John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick note to Scott, who was asking for substantiation, etc.

There is no science of it Scott. Just us. Just Taras and I, and in the case of the electrical aspects of the cable, the RF aspects, the mass response aspects of it, and the rest, it is just me. That's it.

And it, by any measure from and by any intelligent person, it has only vestigial relationship to the characteristics observed with frozen lattice structures like copper, steel, lead, tin, nickel,and so on.

All the 100 year learned aspects of transmission line response, all the theory and the results just fall away, for the most part.

The cables straddle the response and interactive line between RF, gas (neon, etc) and wire analysis like a delta-mass associated See-saw.

A severe and inescapable conflation is the best you can hope for.

I guess Pro had that machine. I seem to recall overhearing the lively discussions about return on investment, time to market, yada yada.

Yes that one. Allowed them to design a horn, prototype it overnight, test it the next day, modify the file and in two or three passes get what they wanted. Resulted in a tremendous improvement in product quality. Solidly busy for the first 3-6 months they had it. When it broke it was cheaper to buy a newer one than to fix it.

Of course the bean counters hated it. Quality has no value if it doesn't affect warranty rates..

Probably resulted in doubling sales over the next two or three years..

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Yes that one. Allowed them to design a horn, prototype it overnight, test it the next day, modify the file and in two or three passes get what they wanted. Resulted in a tremendous improvement in product quality. Solidly busy for the first 3-6 months they had it. When it broke it was cheaper to buy a newer one than to fix it.

Of course the bean counters hated it. Quality has no value if it doesn't affect warranty rates..

Probably resulted in doubling sales over the next two or three years..

Nowadays the CAD software is so powerful --- but one has to know how to use it. I wish I could afford to splurge on some of the more powerful packages. Maybe someday, although I have the terrible feeling that I would sit around and not learn how to use it.

It's a bit like getting a very difficult book; you see it sitting on the shelf glaring at you, and feel a momentary twinge of guilt, but then relax and suppose that there is really no hurry. When I had most of my books up on shelves in a high bay, my secretary and IT expert Kathy noted that she rarely saw me reading.

I just got round to reading some very good material in Valley and Wallman, a book published in the year of my birth. I'd glanced through the book and determined that it pertained mostly to pulse circuits. But some very basic stuff was somewhere around page 400, and it was wonderful to see it and realize that it was accurate.

I just got round to reading some very good material in Valley and Wallman, a book published in the year of my birth. I'd glanced through the book and determined that it pertained mostly to pulse circuits. But some very basic stuff was somewhere around page 400, and it was wonderful to see it and realize that it was accurate.

The entire series is available online for download here:
https://www.jlab.org/ir/MITSeries.html

Just a quick note to Scott, who was asking for substantiation, etc.

There is no science of it Scott. Just us. Just Taras and I, and in the case of the electrical aspects of the cable, the RF aspects, the mass response aspects of it, and the rest, it is just me. That's it.

And it, by any measure from and by any intelligent person, it has only vestigial relationship to the characteristics observed with frozen lattice structures like copper, steel, lead, tin, nickel,and so on.

All the 100 year learned aspects of transmission line response, all the theory and the results just fall away, for the most part.

The cables straddle the response and interactive line between RF, gas (neon, etc) and wire analysis like a delta-mass associated See-saw.

A severe and inescapable conflation is the best you can hope for.

So you don't actually understand how these models work/overlap, ergo you throw the baby out with the bathwater?

And no true Scotsman (pun intended) would ever fall for that logical fallacy...

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Remember the game of life, in the beginning it almost seemed profound.
I think we lost a great mathematician to cellular automata. I speak of Stephen Wolfram. Not a trace of him is found in the wonderful book edited by Tim Gowers, The Princeton Companion to Mathematics, but you can read all about him in the deeply pretentious book by Howard Bloom, The God Problem.

I'll keep looking, BTW everything I saw looked bad not good for transmission of signals at high power.

That's kind of a good thing, liquid being tricky to deal with. Kw in and around a fluid, not my idea of a good time.

People asked me to make power cords out of it, I politely declined.

Three brownie points for the given alloy: Highest level of lubricity, highest level of creep, highest level of broadband reflectivity. Not quite the highest thermal capacities, but definitely warming up to it.

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
I.M. Pei.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesa_Laboratory

A very strange building indeed. Pei omitted some rather essential things which had to be added later. I visited a friend there years ago.

Some of the most amusing features were rooms that required ascent in a very tight spiral staircase, from which you would emerge into a windowed room that was otherwise sealed. Not for the claustrophobic.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
He does love to make up new words.
The universe is barely large enough to accommodate Howard Bloom's ego. The dustcover of The God Problem includes this, accompanied by a picture of the man apparently talking on a cellphone:

"Howard Bloom has been called 'the Darwin, Newton, Einstein, and Freud of the twenty-first century', and 'the next Stephen Hawking'."

There are pages of blurbs, and one searches them looking for any hard scientist. I think he managed to solicit one out of a Nobelist. But the balance are people with curious affiliations with obscure institutions.

Some of Bloom's statements reminded me of Randy California, of the rock group Spirit, who pontificated: "Everything is everything". Wow good acid man!

I was so frustrated by this book, which I purchased and which came highly recommended by a late friend, that I bothered to write an Amazon review. Most of the other reviews were laudatory. Not mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.