John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I must admit I didn't know how the DR number was calculated. Jakob had mentioned some form of pyschoacoustic weighting but suspect it's not too complex. It's not ideal, but at least everyone has access to the same code so it can be compared.

Personally I look at rms to peak to get a first order approximation. crude I know.

Anatech, let's discuss this head resonance business:
The usual reason to 'resonate' the tape reproduce head is to compensate for 'scanning losses' due to the reproduce head gap width vs the wavelength recorded on the tape. However, if you stick to 15-30ips mastering, there is relatively little 'scanning loss' so you don't need to resonate the head to get that extra db or two. In fact, resonating the head in the audio region would upset the reproduce frequency response with 30ips operation, for sure, and that's what I am referring to, as I designed 30ips mastering recorders. Now for a cassette recorder, resonating the reproduce head may well be a necessity.

That's it and nothing else. But almost no one would be willing to admit this.

Euphonic effects of SOME vinyl playback systems is almost certainly the explanation for SOME listeners' preference for vinyl. It fails to explain why some listeners enjoy the sound from their Dynavector 17D (I, II & III) cartridges. This range of cartridge is far removed from euphonic. Many listeners describe the sound as 'brutal'. I describe it as accurate.

Just for yuks, I burned a pristine copy of an LP I had to CD and gave it to a mate to play on his system. We compared it to the original CD copy. It wasn't 'till the surface noise became apparent that he heard any difference.

It fails to explain why some listeners enjoy the sound from their Dynavector 17D (I, II & III) cartridges.

The cartridge is FAR from the only player in this. Various FM artifacts are essentially impossible to totally eliminate from vinyl playback none of which are caused by the cartridge alone.

I had a similar experience with a tape hiss limited old blues LP, religiously removing every tick and pop from the LP recording there remained no way to tell the difference. This was a fairly ordinary but decent setup.

The cartridge is FAR from the only player in this.

Agreed. It is, however, one of the best.

Various FM artifacts are essentially impossible to totally eliminate from vinyl playback none of which are caused by the cartridge alone.

I agree that vinyl has a whole host of problems that I and many others hoped that 16/44 digital would solve. It did, but it still failed to deliver SOME of the aspect that a high end vinyl system was able to.

I had a similar experience with a tape hiss limited old blues LP, religiously removing every tick and pop from the LP recording there remained no way to tell the difference. This was a fairly ordinary but decent setup.

Yep. Doesn't surprise me. It's been awhile since I listened critically to a good tape setup, but last time I did, the results were very impressive indeed. I do recall my Nakamichi 1000ZXL fondly (when I wasn't fixing the damned thing). It could manage a pretty credible job of recording a CD.

Curious since most contect today (like 99.999%) originates as digital. I would have thought that a digital copy using any of the myriad possible ways to copy would sound like the original.

Vinyl rarely sound much like to original analog tape under ideal conditions (lacquer playback right after cutting) and processing into a slab of vinyl does nothing good for it. Mastering sessions with experienced mastering engineers working with superb tapes still get a lot of tweaking before reaching the cutter head. The limitations of the two mediums are quite different.

One serious challenge to centering the disk is that the cut is a spiral with a different pitch every 1/4 turn. (And usually there is a digital delay line to the cutter head to enable this).

people like the euphonics of both LP's and tape. digital is essentially free of those colorations and its not a comfortable experience. The same holds for a movie shot in 35 MM vs 2K video. The video is clearly sharper and free of registration errors (film moving randomly in the gate) but lacking the randomness of the film grain makes it less comfortable to watch for most dramatic content. There is an "app" for that. . . .

I'll take the other guys word for it, that actually did it with a group of people.

Could we have an interesting discussion about chisels for engraving hieroglyphs?
I always thought it was more beautiful and more faithful to the thought than writing on paper.

Now as hieroglyphs were sometimes written left to right and other times right to left, I can see there being preference to different chisels just for that issue. Next would come into play right or left handed user. Of course there might just be even more variation based on the height of the user. Now we could get into the material the chisel was made of. Forging technique and even sharpening technique and angle of the edge.

My preference would be for Damascus steel at a 15 degree angle weighing about 5 pounds. Of course with the slightly rounded to avoid cracking of chipping. Now for detail work I might not want the edge perpendicular to the shaft body. A 5 degree relief angle might just be called for. Heavier and I suspect I would tire too fast.

Naturally anyone with a different idea must be inexperienced in the finer points as you seem to well know.

(I gave my text on reading h'glyphs to Mark Gander as I though he would enjoy it.)

In real measurement, the Dynavector is an excellent MC cartridge. However, read between the lines everyone, in this review. Note terms such as brightness, hardness, harshness, thinness, etc in the listening evaluation. This was my overall impression of this cartridge when I once listened to it. However, it is an ACCURATE cartridge, with accurate frequency response, 40KHz resonance, 9us rise-time, etc.
My preference is for a more 'romantic' sounding cartridge, but I suspect the frequency response would be essentially the same from my Lyra cartridge. Anyone out there have some independent measurements of Lyra cartridges?

Attachments

• cart1.jpg
    cart1.jpg
    752.2 KB · Views: 220
  • cart2.jpg
    cart2.jpg
    763.6 KB · Views: 218
  • cart3a.jpg
    cart3a.jpg
    622.3 KB · Views: 216
  • cart4.jpg
    cart4.jpg
    671.7 KB · Views: 214
Naturally anyone with a different idea must be inexperienced in the finer points as you seem to well know.
What is your opinion about these rumors that say that hieroglyphs engraved from right to left by full moon nights carry special powers due to the vibration of neutrons exposed to the cold light at the moment of the sculpture under the moon's attraction ?

I myself experienced strange phenomena with such stones in the presence of several witnesses.

Attachments

• etrang.jpg
    etrang.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 206
In real measurement, the Dynavector is an excellent MC cartridge. However, read between the lines everyone, in this review. Note terms such as brightness, hardness, harshness, thinness, etc in the listening evaluation. This was my overall impression of this cartridge when I once listened to it. However, it is an ACCURATE cartridge, with accurate frequency response, 40KHz resonance, 9us rise-time, etc.
My preference is for a more 'romantic' sounding cartridge, but I suspect the frequency response would be essentially the same from my Lyra cartridge. Anyone out there have some independent measurements of Lyra cartridges?

Thanks for the review John. I have one somewhere, but finding it would be a major effort. I accept that many listeners do not like a cartridge that is ruthlessly revealing of a recording. The Dynavector does this. In spades. Like all things, however, GIGO applies. Put a first rate recording under the 17D (assuming you are using a suitable arm, of course, like the DV507) and the result is stunning in it's realism.

What is your opinion about these rumors that say that hieroglyphs engraved from right to left by full moon nights carry special powers due to the vibration of neutrons exposed to the cold light at the moment of the sculpture under the moon's attraction ?

I myself experienced strange phenomena with such stones in the presence of several witnesses.

Khonsu is with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.