John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
It hasn't worked out that well for Marilyn vos Savant, as far as I can tell. IQ allegedly 228.

For a good time, A. E. Van Vogt, Asylum, a longish short story collected in Healy and McComas eds., Famous Science Fiction Stories, Adventures in Time and Space, Random House, Modern Library, 1957. It is also quite seasonal, as it is a vampire story.

The humans are morons, relatively speaking. The vampire Dreeghs are running around 400 or so. The Great Galactics are something else again.

Van Vogt also had a series of novels about the Weapon Shop, and a novel (fogmot the title, too lazy to go look it up) related to IQ, in which the IQ level determines the place of any race in the Universe, the top being the "Great Galactics". I liked his wprk, and still keep most of it.

For excellence, look up Alfred Bester. He created the comics hero Green Lantern, but was also an outstanding author of short stories and two excellent novels "The Demolished Man" and "Extro". Should be read in that sequence.

Apparently the optimum number for integration with what the majority considers to be success, is an IQ of 130.

Above that, ability to integrate with the masses and popular systems declines, and success (contextual) is far from guaranteed.

Humans, as a group, tend to mistake animal cunning and deviousness through low empathy as intellect (no emotions in the way, opportunistic, manipulative, etc), and award a-holes of the most intense variety the moniker of 'most successful'.

Last edited:
Absolutely brilliant, Ken.

This analysis, as an eventual chain of thought - comes to a conclusion.

It requires humans of good disposition and intellect to step up to the plate, and break -to the bone and beyond- all systems of animal cunning and low empathy that attempt to dominate humanity and the disposition and direction of humanity's thought form.

If not, everything skews, and dies. That much is evident.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Van Vogt also had a series of novels about the Weapon Shop, and a novel (fogmot the title, too lazy to go look it up) related to IQ, in which the IQ level determines the place of any race in the Universe, the top being the "Great Galactics". I liked his wprk, and still keep most of it.

For excellence, look up Alfred Bester. He created the comics hero Green Lantern, but was also an outstanding author of short stories and two excellent novels "The Demolished Man" and "Extro". Should be read in that sequence.
Bester is great.

Right on, brother Brad. With Kurt Vonnegut, probably one of the most daring minds of classic SciFi.

A fave, but he did not invent the green lantern he wrote stories for it in the golden age of DC. A name you might not recognize, Otto Binder, also wrote a lot of great comicbook Scify. Yes Joe I read comic books and I'm proud of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.