John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
This is also claimed by the Kii - directional down to relatively low frequency (80Hz IIRC). It does mean it generally sounds 'different' when transplanted in the typical living room than whatever was there first. It will take some getting used to to appreciate the increased fidelity.

Jan

as it does after a far field listening room gets treated with sound absorbing panels to reduce/absorb reflections/coloration.

-RM

Last edited:
This would be the place to read Bob Katz current writings and gather more info about his current setup:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/category/katzs-corner

IIRC he has Dynaudio mains, bi-amped or multi-amped with hypex power amps and he uses room correction (impulse response correction with FIR filters). Very interesting is the use of a "house curve" that is 7dB down at 20KHz, again IIRC. I for one like a treble rolloff as well. Much better than flatness is to have a curve that suits YOU, that allows you to listen confortably to a variety of material. I imagine a mastering engineer works "comparatively", he knows very well how his references sound in that system, so there is no issue with having a treble rolloff.

This would be the post where Bob Katz explains his current mastering setup and house curve:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/katzs-corner-episode-12-throwing-down-gauntlet
Like I said, 7dB or so down at 20KHz! Make sure to read the comments where he gives more info. Two small corrections to my previous post: he doesn´t mention bi-amping. Only a new hypex based power amp. And he no longer needs impulse correction with his new Dynaudio mains which have 1st order crossovers.
Very interesting to read about how a leading mastering engineer works.

I for one like a treble rolloff as well. Much better than flatness is to have a curve that suits YOU

I'm quite happy with both ends rolled off by my small speakers, but with an exemplary impulse response with what is left. Best $300 I ever spent. Right now I have about $700 total into my LP setup and am totally enjoying what I get.

Last edited:
Scott, I have both ends rolled off as well. Me and my neighbors are happy with small two ways and the absence of subwoofers. Someday when I move this will change though!
Money spent on my system is comparable to yours, and I only bought the Tannoy speakers, the rest is diy. They have 1st order crossovers and they do need EQ to sound good to me. My only source is computer and I use the EQ in jriver.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I feel same as B Katz regarding missing top or bottom freqs. We prefer headphones and speakers with extended bass over extended treble. Maybe there is less music way up high and a lot of distortion up there can occure. While there is a lot of music with bass to 40Hz.

........... if we are back to what we LIKE again.

THx-RNMarsh

The diy part is important. How much you can get for little investment is important. I could buy those JBL M2's and wouldn't even notice it. That's not my way.

DYI interests here are more for musical instrument purposes.

For a playback system I want something that is pretty knowable in advance as workable for mixing, something I seem to get roped into doing from time to time. Don't want to take chances on ending up with something that isn't going to cut it. However, only have $189 total into speakers and power amp. Speaker isolation pads, also known to work in advance, added another $200. The only thing I haven't found a way to acquire on the cheap is an acceptable DAC, unfortunately.

If someone can figure out a way to DIY a state of the art DAC, I would be interested, but don't have the time or the test equipment to undertake a project of that magnitude myself.

single bit delta-sigma may have a chance - switching speeds, jitter can be very low in today's hobbyist accessable tech - if FPGA are in your def of hobbyist - certainly a number of dev boards and toochains in the open source ecosystem

I recall seeing a paper near 2 decades ago that used O ~100 MHz PWM to make ~1 MHz 'multibit' sub DAC, then used delta-sigma processing to reach over 20 bit resolution

today all numbers could be moved up 10x

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
You have passed out your 'wisdom' but have exchanged terms willy nilly and seem to have ignored the design principles behind your own speakers.

TBH I would rather apply Linkwitz, Toole or Geddes which is what I shall do.

uh huh, Good for you, have at it, Good luck on your journey.

I Like the Geddes a lot also. Distortion isn't low enough. Linkwitz is overly complicated for the results. Hard to get right room placement. Distortion isn't low enough. All cone type speakers for home use leave me lacking in dynamic range... they seem compressed at moderate levels. .

The M2 excels in dynamic range --- it lacks to a considerable degree any sense of compression at any frequency or power level. Very low distortion at all freqs, high dynamic range. high power without compression, controlled dispersion, active dsp crossover, very high power amps and reasonably low distortion PA. Wide BW. two way. Whats there not to like? You could do worse and spend a lot more.

-Richard

Last edited:
I feel same as B Katz regarding missing top or bottom freqs. We prefer headphones and speakers with extended bass over extended treble. Maybe there is less music way up high and a lot of distortion up there can occure. While there is a lot of music with bass to 40Hz.

........... if we are back to what we LIKE again.

THx-RNMarsh

Rolled highs is to match suffering midrange. Your M2's have a bunch if tech that fight off problems that would occur in the mid to bass. In a lot of speakers they have to dampen them to death to stop the driver from going nutty, likely do to EMF, and ports & such. But the dampening can give a compressed sound and shrink scale. Not a lot of speakers seem to portray dynamics very well at all... it is kind weird. They might be able do massive cannons or something, but average dynamics read poorly. Again, LSO-6006 is a good test.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Why would anybody like to do that. Both.

Hmm still trying to start a fight. well, I know few are interested in accuracy to the source here... only I LIKE IT.

I like to see white when the signal is white while many like white with blue tint or warm with red tint etc etc etc. Same with their 'sound' colorations.

If you want to hear the source without room colorations, use near field monitoring. And other speaker characteristics which help to hear only the signal without excessive room influence.

THx-RNMarsh

Just how prominate is the double room affect for you Marsh? (You hear one room, where it was recorded, affected by the room you are in)

For me, while I hear plenty of information for enviroment, even when my not well treated room warps it some, its there but dominated by the music itself because it just isnt as loud.

Richard, just giving feedback.

What I understand from your posts is that you bought an expensive set of speakers and now try to convince everybody your choice was the right one, using minced concepts wrapped in garbled wording.

So yes, I don't advise anyone to figure out what you have said, nor to apply it.

The M2 is not a near field speaker. https://www.google.nl/search?q=near...vvrUAhWPYlAKHeo-CUIQ_AUIBigB&biw=2197&bih=889

Last edited:
Richard made a great choice of loudspeaker. Unfortunately, they do cost real money, not a few hundred dollars that some here think work just as well. Richard can afford it, even if most of you can't, but that does not mean that the speakers he selected don't outperform what most of you would settle for.
The 'rationalizations' on this thread are usually made by someone who has either lack of sufficient income or the inclination to pay to get better performance, so many here say that extra investment in audio products or design is not necessary or even pointless. Richard and I know better than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.