John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi miklos,
Yes, I vaguely remember that. I thought it should be brought up again for those members who weren't around yet back then.

O.T. question for you. Will you be attending the DIYAudio/CAM meet on the 14th this month? There is a thread on it and it's being held on the north east side of Toronto. I didn't know if you were aware of this. It's on a Saturday.

-Chris

I want to thank those who have given constructive inputs as to RFI proof my CTC Blowtorch. Fortunately, I have no RFI problems at my location in Berkeley, so I don't think that I need to do anything special for the rest of my life, as it would appear. I have learned a thing or two from your inputs however, thanks again.

It's refreshing to hear your gratitude despite a sea of everything from ridicule to just plain rudeness.

On a different subject (slightly), how is your DAC going? I'm interested whether you can get the ES9038 to 'sing'... IMV not an easy task.

Personally I've given up on ESS DAC chips (for the moment) and gone back 10+ years to the PCM1794. Newer is not necessarily better.

T

Joined 2002
Paid Member
It's refreshing to hear your gratitude despite a sea of everything from ridicule to just plain rudeness.

Where was this kind of negative response you are referring to?
This is supposed to be a place for discussion and arguments on technical issues, rather than :bfold: :worship:

and gone back 10+ years to the PCM1794. Newer is not necessarily better.

True.
And those boring engineers, always with mediocre component choices

George

Attachments

• PCM1794.PNG
    PCM1794.PNG
    64.3 KB · Views: 311
Hi George, I am fiddling with a Chinese PCM1794 board at the moment. Reason is I want to hang some good DAC's behind a MiniDSP Nanoshark to see if that can be better than the analog active xovers I cobbled together. So I came across this schematic a couple of weeks ago. The combination of NE5534 and LT1028 was very amusing to see.

Btw, the PCM1794 can easily be beat on distortion by ES90x8 and AK4497.

Hi George, I am fiddling with a Chinese PCM1794 board at the moment. Reason is I want to hang some good DAC's behind a MiniDSP Nanoshark to see if that can be better than the analog active xovers I cobbled together. So I came across this schematic a couple of weeks ago. The combination of NE5534 and LT1028 was very amusing to see.

Btw, the PCM1794 can easily be beat on distortion by ES90x8 and AK4497.

WRT easily beat - yes, by someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

If you know what you are doing, all of those DAC's can offer similar performance distortion wise. They all have their own particular trade offs in a real world (complete DAC) application.

WRT those experts taking pot shots at the 1794 data sheet OP stage (5534 etc), who can tell me what the DR of the DAC really is?

T

ridikas said:
Subjectively, I can hear ferrite beads on interconnect cables as having a negative impact on sound. While it's hard to explain in words, to me personally it sounds like extra overall hash has been introduced and maybe even some comb filter effect.
Was this before or after you were told the ferrites were present? Common-mode or differential?

If RF is not a problem in 99.9% of the cases, then why introduce something that some careful listeners object to?
Big "if". Anyway, how would you know whether RF is a problem? It has to be quite bad to be perceived as such, but long before this point it is adding extra 'detail' and 'sparkle' to your music. It could be the removal of these spurious artifacts which people miss when ferrites are added.

But these are small differences. Would be very hard to tell in a double blind test listening to an unfamiliar system. But at home, I can hear it no problem.
Almost certainly evidence that you do have an RF problem.

"Better sound" means different things to different people, which is why we ask. For some it means 'sound which is more to my taste' - which itself will vary from person to person, as some want 'slam' and some want 'prat' and some just want lots of bass. For others it means 'sounds more like the original thing'.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hi George, I am fiddling with a Chinese PCM1794 board at the moment. Reason is I want to hang some good DAC's behind a MiniDSP Nanoshark to see if that can be better than the analog active xovers I cobbled together.

I am watching your work on DACs with fear. Fear for my Wallet :) I have miniDSP 4x10HD and, although the DACs are adequate (and certainly better than some of my sources) I know better can be done and there are I2S headers on the board...

Bill, for about 100 Euro's you can buy 3 ES9018 boards, plus a handful of LM4562's and electrolytics, which, after being shoved together in the recommended fashion, will give you around -110 dB distortion. This will require a bit of juggling with your soldering iron. There also is a cheap PCM1794 board that will approach this performance with just replacing some opamps, but it will do so in mono mode only, so you will need double the number of those and so that will cost you about 140 Euro's, all in. I broke a ES9038 that could be brought up to -113dB distortion, have order a new, different board to see how far I can get. Three of those, plus some opamps that will do it, will be around 200 Euro's.

Btw, it is just a bit of Western folklore that kids need food every single day.

Last edited:
Hi miklos,
Yes, I vaguely remember that. I thought it should be brought up again for those members who weren't around yet back then.

O.T. question for you. Will you be attending the DIYAudio/CAM meet on the 14th this month? There is a thread on it and it's being held on the north east side of Toronto. I didn't know if you were aware of this. It's on a Saturday.

-Chris

Hi Chris,
Yes, but I don't have an address yet.
Miklos

What a bunch of 'cheap' guys! 100 euros or two is not worth my time! '-) I am told that my ESS 9038 evaluation board costs a lot more than that, but on the other hand, I was also told by Kozned that all D-A's like the 9038 are junk and I also should go back to successive-approximation converters for best sound quality. By the way, WHY they sound better can't be easily measured, but I believe him because he listens as well as measures.

One should believe people when they say something sounds better, not to believe them is equally meaningless

Or realize that's simply not a transferable assessment, and you're no better off than when you started. If a lot of folks say the same thing, and come at the assessment from orthogonal mindsets, then we've a good basis for a hypothesis.

At the same time, I'm not going to disagree with someone who likes x over y, but when they try to generalize or give some justification or mechanism, it better come with some weight behind it.

What a bunch of 'cheap' guys! 100 euros or two is not worth my time! '-) I am told that my ESS 9038 evaluation board costs a lot more than that, but on the other hand, I was also told by Kozned that all D-A's like the 9038 are junk and I also should go back to successive-approximation converters for best sound quality. By the way, WHY they sound better can't be easily measured, but I believe him because he listens as well as measures.

Yes, of course it's best to listen to clueless people without any evidence or listening yourself.

SAR is an ADC technique. You may have a hard time finding one to replace an ES9038.

Good luck deglitching some of the expensive industrial DACs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.