John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
All I need to hear sports game announcers.

Well based on those limited measurements I can't see anything that would make me run screaming from the room. And that is on a 32 tone test which as you know I think is a lot more useful than a basic THD or IM sweep. I'd need some convincing that DAC is not all you really need with a more powerful output. At least if it wasn't tied into an apple product.

He did say attack the theories or is it now a personal attack to say someone is wrong?
It is, omho, and as i was teached by my parents as well as in the university.
And, according to your signature and your personal behavior in this matter, it seems to me you know the difference between "You are wrong" and "your theorie seems wrong", followed by the point by point arguments to try to demonstrate-it.
No attack *convinces* an opposant, even if he is vanquished, whatever the weapons used.
The level of aggressiveness and rudeness in this forum has reached an unbearable level.

I recognized you under your new false beard ;-)

Last edited:
What are some of the commercially available dacs that this is implemented?
Under <$1k .....preferably <$500

I’m in the market for standalone dac to mess around with.

I don’t have the abilities to build one.....maybe one that’s easily modified should be in the criteria. Or even loaded boards (is that the correct term?) to be assembled (with decent instructions!)
If you want a USB DAC, this CM6631A PRO ES9023 board is well laid out and has space enough to enable cap rolling (including Supercap) and oscillator rolling.
This USB powered board has DC coupled RCA outputs and cap coupled ST3.5mm analog outputs, digital spdif outputs are Toslink and Coaxial.
There is also a row of I2C pins for quick connection of different DAC stage for DAC board rolling too !.
By any standards this minimalist design is a good sounding DAC board and is also experimenter friendly, highly recommended.

Dan.

Attachments

• dac top.jpg
    dac top.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 196
  • dac bottom.jpg
    dac bottom.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
If you want a USB DAC, this CM6631A PRO ES9023 board is well laid out and has space enough to enable cap rolling (including Supercap) and oscillator rolling.
This USB powered board has DC coupled RCA outputs and cap coupled ST3.5mm analog outputs, digital spdif outputs are Toslink and Coaxial.
There is also a row of I2C pins for quick connection of different DAC stage for DAC board rolling too !.
By any standards this is a good sounding DAC board and it is also experimenter friendly, recommended.

Dan.

Thanks dan,

I’ve got two ess based dacs (integrated) now....one is Sabre9006AS based in a Yamaha RN803 integrated reciever, other is 9018k2m based in the parasound Halo Integrated.
I end up using the one in my elac streamer with dual CS4398 based dac....it just seems smoother than both ess

I do realize implementation means a lot but anything I’ve heard with a ess chip seems a bit sharp.

Also don’t have any usb based outputs.

Last edited:
What are some of the commercially available dacs that this is implemented?
Under <$1k .....preferably <$500

I’m in the market for standalone dac to mess around with.

I don’t have the abilities to build one.....maybe one that’s easily modified should be in the criteria. Or even loaded boards (is that the correct term?) to be assembled (with decent instructions!)

I noticed Nagra have started using super/ultra caps in some of their
power supplies.

Go figure! :)

T

....Have you considered that without the battery or supercap your a PSU may just have been sub-optimal (it happens - part of the dev process) and adding the battery or supercap simply cleaned it up? Might be an idea to redo the experiment but with additional controls.
Of course adding a very large cap across any existing supplies will change the sound but it seems there is an 'extra' in this instance and like I said I expect carbon electrodes is the cause.

Dan.

Thanks Dan,
I do realize implementation means a lot but anything I’ve heard with a ess chip seems a bit sharp.
Different ESS chip, different implementation.....the board I have sounds great, fully fast clear and powerful, if anything the highs are ever so slightly laid back and are never overpowering.
Also don’t have any usb based outputs.
Ok not for you now but if you run a PC/Laptop as music player, IMO this board is quite ideal and is readily tweakable for those so interested..

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.