John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Waly’s writing is correct. So is Wavebour’s suggested practice. But you unnecessarily increase iron size this way.
For a given core volume, increasing the number of turns reduces the core flux without the penalty of more iron.
If all is arranged well (an art) the extra copper will reduce the empty window space too (good for voltage regulation).
Magnetization current goes down with increasing primary turns.
You can add some turns (same direction of rotation with the existing winding) on a transformer you have. Measure the primary current before and after and watch on an oscilloscope the waveform of the secondary winding.

George

Doubt it as they are 100' apart. Should be interesting when they get to the bench. Sweeping in the field, each sweeps alone, but in parallel just above 3K amp-speaker combination chirps and above that no output. When driven by system amplifier the feed line is a few ohms. The result is no output above 3ish.

Don't have AC power at the best test location. So my guy did the frequency impedance sweep at the amplifier end.

I used a battery powered amplifier based on auto sound chip that can drive 18 watts into 4 ohms. Test signal fed from my cell phone.

Soldered some resistor or pptc in parallel with tweeter instead of in series? :D

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I would imagine many of us have a technical library. I built a book case from floor to ceiling and wall to wall for reference books. I always liked the idea of not have to remember everything and go to the library for specific info in question;

Practical Transformer Design Handbook by Eric Lowdon. ISBN 0-8306-3212-3

THx-RNMarsh

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I would imagine many of us have a technical library. I built a book case from floor to ceiling and wall to wall for reference books. I always liked the idea of not have to remember everything and go to the library for specific info in question;

Practical Transformer Design Handbook by Eric Lowdon. ISBN 0-8306-3212-3

THx-RNMarsh

Why have a library when you can ask everything here? ;)

Jan

A reliable way is to inspect transformer primary current without load. Here should not be any increasing in second halve of period.

Attachments

• noisy.jpg
    noisy.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 209
  • quiet.jpg
    quiet.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 213
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Well, we have the experts -- you know -- doctors, lawyers and Indian chiefs and Guru's. We can ask them.

And the old fashioned things... printed materials. Books. And professional vaults of info... IEEE and AES for example. But now we have a new expert called Mr Google... he is like the wizard of Oz.

With all these sources available today, you can learn anything and/or get an answer or means to figure it out for yourself. Add to that Test Equipment that does more for less than in the past...... Its a great time to be alive.

- Richard

Last edited:
You want to check them against your wall of references then? ;)

Jan

Things I have "learned" on the internet:

1+1=11

The AC impedance of a loudspeaker is half of the DC resistance.

Resistors don't distort.

Global feedback introduces a time delay equal to the actual propagation delay times the open loop gain divided by the closed loop gain.

The only non-ohmic characteristic must be exponential.

C is not equal to q/V.

Those are just the bits that quickly come to mind.

Remember "You can't put it on the internet if it is not true" goes well with "I always lie."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.