John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
If all recording masters are uncompressed, we can add, in the home, what ever we like to have after receiving (downloaded masters?) the uncompressed files/recording. use the file for music in your car and compress and eq it for that environment. use same uncompressed source for home.... music or surround sound etc. Compress it to what ever level you like for your tastes or environment. Or dont compress it at all.

THx-RNMarsh

That’s correct Dimitri but AD625 inputs are already 1GΩ/4pF. How high does the input impedance goes with the FETs?
Now I’m thinking that Scott might have meant to squeeze out some more HF bandwidth needed for medium-short range SONARS by having part of the 40dB gain outside of the IC.

George
Input current and its noise. They asked for an easy to make FET input IA because it was 3dB better than using two op-amps. The applications are on 743/45 datasheets. Fortunately hydrophones are 1000's of pF's so input C does not matter.

EDIT - Some light reading on this topology, not to take anything from Mr. Cohen but as Walt discovered this was around before 1968. (It's current feedback even!)
http://www.leonaudio.com.au/cohen.htm

Last edited:
Interesting, since I listen to it in clubs and my living room routinely.

I make an exception for your kind of music.

Music in clubs can't have a wide dynamic range unless people are dead quiet. Symphonic music needs a hall to sequester it from outside noise + a disciplined audience, otherwise parts get lost.

For me, in real environments, there are people, noise intrusions and all sorts of other issues that create both a noise floor and a noise ceiling.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Compressors and limiters are heavily used in live sound, the amplified kind. Dynamics can still be decent. The type of bands that SY goes to hear tend to play small venues and don't overdo the P.A. It's loud, but not processed to death the way a lot of big venue sound is. More Wild and Woolly. And he also has live concerts in his house.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Generally my first listen to a new album is on headphones at work (can never wait). Whilst not critical listening, It's easy to spot the recordings that have been squashed flat and I often take a peek at the foobar VU meter to see how compressed a recording is. I've noticed in the last 12 months even folk music is getting the super squash treatment. Even a recent Linn recording!

Still good music is good music and I wont write something off just because I would prefer it more dynamic :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yep, I've come across a few new artist who's music I truly like, some of it folk. But the recordings are so compressed and screechy I can't listen to them. Ouch!

Looking at the waveform in an editor will quickly give you an idea of dynamics. Some of those waveforms look like a solid block. :(

Looking at the waveform in an editor will quickly give you an idea of dynamics. Some of those waveforms look like a solid block. :(

Look at it this way. Compressed is nothing other than concentrated.

The ability of your auditory system to distinguish in this 'solid block of waveforms' violins and angelic voices, as well as gut wrenching bass and screeching distorted guitar, all at the same time, is astounding.

Compression is just added complexity, of getting more in the same space, it challenges the human mind. That makes it part of the development of the art. The idea that the perfect reproduction of sounds as they occur in nature is the hallmark of good music is as outdated as the ways to Rome.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Very astute, Mr. Vacu. :)

As we become more and more sophisticated, we can process so much more information at ever increasing speeds. More sound stuffed into the same space is just more value for money, really. More stimulation. Modern movies are like this too, bursting with plots and sub-plots, 100s of locations ans sets, not to mention the expensive special effects. Again, more bang for the buck! Concerts are bigger and louder than ever. Lasers everywhere, big screen video, 1000s of lights.

Somehow I do find it odd that so much of this frenzy of concentrated space/time goodness comes out of Los Angeles. A new city that is spread out, not urbanly dense and kind of laid back. Maybe it's the L.A. freeways that inspire modern production values?

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Here you go, Its all done and ready: https://media.uaudio.com/assetlibrary/l/a/la-2a_manual.pdf

its the earliest use of electrolumenescent panels I have seen by 20+ years. since they are pretty much instantaneous it may work quite well. You could also implemnent a digital version but with no tubes glowing or hard to source/fabricate parts it could not possibly be any good. . .

Got SS version? reasonably low distortion?

-RNM

Last edited:
Frequency range compression is 100% necessary for live performance with more than a guitar player singer song writer. And compression for dynamic range is almost as closely needed at times. But you have to understand a lot (probably most) of what a sound man does is to coup with a bunch of idiot musicians that don't know how to control themselves so there isn't much choice in how they do it; which leads to "un-ideal" settings (in our minds).

But of course there's countless bad sound guys...

You know it also doesn't help when sound guys have to deal with stuff like sweet spots and null spot & such that basically require more compression because otherwise you won't hear "quiet" parts of songs. Venues have become less ideal as they do weird stuff like 360* seating.

Status
Not open for further replies.