John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm... I just got the training then had to practice on my own. It took some effort at first, and to be honest, I think I kind of liked having fun with adjectives before. However, it didn't take me long to figure out it was worth doing. All it took was going back and reading some of the stuff I had written a year earlier and thinking about how I would like somebody else writing that way to me.

But, if you are serious, and don't overwhelm me, I would give a try for awhile to see if I could be of assistance to you.
I am serious. In the next month I will be doing a big post in the "what's wrong with op amps" thread. It would just be interesting to see another take on what I say.

JC, Bernie Grundman, Kevin Gray, and me of course; are all in the analog camp. I can look up credentials of all of them. What are your credentials?

Unfortunately, this is probably not going to settle matters with Bill. Not because he can never be convinced, just that finding experts who agree with one's own position is a common practice among lawyers, and thus tends to be discounted by many people.

Personally, I think you are right about some things. And I bet you have some good stories to tell that would have some effect towards influencing others to more open minded. Especially the whole story of ADAT, the value of which looks a lot different now than people thought at the time.

JC, Bernie Grundman, Kevin Gray, and me of course; are all in the analog camp. I can look up credentials of all of them. What are your credentials?

I see any formal technical background is probably a negative credential. I could site 5 or 6 fellows of both the AES and IEEE who have collectively published 100's of highly referenced articles on acoustics, auditorium architecture, music and its reproduction that think these discussions are laughable.

I'll stick with Bob Ludwig myself. Oh please diss Bob, please.

The Dire Straits Brothers in Arms CD I mastered in 1985, one of the very first albums recorded on the Sony 24-track digital machine, was the first CD I mastered that was totally mastered for the CD medium. It was also longer than the vinyl version. That original version had to be mastered in the analog domain, in spite of how great Neil Dorfsman's mixes were. Please re-buy my latest all-digital remastering of it; it's how I always wanted it to be.

I'll stick with Bob Ludwig myself. Oh please diss Bob, please.

I'm not sure exactly what the reference is to Bob Ludwig, but here is an interview from a few years ago: https://www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,1621278,page=1
Somehow, I expect Scott was not referring to the reference to digital being less forgiving and brittle (for CD quality), as compared to tape.

In this copyright 2003 interview, he says A/D converters have gotten a lot better, so I'm not clear on who takes what position I guess: Interview with Bob Ludwig of Gateway Mastering

Last edited:
I'm not sure exactly what the reference is to Bob Ludwig

Did you miss the quote, the all digital remaster of "Brother in Arms" is how he wanted it to sound definitely not all analog? Bob's interviews are a wonderful collection of level headed open minded experiences with all kinds of equipment there is no hubris about analog vs digital. Playing selections of "Metal Machine Music" and Xenakis at a lecture to challenge conventional ideas of music was an eye opener. His masterings of Asian field recordings and avant-guard music for Nonsuch are among my most prized LP's.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member

Still not 'fact'. Just a pile of opinions. Personally, I would rather give weighting to something from Floyd Toole or Sean Olive than recording or mastering guys. Data is always useful. No data tends to suggest all fur coat and no knickers.

You have a personal preference and a product to sell. That's fine, but no way is that any conclusive proof that vinyl is better.

I OTOH have no vested financial interest in any medium, just a collection of music in various formats all of which I find enjoyable. And a vinyl front end that, whilst far from state of the art is not too shabby.

Did you miss the quote, the all digital remaster of "Brother in Arms" is how he wanted it to sound definitely not all analog?

Okay, I see. But, that is in reference to a very specific album, and I think understandable from the perspective of what some digital mastering tools can do that similar analog processing could not (effects box processing, as sometimes people may refer to it).

However, some other opinions expressed by Ludwig about analog and digital seem closer to morinix than you, at least as my approximate-recollection-at-the-moment of past comments seems to place them. Would you be willing to clarify areas where you might more strongly agree or disagree with Lugwig, without expressing it in a form that involves dissing?

Last edited:
Would you be willing to clarify areas where you might more strongly agree or disagree with Lugwig, without expressing it in a form that involves dissing?

I would defer to Bob on any issues concerning LP mastering, I wouldn't pretend to know his business. I read his Tape-Op interview I don't see him making up nonsense about how devices work, if he did I would call him out.

Let's stick to one point, an important recording by a group known for exceptional sound was preferred "all digital" by one of the best if not the best mastering engineers working today. I want to hear Robert's comment.

EDIT - "I don't see him making up nonsense about how devices work", like this...

Depending on a number of factors, this can cause charges to build up in the cable which wreak havoc with the high-speed electronics in the LCRMk3.

Last edited:
EDIT - "I don't see him making up nonsense about how devices work", like this...

Unfortunately, human brains automatically produce explanations of cause and effect, and by default they are usually believed.

For experts in a particular field (at least for fields where learning from experience is possible, that is to say, predictions of the future can be compared to outcomes in order to learn) such explanations are much more likely to turn out to be right.

But again unfortunately, even for experts in some field, outside of their area of expertise, they are not on average more accurate at producing accurate causal explanations than other people are. For one small example, we may all tend to attribute bad driving in others to bad personal character, and take that as the cause of the observed bad driving.

And even for experts in some fields in which there is no effective way to learn from experience, explanations of cause and effect may suffer, sometimes actually proving less accurate than than explanations coming from someone from outside the field. There is some research by Phil Tetlock indicating that political forecasting is one area where expertise can sometimes hurt more than help.

Also of possible interest, there are reasons to suspect we will be seeing some similar research results starting to come in for the field of economics over the next year or two.

Bottom line, I suppose, is that if one is not an expert in some field, it may be wise not to place too much weight in causal explanations that may come to mind. Especially, when experienced learning is lacking and the field in question is complex.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Mark: Proper economists and economic commentators are different beasts. Sadly the latter sometimes get to steer policy. Also sadly sometimes people take a valid economic idea, strip off the caveats and run with it. Same happens in any science as the great unwashed don't understand the limitations of a theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.