John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want a 'simple' home product, but also I need something anyone can use without an Apollo checklist* but gives me the power to twiddle. I want something that doesn't exist basically. Or maybe it does and just costs an offensive amount due to limited nutters.

Then again can anyone other than Dick Burwen work out how to use his big rig?

*Good reason for this, which will be explained at some point.

On/off switch and volume control for me.

Here's my simple phono diff-in, diff-out, all FET no feedback, stage one passed - no oscillation. Need to solder in the 1% PP caps and try it. I figure this is as far away from op-amps as I could get. No need for comments this a curiosity project (I suspect I won't hear a difference).

Attachments

• phono.jpg
    phono.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 253
Nothing wrong if you like it to sound like you have sheets over your speakers.

I have no response, but I find this an interesting statement to think about. If it sounds like you have sheets over your speakers, then you would be looking at your speakers expecting to see a sheet over them. That is actually a remarkable illusion, is it not? Quite unlike hearing "soft" sound, which sounds like what it sounds like but checking to see if there are sheets over your speaker does not even come to mind. I've only ever heard the latter, maybe the former once or twice.

Here's my simple phono diff-in, diff-out, all FET no feedback, stage one passed

May I add 2c? You put RIAA network R20,C2,C6,C4 between two differential nodes, each has huge impedance to ground. I played with such circuit in the past (with two AD844) and noticed that the common mode noise is high. You may use amplifier with good CMRR to suppress it, or you may consider to split your RIAA network in halves and reference common node to GND

Last edited:
He's only an hour north in Portland ME (actually a wonderful place these days) time for a professional courtesy visit.
Hmm. Next time I go to Booth Bay, may have to visit, or at least roll the window down and yell hello.

EDIT: the SPL user manual contains a section on calibrating the VU meters for room temperature. That's a new one on me!
Guess he relies on oil damping for the correct ballistics.

John

Some good points there. Made me wonder how many of the people who invest in high quality phonograph components also invest in high quality DACs so they have some more or less on par means of comparison. We have seen a little evidence lately in a separate thread that DACs and headphone amps built into computers may be advertised as Hi-Def, yet in some cases perhaps only marginally suited to CD quality once the numbers are carefully examined.

Exactly so, either by design, or by luck, as was my case.The reason why I insist on keeping the auncient Dual CS 604 (1977), when it was a reasonable mid-priced mass market model, but for reasons unknown, iit was a veritable hit in Germany. It cost about 60% of the price of the top CS 721 model, but it played music on practically the same level. There was actually a que for it, I had to wait two months before mine was shipped to me, and unheard of event in Germany. But what it will get out of a ultra low mass Ortofon cartridge has to be believed to be heard.

Aboslutely no reason to change it. In comparison, ever CD setup I had simply couldn't deliver the air, spatiousness and detail in comparison with an Ortofon LM 20 cartridge. Then, I stubled on a recommendation from a trusted friend and bought a NAD C 565BEE CD player and it simply bowled me over. From NAD? Kid me not! For a price lust less than € 500 (then app. USD 550)? But it was so, and I litarlly went about rediscovering my own CD collection. With more pleasure than ever before, including borrowed very high end machines from the likes of Wadia, etc. It uses a Wolfson DAC, surrounded by a slew of OPA 124 Burr-Brown/Texas Instruments FET input opamps. While surely not one of the world's best, it is neverthess amazing. A pity they had it on the market for only about a year and a half.

Last edited:

Here's my simple phono diff-in, diff-out, all FET no feedback, stage one passed - no oscillation. Need to solder in the 1% PP caps and try it. I figure this is as far away from op-amps as I could get. No need for comments this a curiosity project (I suspect I won't hear a difference).

Suspect nothing, Scott, just take it as it comes and let it speak for itself.

I have no response, but I find this an interesting statement to think about. If it sounds like you have sheets over your speakers, then you would be looking at your speakers expecting to see a sheet over them. That is actually a remarkable illusion, is it not? Quite unlike hearing "soft" sound, which sounds like what it sounds like but checking to see if there are sheets over your speaker does not even come to mind. I've only ever heard the latter, maybe the former once or twice.
Interesting way to respond by beginning with the statement that you have none.

Ref the Stones albums, would seem to be quite an easy job to compare original with re-issue in the frequency domain if someone had examples of each they could rip. In terms of why there might be a difference I can think of a few.

1. degraded studio tapes or lost masters
2. Originals were cut to play on the bedroom dansettes of the time which skipped at the slightest bass and had cheap and nasty full range speakers with no real treble so the cut was 'tipped up'. A modern mastering to flat for modern systems would seem 'dull' compared to that.
3. The band wanted it that way

So I did a quick google and found Mad Mickey Fremer's review of it. The Rolling Stones in Mono Box Set Reviewed | Analog Planet there are some rips there of original vs reissue. Now according to this the original tapes were ripped to DSD before Bob L did the remastering.

I would say those old tapes got the best treatment that they could have. I certainly would not expect them to sound identical to the originals!
This is the one I was talking about https://www.discogs.com/The-Rolling-Stones-Hot-Rocks-1964-1971-/release/4607026

Joined 2014
Paid Member

Part of me misses those days. The other part is stepping into the bold future of a significant other who also wants to listen to music in the main room and my desire to experiment with 5.1 sound and active speakers. And I know that nearly everyone who has tried surround for music has given up and gone back to 2 channel, but my bluray plays SACD so I figured why not :)

May I add 2c? You put RIAA network R20,C2,C6,C4 between two differential nodes, each has huge impedance to ground. I played with such circuit in the past (with two AD844) and noticed that the common mode noise is high. You may use amplifier with good CMRR to suppress it, or you may consider to split your RIAA network in halves and reference common node to GND

No, J11 with the split RIAA cap is a tight loop controlling common-mode at AC as well as DC.

And what music is actually recorded in 5.1 format or greater that is anything but a movie sound track? I can still remember the original surround sound and that was also the problem only a limited amount of music was recorded in the format and it was pretty much terrible and was more of a gimmicky play thing than seriously recorded multi-track music that you wanted to listen to. So where is there any seriously recorded music that would fit the 5.1 or 7.1 format, is there really anything as strictly music?

I went back to the sim the common mode impedance (with respect to noise gain) is about 1.4K with that common mode loop over the audio range. That does not contribute significant noise and the PSRR is better than you might think.

Last edited:
Part of me misses those days. The other part is stepping into the bold future of a significant other who also wants to listen to music in the main room and my desire to experiment with 5.1 sound and active speakers. And I know that nearly everyone who has tried surround for music has given up and gone back to 2 channel, but my bluray plays SACD so I figured why not :)

Wonderful for movies, not so great for music.

Wish they would stop adding channels though. 5.1 was fine, until 7.1 and now Dolby Atmos with "height" channels...

Status
Not open for further replies.