John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
That could well be. It might not have been warm warm here but it has been (imo) very dry for the last few months despite being told 'what a disappointing summer' it has been by the media. Mind you, anything north of Watford is considered the outback, news wise.

Andrew T - who lives just up the road as it were - is quite right! Even when applied to rugby!!!;)

BUT it has been dry: I won't go on about the dire state of Salmon fishing due to lack of rain - other than to say that this is traditionally the best week of the year on the Tweed, yet the daily catch has been less, on average, than a typical single day in half decent conditions. Down at the edge of town wealthy and experienced anglers are paying more than £1000 a day to catch nothing........needless to say many are American.; and their total cost is enormous)

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Richard,

You've budgeted correctly when the undertakers cheque is the the first one to bounce, hope it's not for a long while yet...........

If I miscalculate... I plan to err on the side of running out of money early and living on credit cards for the remainder. :) I'm budgeted thru 100.

Speaking of hot. Its damn hot here ..... no seasons. It is supposed to be the rainy season..... hardly seen any rain at all.... dry as a bone this year. I'll be glad to get back to cooler winter temperatures in northern California in about a week. Get back to some audio testing!

-RNM

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
I worked in Thailand for a while, think I remember a humid 43 C day, it was better up north in Chang Mai as I recall.....

I have an HP 339 to refurbish, did you change all 8 pin chips to LT 1468 compensated version and the output buffer to LME 49710? I have trouble finding 105 C bipolar electrolytics, any particular distributor and/or brand to look for ?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
BUT it has been dry: I won't go on about the dire state of Salmon fishing due to lack of rain -

My dad was (well he still is although at nearly 90 he can't do what he once did ) a very keen fly fisherman so I'm well versed in how the weather affects things. When I was younger we had many many fishing holidays up in the wilds of Scotland. I do remember a day on the Spey when I was a youngster :) The cost these days as you say is astronomical.

@Mooly

Just watch it regarding your North of Watford insinuation........!;)

:mischiev:

Bit to far north do you think ?

My dad was (well he still is although at nearly 90 he can't do what he once did ) a very keen fly fisherman so I'm well versed in how the weather affects things. When I was younger we had many many fishing holidays up in the wilds of Scotland. I do remember a day on the Spey when I was a youngster :) The cost these days as you say is astronomical.

Bit to far north do you think ?

Bit naughty for a :cop:!!;)

Don't worry: we have some too! [Even seen plenty in the Hebrides ;)]

Pleased that your Father is still with you...a good age. Although my fishing was mainly in Ireland when younger, I came to here to retire from London and have not been back there more than twice in 9 years! I have been to the highland snd Outer Isles every year since 1972!! and sometimes twice a year.:)

Last edited:
Mums the word Mooly.....[ wouldn't wish to cause a blush :eek: !!;)]

You can only buy cheap imports now....after one use best disposed of......if any wind about, leave it in your pocket/bag! [I do have a really nice Brigg full size though......belonged to my Father and dates from just before WWII, but has twice been recovered. They now cost over £300!!!]

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I worked in Thailand for a while, think I remember a humid 43 C day, it was better up north in Chang Mai as I recall.....

I have an HP 339 to refurbish, did you change all 8 pin chips to LT 1468 compensated version and the output buffer to LME 49710? I have trouble finding 105 C bipolar electrolytics, any particular distributor and/or brand to look for ?

I tried all types of opamps.... but only found a few places mattered or were better than the existing ones. There I used the 1468. No special cap brands.... any good brand at 105C. But be sure to replace any adj pot with multi-turn trims.
There were several attempts at a summary towards the end of the mods we tried.... see if you can find them...... THD+N of -100dB or a little better was easy. From there it got hard and IMO not worth the trouble involved. But a notch filter (input) and FFT (monitor output) will extend the usefulness of the instrument further...... as it does a 'sound card'.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
If that includes scalar wave and Schumann resonance generators, I disagree. The second law and Shannon are not sacred cows they're facts as in Mr Tyson's comment "The theory of evolution, like the theory of gravity, is a scientific fact."

Ah, I forgot about the 'second law' - yes, I know which 'law' you mean. :D

"The tree of life is being politely buried, we all know that. What is less accepted is that our whole fundamental view of biology needs to change." Michael R. Rose, Professor in the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at the University of California.

Agnostic Darwin never did explain Abiogenesis, so that one is still up in the air. Unlike gravity... hey, that was a joke! :p

So, there really are no holy cows in audio and probably none in science too. To suggest otherwise is quite dangerous, IMO. Everything is on the table, including parallel universes - and maybe life came from there and will answer what Darwin didn't even tackle, the actual point at which life began. I think maybe Tyson is too populist for my taste, but he caters for a slice of society that needs to be taken by the hand. As Richard Milton says, there really are two different kinds of evolution out there, the populist and the other one discussed behind the scenes by the players themselves.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Agnostic Darwin never did explain Abiogenesis, so that one is still up in the air

IMO, he didn’t have to explain it

According to Charles Darwin son Francis:

It will be some time before we see "slime, protoplasm, &c." generating a new animal. † But I have long regretted that I truckled to public opinion, and used the Pentateuchal term of creation, by which I really meant "appeared" by some wholly unknown process. It is mere rubbish, thinking at present of the origin of life; one might as well think of the origin of matter.

On the same subject my father wrote in 1871: "It is often said that all the conditions for the first production of a living organism are now present, which could ever have been present. But if (and oh! what a big if!) we could conceive in some warm little pond, with all sorts of ammonia and phosphoric salts, light, heat, electricity, &c., present, that a proteine compound was chemically formed ready to undergo still more complex changes, at the present day such matter would be instantly devoured or absorbed, which would not have been the case before living creatures were formed."
“THE LIFE AND LETTERS OF CHARLES DARWIN”, edited by his son Francis Darwin. Volume II, Page 202-203
https://archive.org/details/LifeAndLettersOfCharlesDarwinV.2

George

I thought we had covered this fallacy before. This endemic psychosis of factualizing.

There are no facts, only similarities that occur on a regular basis. Regularity in presentation of concepts and 'reflections' of the observation platform, a platform that presumably has some modicum of self organization that steps beyond instinctual projections.

We only have that one single fact, which is a paradox: there are no facts.

Stop projecting logic through the filter of emotional demands for self security. realize this coloration of logic and mental limits, that, as a pair, search for a safe projection so the body can relax it's fundamental fears. Down at the bottom, for all the attempts at strutting around in an ignorant otherwise (thus reflected by all, making for a norm), it's still the monkey and the control of the monkey by it's ***.

There is no second law, it's 'second theory'... and that theory is heinously flawed, based on postulates that violate all the past near 100 years of work in QED.

So screw second law, it's drivel... when things are taken beyond a few Newtonian lumps of matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.