John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I am after is the pursuit of best quality digital, and I have to keep an open mind, even if it is inconvenient to me to me not to stick to an ESS D-A at the moment. I had been hoping that I could just improve the I-V and maybe the analog power supply to get much better performance, but I might be headed into a 'dead-end'. We shall see.

Last edited:
And needs to be evaluated on a per-chip (and the supporting circuit) basis.

Frex on this site made a rather tidy SAR ADC board which I believe he aggressively bins to get a rather high "true" bit rate at audio frequencies. Been a while so I may be paraphrasing his work incorrectly.

I wish that I knew, Richard. Kozned insists that he did extensive evaluation of both and found big sonic differences. He recommended the SHIITE D-A for comparison with ESS.

Schiit uses AD5791 and their secret sauce is the deglitching scheme. It is not better than the ESS, not even close. It's a neat exercise, but utterly pointless.

Measurements and Review of Schiit Yggdrasil DAC | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

It's not good. If you want to get on the sigma-delta hate train because all the cool kids are doing it then go find some discontinued AD1862 or PCM1704. If you just want to try something other than the ESS then try AK4497.

Last edited:
And needs to be evaluated on a per-chip (and the supporting circuit) basis.

Frex on this site made a rather tidy SAR ADC board which I believe he aggressively bins to get a rather high "true" bit rate at audio frequencies. Been a while so I may be paraphrasing his work incorrectly.

Yep, there are some great SAR parts like the LTC2380-24 that Frex is using.

My favorite sounding DACs, CD players, and transports were all from Micromega. Even the current ones are impressive. I'm an analogue guy, but if I have to listen to digital, it's going to be via Micromega.

http://www.hifizine.com/files/2013/11/MyDAC-PCB918.jpg

Pretty much an anti-JC design -

Class II double-insulated construction with plastic enclosure. Powered by SMPS, low-cost CS4351 DAC, cheap Taitien HC49 crystals (for the jitter fetishists), op-amp based analog circuitry.

Cheap and cheerful ;). I like it.

http://www.hifizine.com/files/2013/11/MyDAC-PCB918.jpg

Pretty much an anti-JC design -

Class II double-insulated construction with plastic enclosure. Powered by SMPS, low-cost CS4351 DAC, cheap Taitien HC49 crystals (for the jitter fetishists), op-amp based analog circuitry.

Cheap and cheerful ;). I like it.

Out of the hundred DACs they've made since the 80s, you picked the cheapest $150 example. But that's okay, I've heard it and it sounds pretty good.

Out of the hundred DACs they've made since the 80s, you picked the cheapest $150 example. But that's okay, I've heard it and it sounds pretty good.

Oh, yeah, my bad for picking the ONLY DAC on the DAC page of their website, what was I thinking. It's $369 also from what I can see in the US.

Sounds pretty good yet does everything wrong from the John Curl bible of audio design. Hmm...

Oh, yeah, my bad for picking the ONLY DAC on the DAC page of their website, what was I thinking. It's $369 also from what I can see in the US.

Sounds pretty good yet does everything wrong from the John Curl bible of audio design. Hmm...

It's part of their lifestyle MyRange. However, they have CD players in the several thousand dollar range. But you're doing what you've been doing, so please carry on by all means. But it does sound good ��

Hi ridikas,
He did pick the only DAC in that section. You can't fault Chris for telling the truth.

I was never impressed by Micromega equipment. There is so much better stuff available on the market for you to support.

-Chris

Honestly, I can't think of anything better on the market right now than the vintage top loading Micromega CD players with CDM0, or CDM1 transports. And their DACs from the 90s were fantastic as well. But I'm no digital fan, if anything, I think digital today sounds worse than 20-30 years ago.

When I listen to Michell Gyro SE or SME Model 10, the world is right.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well, the Nakamichi OMS-5 / 7 was very good, and the Denon DCD-S10 (DCD-3000) was also more than excellent. Teac had some very nice products and the new Bryston I just heard is easily superior as well. Any of the Denon DCD-x560 players also made the grade, and once I've "played" inside they are even better.

There was a lot more out there that was better too. Take your pick. Notice that these are all "mid-fi machines", but don't let that fool you!

-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.