John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

Safe mantra for anything on the internet.

Not much of the juicy stuff in my field has made it into books. Or is "ancient" fundamentals. Both of which I tend to find more quickly on the net than anywhere else.

Journals are different than community threads. Then again depends on the community as to how accurate the thread is.

For audio !!!

I may be a bit old fashioned, but I am deadly serious about books, technical journals, and data sheets. I live amongst them continually. I also have wall to ceiling bookshelves in several rooms with physics on one side and electronics engineering on the other. I love serious textbooks, sometimes even books that I can just barely read, ( just to show me my place in the education system) and keep me on my toes.
Of course, the internet is starting to replace the need for many of the books that I keep on my shelf, but certainly not the majority of them.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I may be a bit old fashioned, but I am deadly serious about books, technical journals, and data sheets. I live amongst them continually. I also have wall to ceiling bookshelves in several rooms with physics on one side and electronics engineering on the other. I love serious textbooks, sometimes even books that I can just barely read, ( just to show me my place in the education system) and keep me on my toes.
Of course, the internet is starting to replace the need for many of the books that I keep on my shelf, but certainly not the majority of them.

+1. I started to buy used/2nd hand engineering books from last century even though I have them as PDFs on my system. Nothing beats the feel (and with old books, the smell) of a bunch of printed sheets.
I am a book fetish. Among others ;)

Jan

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
"If you don't use it you lose it"

When I was in college... I learned all about tubes and TV and test equipment were tube based..... trouble-shot and fixed a lot of tube test equipment and audio- video. First audio was all tubes, scratch built. Then I had to learn transistors and go thru all that learning. Then it was DTL and TTL and then more integrated IC's and then cmos and RF and on and on it goes. I have forgotten more than I can actively remember.

So when some one over here says to go learn this or that ... EE101 or something like that, I am not inclined to spend a lot of time unless it is something I really need to know for a project or test because I know it will be quickly forgotten to be replaced by another technology very soon. I prefer to rely on the library or ask someone who is currently in that field.

Time gets shorter by the day.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
When I was in college... I learned all about tubes and TV and test equipment were tube based..... trouble-shot and fixed a lot of tube test equipment and audio- video. First audio was all tubes, scratch built. Then I had to learn transistors and go thru all that learning. Then it was DTL and TTL and then more integrated IC's and then cmos and RF and on and on it goes. I have forgotten more than I can actively remember.

So when some one over here says to go learn this or that ... EE101 or something like that, I am not inclined to spend a lot of time unless it is something I really need to know for a project or test because I know it will be quickly forgotten to be replaced by another technology very soon. I prefer to rely on the library or ask someone who is currently in that field.

Time gets shorter by the day.

THx-RNMarsh

Knowledge optimization :D

Status
Not open for further replies.