over my protest. That's life folks!

John, I think Scott's reply to my surprise hits the nail on the head. I'm more surprised by the awarding of said patent than anything, which speaks more to our patent system than Richard's contribution. Also why I wonder about its enforceability, given prior art.

As Richard wrote, though, patents are "complicated".

One thing I notice on this thread a lot. You guys start throwing around EE, science jargon in joking almost non sequitur manners. It's your insiders moose club handshake. You secretly chuckle in unison because you know the proletariat doesn't get it.

This is a way to wave a flag that you know you are smart that can be seen by other smart people.

Why do you have to wave the flag here? Because you really don't know what it takes to design a truly great audio circuit and you have to use the flag as a mask of dignity.

No, the flag is waved as a reminder: beware the Mother of Stupidity, it is always pregnant.

Thanks, Mark. And, yeah, if the referee goes by Manny, that's just the guy you want doing all the patents for utility-level electrical systems. :D

Richard, that's what I was trying to say--the link I gave just showed the parasitic series inductance/resistance of the respective capacitors and the self inductance of the traces. Yours is a many-tap explicit RLC array. I'm admittedly surprised you were able to get this patent, truth be told, but 1991 means it's well past its last renewal.
The patent is for a harmonic filter. A similar circuit has been used to remove harmonics from HV AC/DC transmission systems since the 1930s.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Robert,
One thing I notice on this thread a lot. You guys start throwing around EE, science jargon in joking almost non sequitur manners.
It's not a secret handshake. It's just easier to discuss these matters using accepted industry jargon. High end audio has it's own jargon, much of which totally escapes me. Some stuff is just made up, and that's annoying when it contradicts known scientific principles. Especially when the defense is "it could be, how do you know this isn't true?". Then of course the folks who just like to enjoy music can't understand what they are being told. It would be much easier for everyone to do a little studying in the electronics field so they can at least understand what is going on. Then they wouldn't be taken in by snake oil salesmen.

-Chris

Joined 2014
Paid Member
One thing I notice on this thread a lot. You guys start throwing around EE, science jargon in joking almost non sequitur manners. It's your insiders moose club handshake. You secretly chuckle in unison because you know the proletariat doesn't get it.
And yet YOU decide to use Latin? And reference Marx?

Why do you have to wave the flag here? Because you really don't know what it takes to design a truly great audio circuit and you have to use the flag as a mask of dignity.

So by your own rule you're in the club who don't know. welcome.

When would I have said that ?
Don't have-you understand the meaning of my message to answer-it with exactly the same kind of attitude ?

Honest question: do you live in a purely relative world where every idea is held to the same merit? Because my point was that no amount of thinking a circuit will behave a certain way or produce an effect will cause the circuit to change what exactly it's going to do based on the rules governing it. Maxwell's equations has much greater control of the situation than our hopes and aspirations, so it's best if we align ourselves with nature's rules.

Of course one can design a different circuit if one chooses. But to make the example tangible, bypassing a large electrolytic at its pins will not materially change the hf impedance of the circuit several centimetres of wire and pcb away. The self inductance of the write will dominate at high frequency. That's why bypass needs to be done as close to the load as physically possible with the appropriate compromise between bypass capacitor package and its ability to store charge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.