John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
It estimated that the minimum IQ to become a doctor or lawyer is probably around 120, which is also apparently high enough to become president of the United States. Once you get up above that, differences in IQ usually don't have much to do with what can be accomplished in life. Other factors then become more important, since IQ is high enough. In terms of mental factors, personality is a pretty significant one. The most well established system of assessing personality consists of the Big 5 set of traits: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Five_personality_traits

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
It is interesting to me that some here are/were Mensa members, many PhD's, grads of prestigious STEM institutions. Many here have IQ's well up in the range you would expect of Nobel prize winners in physics and the biological and medical sciences.

And yet here we are discussing audio for the most part. Fascinating.

I was raised to be prudent, and use ample safety margins. For all I know, I could lose my marbles on short notice.

(I make up with a loudmouth, five times the minimum required word count, cheesy jokes, OCD treats, exhibitionism, stability through excessive bodyweight, plus an opennesss for various sexual experiences and recreational drugs)

l138.gif

I don't do well on tests usually. Why? Because when I get to a question that is hard I'm thinking "This hurts my head to figure this out. Why am I doing this? To please some teacher? to see a nice grade? I don't care. F--- this." Now if it is something I care about, I get crazed and very tenacious and will just pursue it on my own. No need for tests to do that.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I understand that our IQ goes up with age and experience and time in grade etc. So, if you were 100 at age ten or something young.... by age 50 you would do better on the test. But is that really Intel increasing. ?? Or, is that knowledge that is increasing?

How to do a DBT on IQ so we know we can trust the results??

-RNM

Last edited:
Why am I doing this? To please some teacher? to see a nice grade? I don't care. F--- this..

Maybe that's one of the reasons that IQ tends to correlate better than anything else with the ability or likelihood for succeeding in school? In other words, not being motivated to work hard on the test may relate in some way to not being willing to work hard in school?

I personally think that most IQ testing is rather subjective and give very false measures of actual intelligence. I have taken tests on subjects where I really had very little knowledge or education and have scored very high on an exam. All that tells you is that I have a logical method to determine the best looking answer for the question, not that I actually know the material. I have always been good at test taking, it is just a question of how you have learned logical deduction and throwing out the answers that are obviously false or out of range.

As Morinix has just stated when there is a problem that I have to solve or am very interested in I can put in the effort to solve the problem or know where to go to find the answers. If something is not really of interest to someone they won't usually put in that type of effort, it is all relative and related to the individual and the requirements. I always hated rote memorization but did realize that others loved to do that and had extraordinary capabilities in that regard. At the same time those same people had difficulty at applying that memorized material to a real situation or actual problem where you needed to think about a problem and determine a solution. We all have our own personal exceptionalisms in the areas that we are most interested in.

There's a huge portion of knowledge wrt IQ tests*, so I'm sure one should (age-unadjusted) increase until early-mid 30's and then slowly decline from there. But you should be able to look around and figure out what the consensus is wrt age-adjusting IQ tests.

As far as IQ tests reliability: realize there's a huge variance in administered test (like the ones that take all day and you have to leave your pajamas at home to do)--something on the order of 10 points within their range of sensitivity, which is almost an entire standard deviation. And, IIRC, IQ test are generally only sensitive within roughly 2 standard deviations of the norm. Pretty noisy test that may have utility on the population level (where the big N can beat down the variance) but largely useless at the individual level.

Then you have to acknowledge that online IQ tests are worth the paper they're printed on.

Likewise, what do we actually *gain* from all this talk of IQ? Or really is it just as Jacco as clearly alluded? The group of writers on this entire BB, much more this thread, are pretty dang smart across the board, isn't that enough?

* And cultural, i.e. a test prepared for the North American population will show NA testees as "smarter" than the same test administered to a western European population.

Again, it depends on exactly what one wants to measure. IQ, as it is commonly measured mostly correlates pretty well with an ability to do well in school, and not much else. The correlation is a matter statistical mathematics, something pretty distant from subjective opinion. On the other hand, whether or not success in school might be considered important is something that could be viewed as more of a subjective opinion.

It is interesting to me that some here are/were Mensa members, many PhD's, grads of prestigious STEM institutions. Many here have IQ's well up in the range you would expect of Nobel prize winners in physics and the biological and medical sciences.

And yet here we are discussing audio for the most part. Fascinating.

I thought that once you got over a certain IQ you are statistically likely to not have much financial wealth. There's a "sweet spot" that is where people tend to be successful in.

Status
Not open for further replies.