John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Wow, gotta check that out! Thanks, Brad.

It's a very philosophical book in parts, while having a novel approach to feedback and a lot of good engineering insights. I stumbled on it in a used bookstore, a bit-the-worse-for-wear copy at 30 bucks some years ago. But I see via bookfinder that it appears to still be in print, and used copies are plentiful and reasonable.

Cordell knew Waldhauer when they were both at Bell Labs, and has said nice things about him.

Heatsinks are too small, caps look good, though.

I have the schema for the original. Nice "Parasound" level quality.
1.2kva trafo is up in front fully shielded.

Right after we made fun of the gold paint -
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/272352-check-out-emotivas-new-amplifier.html
.... they removed the link !

I have a problem with a company that would inflate a 1K$ amp to 17K
by adding "fluff" !
Same amp !! (below - 899$)
a real good deal for the $$... 180K uf / 75V rails/ 6 pair BJT class AB/300W.

Puzzling - april fool's joke ... maybe ? (a little spray paint).

OS

Attachments

• xpa-2.jpg
    xpa-2.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
speaking of good books

Marsh mentioned a book some pages ago about current-feedback op amps. As Amazon was selling it at a substantial discount from the SRP of $129, and after looking at the table of contents, I decided it was worth acquiring. It arrived yesterday and it looks quite decent.

Springer, from 2013, Senani et al., Current Feedback Operational Amplifiers and Their Applications, ISBN 978-1461451877.

Many many references. Oddly, based on a quick scan, there is no mention of Nelson's patent, in contrast to the Wikipedia entry on the subject.

Where do we go from > -115db noise and a 20ppm amp ?

I see (hear) a point where any further amplifier advancement is a futile
labor with diminishing returns.
Removing system gremlins is the next step ... I have heard plenty of sonic disasters from high priced, high spec'd equipment over the years; chasing better conventional technical performance from individual units is a complete waste of time, unless one's thing is the satisfaction of superior "measurements".

If OTOH one wants maximum satisfaction from the actual listening, then the attitude has to change - one needs to become aware that if a recording sounds like "poop" it's because the playback system, no matter how technically brilliant it nominally is, is injecting its own "patina" of distortion and artifacts, which is multiplying the "poop" factor enormously - remove the system generated dirt, and those "dud" recordings suddenly become some of your favourites ... :devily:.

Removing system gremlins is the next step ... I have heard plenty of sonic disasters from high priced, high spec'd equipment over the years; chasing better conventional technical performance from individual units is a complete waste of time, unless one's thing is the satisfaction of superior "measurements".

If OTOH one wants maximum satisfaction from the actual listening, then the attitude has to change - one needs to become aware that if a recording sounds like "poop" it's because the playback system, no matter how technically brilliant it nominally is, is injecting its own "patina" of distortion and artifacts, which is multiplying the "poop" factor enormously - remove the system generated dirt, and those "dud" recordings suddenly become some of your favourites ... :devily:.

No system will improve a poorly produced recording.
You will always
hear the tape splicing/noise on the first Boston album - ALWAYS.
An Alan Parson's master is precise , multilayered (almost noiseless).
Even old ones ! "I robot" is just 6db above the DAC/amp noise floor ,
how could they do that before digital ?? (A remaster ?)

PS - I actually like the Boston album , noise and all - Not "poop".

OS

We have different takes on "poorly produced" recordings - I have zero problems with technical glitches provided the musical event captured rises above all of that, that it occupies centre space and dominates other acoustic events. Otherwise, I would have walked out of or away from the listening of nearly all live renditions of music, which are riddled with "technical glitches" - a car going past, someone behind rubbing their feet on the floor, a chair on the stage squeaking at odd moments, a burst of rain on the roof, a mobile phone going off.

Life happens, other bits of sound completely irrelevant to the music intrude, but if those things distract me, disturbingly so, then for me the system isn't good enough ...

How's this for distraction, Frank? Yesterday, while listening to the tuner, some piece of music had mixed in EXACTLY the same sound as my door bell, and sent me scurrying to the door, only to find nobody there. This of course elicited a few very ungentlemanly remarks regarding the sound engineer's biological origins. :D

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Marsh mentioned a book some pages ago about current-feedback op amps. As Amazon was selling it at a substantial discount from the SRP of $129, and after looking at the table of contents, I decided it was worth acquiring. It arrived yesterday and it looks quite decent.

Springer, from 2013, Senani et al., Current Feedback Operational Amplifiers and Their Applications, ISBN 978-1461451877.

Many many references. Oddly, based on a quick scan, there is no mention of Nelson's patent, in contrast to the Wikipedia entry on the subject.

Brad you have any of the current mode books by Frank Lidgey et al?

Jan

Joined 2002
Paid Member
It just "happens", eh George? Instead of "A Beginner's Guide To Souvlaki", you have just the book for this topic?

I don't think that's any accident or chance, I think it's a design on yur part to own such literature. It's the professor in you talking, you do nt wish to be ever caught out by student questions, even if that may not be your personal key interest. I have seen this with my late father, he had literature on, for example, automatic gear boxes, although he didn't like them, they were of little use in commercial and military transport systems.

Way to go, George! :D

BTW, I just booked this year's summer holidays in, where else but Greece. Still on Cassandra, still in Afitos. Be great if you were to pass there 5 August to 14 August. We could discuss Voltage NFB (ouzo) versus current feedback (beer).

BTW, I just booked this year's summer holidays in, where else but Greece. Still on Cassandra, still in Afitos. Be great if you were to pass there 5 August to 14 August. We could discuss Voltage NFB (ouzo) versus current feedback (beer).
Are you outta your freakin mind????

Cruising about some of the worlds most beautiful scenery, amongst some of the most historically rich humanity, and you want to talk NFB????

Can I hit you now, or later??

but, ouzo vs beer...you saved yourself..

jn

ps...""Chamber music???? Get outta the car!!""

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re Feedback in amplifiers, the book from H.D. Bode is here:

https://archive.org/details/NetworkAnalysisFeedbackAmplifierDesign

It happens I have a 1990 copy of the book “Analog IC design: the current-mode approach” Editors: C. Tuomazou-F. Lidgay-D. Haig (IEE Circuits and Systems Series 2) :)

George

Yes that's one of them, they published one or two others. They have been on a crusade to promote current-mode thinking over voltage-mode thinking, or at least as a viable alternative, and I think they have a very good case.
But it won't fly of course.

At one time, many moons ago, I spoke to an ADI engineer who shall remain unnamed (and no it was not SW) about the AD844 current conveyor. I asked him why they didn't call it a CC. Said he: if we wouldn't call it an opamp we wouldn't sell any...

Jan

Are you outta your freakin mind????

Cruising about some of the worlds most beautiful scenery, amongst some of the most historically rich humanity, and you want to talk NFB????

Can I hit you now, or later??

but, ouzo vs beer...you saved yourself..

jn

ps...""Chamber music???? Get outta the car!!""

Go ahead, hit me, see where it gets you, to the hospital or the boot hill direct. Frankie Laine singing in the back: Boot hill, so cold, so still, and there lay side by side the killers that died in the gunfight at voltage versus current feedback corral. :D

JN, I have tourism in my blood. All my life, thanks to my late patrents, I have been to places where empires were born and where they fell. I make it a point to visit such places. If you want a graveyard of history, you can't do any better than Turkey.Ther Sumerians, the Hetites, the Greeks, the Romans and the Ottoma Empire. I got lucky and lived there and got to see most of it. I also lived in Egypt, and visited the Valley of the Kings, Luxor, Ghize and its pyramids and Alexandria numerous times. The only site in the Mediterranean I missed was Carthage. I swam at the location where Gods swam on Cyprus, and where goddess Venus is reputed to have emerged on dry land.

Hell sonny, I even walked the the streets of Brooklyn and Bronx and lived to tell the tale. :D

And I have around 3,900 full colour slides to prove it! That's what my Dad called a short history of our roaming. His pick of around 17,000 slides. I saw the early Christian monasteries in the hills of Trabzon, near the Black Sea coast of Turkey, and I stood in the room where Mustapha Kemal ("Ataturk", Father of Turks) smoked his havanas while gambling or playing billiards.

And Greece. We (Mom, Dad and myself) followed the route I drew in 1969, from Alexandropolis in Eastern Greece, just 30 km from the border with Turkey, all the way down to the Peloponese and the cities of Olympia and Sparta, I stood in the Acropolis in Athens, and saw the monasteries of the Meteore where I lit the customary candles for my grandma, as I still do to this day every time I enter an Orthodox Christian shrine anywhere in Greece, even the less well known historical sites like Dion (you need an etire day just to walk through their museum). The title of my graduation paper in the high school was "The Athenian Slaveowner Democracy". Got top marks on that one.

Oh, I'd say I am reasonably well versed in Greece. It's the only country aside from my own in which I do not feel like a foreigner, more like a visiting distant relative. A legacy I am now passing on to the next generation, my 29 year old son. Not only of Greece itself, but of the old Greek world, with places like Troy and Ephesus, where Virgin Mary also lived for a while, both in modern Turkey today.

Yeah, sure I want to talk about dual JFETs, I know way less about them than about the world around me that it is today and that it was centuries ago. I haven't given up my wicked ways of seeing the world, this summer I hope to see parts of Britain I could not seen while I was a student there, with the help of Nigel Pearson. Never been to Oxford and he lives there. While there, i never got to Scotland either, a desire I had to wait until 2009 to fulfill, but I did and am the better for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.