John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real amplifiers don't need it !

Attachments

• bouchert.png
    bouchert.png
    66.7 KB · Views: 231
Bruce Hofer of Audio Precision has a new presentation on 'Designing for Ultra-Low THD in Analog Circuits' this really useful as well as telling many of you as Ed Simon and have: "I told you so!" Get it if you can. It is in pdf format, about 1.6 meg.

Bruce is my buddy, watch out. He doesn't do quantum purification. He is hard core engineering all the way the BS walks.

Triodethom said:
Interesting that the speaker cables are not viewed as an antenna connected to the amp's output.
It has been known for years that speaker cables can act as an antenna. Radio amateurs have been only too aware of this, as their neighbour complains that he hears a funny noise on his 'hi-fi' some evenings! May be less well known among audio folk, but then there is the danger of over-hyping things.

hitsware said:
Real amplifiers don't need it !
Maybe some misunderstanding here?

I don't know about "avoiding" bulk metal resistors - I believe the commentary is just that they aren't as much better on thermal modulation distortion at audio frequencies as simple comparison of DC Tempco might lead you think

still very good compared to many other types

Bruce's recommendation for ultimate low distortion numbers (way below any suspicion of audibility) are still expensive and uncommon 5 ppm thin film R to see better distortion numbers than the bulk foil at audio

(and some of us "conventional engineers" have seen the presentation in person at AP Audio Master Class seminars)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.