John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing I know of which stands on even groud with great beer is great cider. But not the one from the front yard barrrel, that's for tourists, you want the one from the back yard barrel, that's the real stuff and it's usually not for sale.

Ditto here with plum brandy, called sliwowitz (šljiva = plum). Back yard stuff only, never mind the commercially available brands, that's all junk except for one. Locally, serving high quality plum brandy is a matter of price and face of its owner, although technically it's all half moonshine, but no law can stop a centuries old tradition from being carried out. Half only because it cannot be bought, it's not for sale, the best you can hope for is to have it served while visiting and perhaps be given as a gift a 1 litre bottle by your host.

The other face saving and prideful stuff is what's called "lozovača" (in rough translation, grape wine brandy), derived from further distilling wine so it becomes transparently "white", actually translucent. Never goes below 84 proof, sometimes above that. Same comments as for plum brandy, the really good stuff is not commercially sold. Also highly respected for its medical use, and I kid you not. Heat some up, soak a napkin in it and put it on your knees or another place which hurts and chances are it will stop hurting. My mother used to calm down her knees like that and she told me it worked better than anything the Big Pharma had to offer.

lastly, herbal tea. Over here, it's a centuries old tradition which never left. we have always had shops selling literally hundreds of hermal brews for various ailments. Offcial scientific medicine could not help my dad get rid of his kidney stones, but herbal medicine did it in less than 14 days. People, that's no joke, it does things pills and things cannot.

You drink it cold so you can't taste it :p. Beer has changed in UK. we drink the stronger stuff a lot more now, even tho the 3.8% session ales still exist.

The only thing wrong with British ales and lagers while I was in the UK, 1967-1970, was that it was not refrigerated at all, but served at room temperature. Still, some Courage Light Ale never failed to make me smile. :D

And while most Europeans typically think of American beer as pisswater, the truth is that most Europeans don't have half an idea of what's available across the Pond. In 1991, when I was in Boston, I discovered John Adams beer there, and approved of it by consuming it whenever I could.

Another thing I found to be totally off base is the firm beliefe of many Europeans that Americans have no idea of good food. With the slection of restaurants available where I have been (Boston, New York, Philadelphia) that simply is not true, and in fact, I would like to see similar sized European cities have such a good selection, which has not happened so far. The very best chocolate mousse I ever had I ate in Philadelphia.

And they (Yanks and Rebs) do have their native cuisine, for example, Cajun food. I made very sure whenever possible to park my *** in a Cajun restaurant and enjoyed every minute of it. I'm sure that if one looked, one would find at least regional cuisines, like T-bone steaks I am told cannot be found anywhere else to be as good as in Texas.

Oh Dan, you'd be happy here in Serbia, where you have your choice of beer with 4.7-5% or 7% alcohol ("strong").
I'm sure I would be very happy sharing a Serbian beer and sampling your stereo.
I spent three months in DK a few years back and tried every different beer I could find...they were all good.
I usually drink mid strength beer, Carlton Mid 3.5%, a full tasting Aus lager...I can have a few and not get too full.
There are a lot of imported Poms in this area...they drink Aus lager by the pint and no prizes for guessing the results....
knobhead.jpg
Draft and cold, what's better than that?
Nothing ...15-reasons

Dan.

Ditto here with plum brandy, called sliwowitz (šljiva = plum). Back yard stuff only, never mind the commercially available brands, that's all junk except for one. Locally, serving high quality plum brandy is a matter of price and face of its owner, although technically it's all half moonshine, but no law can stop a centuries old tradition from being carried out. Half only because it cannot be bought, it's not for sale, the best you can hope for is to have it served while visiting and perhaps be given as a gift a 1 litre bottle by your host..
Dejan, a pleasant memory from university: a chap from your part of the world stayed for a while in the residential college - and he was mighty enthusiastic about acquainting us with his special batch of the stuff! Blew our brains out, it was of the highest potency ... good memories ... :)

Joined 2014
Paid Member
"whilst the Australian Wino Society thoroughly recommends a 1970 Coq du Rod Laver, which, believe me, has a kick on it like a mule: eight bottles of this and you're really finished. At the opening of the Sydney Bridge Club, they were fishing them out of the main sewers every half an hour." :)

It appears I can get both so will go hunting and report back. I don't drink much Weiss beer so cloudy beers have their legendary effect on me....

And while most Europeans typically think of American beer as pisswater, the truth is that most Europeans don't have half an idea of what's available across the Pond.

The craft beer scene has exploded in the last couple years there are 100's now few if any are exported much. One must still sort through them, many are just I put more in than the other guy. Many also would pass the German purity standards.

I find good food and bad food everywhere, and no longer ask the cab drivers for advice. Though it was tough in Jutland, Mike. :)

Are-you joking ?
During all my sound engineer career, I never heard of a vinyl witch was not peak limited/compressed before the cutting process.
As a person who was involved in LP disc mastering, could you name vinyls and labels which are worth listening on the high quality analogue system? What to put on owner of 10K turntable and 30K phono stage? No direct cut and audiophile records, but regular stuff, past and present.
In spite of 2% of share in sound sources, we have today a vast range of brands an models of tonearm, cartridges, turntables and phono stages many of them exotic and expensive. To play only latest reissues made of DAT masters?

Status
Not open for further replies.