John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, you are right, Jan. It's just that analog playback SOUNDS BETTER! In spite of its relatively minor problems, like scrape flutter. Head gap resonance, you mean resonating the reproduce head? We tend to avoid that with the best recording-reproduce electronics, but even if it is used, it is deliberately damped to just fill in gap loss, and then falls off at 12db/oct, rather softly compared to digital.
It all depends on whether you worry most about STATIC MEASUREMENTS or SOUND QUALITY. Sometimes you have to make a choice.

Last edited:
I need a turntable to play my records, at least until I get around to ripping them. I'm old fashioned and I still like owning hard copies of music I buy (yeah, I buy music!) so I buy CDs but I mostly only play them in the car, I rip them to my hard drive and listen to them via my squeezebox (because I don't like having a computer in my living room). Burning CDs just doesn't make sense to me.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes, you are right, Jan. It's just that analog playback SOUNDS BETTER!

I think it would be fair to say it sounds better to you (and many others). What I hate is that people try to force their own preferences on the rest of us as if it is a universal truth.

I enjoy my records, I invested in a second arm on the Kuzma and a 2nd cart. And it all sounds very enjoyable. But I would be a fool to start shouting that LPs are best - they don't, not in the sense that they give the most accurate and transparent rendition of what's in the groove. I've done measurements on many vinyl replay systems - you don't want to know!

So, on a Sunday morning, fresh coffee, I really like my vinyl. I prefer it for various reasons. But it is not, by a long shot, 'the best'.

Jan

PS I meant the head gap resonance that occurs when the signal wavelength on the tape becomes a sizeable fraction of the head gap. Maybe head resonance is not the right name, I'll look it up.

Edit: lots of info here:
http://www.jrfmagnetics.com/Nortronics_pro/nortronics_silver/pdfs/Nortronics_Silvr_pp1-9.pdf

For example, a LF contour effect impact on the LF response, see attached.

Attachments

• tape lf.png
    tape lf.png
    117.4 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Especially if they use audio only CD's which I hear are either being made by almost no one...

My understanding of audio only CDs has been that they are no different from data CDs in terms of how they can be used except they cost more because a fee is added to price that goes to the RIAA or somebody to compensate copyright holders of audio works for what amounts to mandatory copyright licensing. Of course, the fees can not be accurately disbursed, but apparently the major players in the record industry were in on some of the revenues so no complaints from them.

Last edited:
My understanding of audio only CDs has been that they are no different from data CDs in terms of how they can be used except they cost more because a fee is added to price that goes to the RIAA or somebody to compensate copyright holders of audio works for what amounts to mandatory copyright licensing. Of course, the fees can not be accurately disbursed, but apparently the major players in the record industry were in on some of the revenues so no complaints from them.

No, regular CDR's won't mount on a consumer CD recorder at all otherwise sort of silly, you buy more expensive blanks out of a sense of fairness? You might be thinking of pro CD recorders which will mount any recordable CD.

EDIT - The CD player will play any CD it won't record on a blank that is not an audio CD, by audio I don't mean audio only just that the fee has been added.

Last edited:
To try to be fully honest, I must add that taping on my Sony cassette deck, you know, the one with multiple motors for the vibraton, three heads for authenticity, dual quartz locked capstans to appear serious, and various built in systems, like Dolby B, C and S, plus B&O's HX pro for presumably more dynamic sound, does no doubt unintentionally provide a whiff of the "bad, old days". :D :D :D

This is further advanced towards the quaint by my 1977 model 604 Dual direct drive turntable, beefed up by the latest Ortofom 2M Blue cartridge un-RIAAd by Luxman's C-03 preamp. These old time punks still somehow manage to wreak a smile from me on some LPs NOT transferred to digital (to the best of my knowledge, and believe me, I looked), so I get to listen to Harry Belfonte sinf negro spititual music in a true ANALOG church acoustic environment, accompanied by a stunning group of male and female voices.

Or the ex Red Army choir, now Alexandrov, the unbelievable Russian choir second to none, who will most unfortunately never sing again after the fatal air crash a few days ago. These were the only people I know of who could take on the Mormon Tabernacle choir. But at these levels, we're talking genius in both cases. And, believe it or not, every time I put on Harry Belafonte, I somehow think of JC, saying "but, it sounds better". Despite the cracles and pops, I discovered that LP in a second hand shop in Ankara, Turkey, way back in 1965.

Last edited:
I once was trained in how to write write things in an objective format. The main rule was to leave out all adjectives, because they indicate the writer's opinions, not the facts. Texts written without adjectives come off as statements of facts, and allow the reader to form their own opinions. And factual presentations are much more convincing to readers than highly opinionated ones. Leaving out metaphors probably helps too.

Don't mean to be offensive here. Just trying to be helpful, just as the training I mentioned was intended to be helpful to me.
I will PM every post to you and you can have 24 hours to edit it. Deal?

I will PM every post to you and you can have 24 hours to edit it. Deal?

Hmmm... I just got the training then had to practice on my own. It took some effort at first, and to be honest, I think I kind of liked having fun with adjectives before. However, it didn't take me long to figure out it was worth doing. All it took was going back and reading some of the stuff I had written a year earlier and thinking about how I would like somebody else writing that way to me, or how it might be interpreted by some third party.

But, if you are serious, and don't overwhelm me, I would give a try for awhile to see if I could be of assistance to you.

Last edited:
This thread is a obvious example of idiotic human nature, most of you should be ashamed of your self. Ego fighting, making fun of each other. This is all BULLS..T !

Things like measurements, science and price can NOT be blindly used for a reference for something that it is meant to reproduce music (emotions).

Or you have something else to add??
Open the "John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III" and start over: feedback,opamps,analog/digital...
Human race is sick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.