John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
The attainable Ft is a relative gain. For example, if I push a 2SC3503 trannie at say 15 mA, moving that on up to 20, then 25 mA will bring little gain in Ft, as shown in its Data Sheet, its THD will not drop significantly, but it will sound better in the end, even if I can't measure it, or it comes back to me as a very small benefit.

The 'SR affect'.

?

THx-RNMarsh

DVV, and everybody else, IF you have a low frequency signal coming in, FIX IT! I agree that record warps can cause this, BUT you just have to optimize the arm-cartridge compliance to fix it. I have seen worse that warp, but it WAS a defective turntable. High pass>10Hz filters will change the bass quality.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
DVV, and everybody else, IF you have a low frequency signal coming in, FIX IT! I agree that record warps can cause this, BUT you just have to optimize the arm-cartridge compliance to fix it. I have seen worse that warp, but it WAS a defective turntable. High pass>10Hz filters will change the bass quality.

No it is an unavoidable thing in mechanically rotating pieces of mass on a spindle driven by a wheel or a string. And even if you get lucky on the table, there's the hle in the record beng not perfectly centered. You never win.

I've been measuring dozens of tables in preparation for a future article, the $ 100 ones as well as $ 15,000 ones. Some are better than others, in general more expensive are better.

And don't get me started about 40dB max channel separation and THD nobody would accept in his electronics. See attached for a typical sample.

Jan

Attachments

• AP_HarmonicDistortionReport.pdf
    33.7 KB · Views: 105
And don't get me started about 40dB max channel separation and THD nobody would accept in his electronics. See attached for a typical sample.

Have you seen the measurements that the old (now defunct) High Performance Review used to publish? They would show curves of distortion vs level for the 2nd and 3rd harmonic, vertical and horizontal. These were remarkably good for a 1900 technology, remarkably bad for a 1985 technology.

John, much as you, as an engineer and probabky a perfectionist, might balk from this, but EVERYTHING works on basis of the law of diminishig returns. A say 1% improvement over your Linn might cost say $100, but the next 1% will cost more than $100. It rockets upwards at lightning speed. And becomes unreasonable very soon (the price, I mean).
IME that law can largely be sidestepped in audio - convincing sound, or close to it can be achieved for remarkably little cost, everything beyond is icing on the cake. Mainly, higher competent SPLs, and better rendition of low bass are gained with money, prudently spent; also, "purity" of very simple, audiophile style recordings is improved.

Like I said modded and factory units for comparison.
Swapping transmitter units takes seconds so audio memory or lack thereof is not a problem/deal breaker.
Foobar makes playing the same passage repeatedly in order to discern differences trivially easy .
I trust my ears, perhaps yours are not up to the task....and so I have heard on the grapevine.

Dan.
Dan, many here haven't learned how to listen for flaws and faults in the playback sound, it's something that probably needs some "training" :) to acquire ... a good example is unnatural vocal sibilance, which most interpret as a 'bad' recording, rather than a pointer to faulty playback.

No it is an unavoidable thing in mechanically rotating pieces of mass on a spindle driven by a wheel or a string. And even if you get lucky on the table, there's the hle in the record beng not perfectly centered. You never win.

I've been measuring dozens of tables in preparation for a future article, the $ 100 ones as well as $ 15,000 ones. Some are better than others, in general more expensive are better.

Jan

Jan, any chance you can borrow some time on the laser TT? I would love to put to bed the doubt that the tests tones actually are/aren't distorted themselves. For 30yr. no table/arm/cart combo has ever bettered ~-40dB levels for me.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jan, any chance you can borrow some time on the laser TT? I would love to put to bed the doubt that the tests tones actually are/aren't distorted themselves. For 30yr. no table/arm/cart combo has ever bettered ~-40dB levels for me.

Yes I really should do that.
But where do I find a laser TT.

There's apparently a dealer in Hamburg, Germany, 300 miles from my place. Maybe a trip to Hamburg is in order ;-)

Jan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.