John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a person who was involved in LP disc mastering, could you name vinyls and labels which are worth listening on the high quality analogue system? What to put on owner of 10K turntable and 30K phono stage? No direct cut and audiophile records, but regular stuff, past and present.
In spite of 2% of share in sound sources, we have today a vast range of brands an models of tonearm, cartridges, turntables and phono stages many of them exotic and expensive. To play only latest reissues made of DAT masters?

If the catalog is to your taste 4AD has very high standards. I would be interested in Esperado's opinion of Ocura.

Last edited:
The craft beer scene has exploded in the last couple years there are 100's now few if any are exported much. One must still sort through them, many are just I put more in than the other guy. Many also would pass the German purity standards.

I find good food and bad food everywhere, and no longer ask the cab drivers for advice. Though it was tough in Jutland, Mike. :)

Eons ago, in 1964-1966, while living in Turkey, mom, dad and me drove around a lot. Turkey has very little railroads, but had fairly good roads, and thus most commercial traffic was conducted by buses and trucks, lots of trucks. Dad worked for the UN teaching mechanical engineering, so in efect we were resident tourists, so to speak. Since Turgeky was the meeting point of several civilizations, from the Hetites onwards, there was much to see so we drove around. We quickly learned how to tell which roadside diner was The One - just look where most trucks are parked. Can't miss. Disregard buses, the driver might have a free lunch if he brings in a busful of people, not at all reliable. Truck were.

Same thing today on local roads in Serbia. You just can't miss, Close your eyes, forget hygene and order, you will have a hearty lunch guranteed.

I'd be very surprised if it was any different in USA today.

Same thing today on local roads in Serbia. You just can't miss, Close your eyes, forget hygene and order, you will have a hearty lunch guranteed.

I'd be very surprised if it was any different in USA today.

Unfortunately the "hearty" is over stressed these days. To be sure asking random folks for, for instance, the best Thai food in Boston will cause lots of arguments and confusion. Some people will have nothing to do with it unless it's 5 alarm hot, others focus on nothing but the cliche dishes, and not all fastidiously authentic food is that good (except maybe for natto :D). Yes I know natto is not Thai.

Last edited:
As a person who was involved in LP disc mastering, could you name vinyls and labels which are worth listening on the high quality analogue system?
While i had spend some days of stage in two mastering rooms in order to learn the secrets of this 'magical process', i was not so much involved in the "mastering".
Working for the musicians and producers, my only concern was to find the best places at times to cut our "masters".
But the choices were often out of our authority, record companies industrial decisions. ;-)
What was for sure is that the European version of US records were always inferior to the more expensive "imports" versions.
Too, the quality of a vinyl can vary tremendously if it was released early or late in the series mold... re-edition etc...

For classical music, Decca and Deutsche Grammophon were good references. For rock'n roll, i cannot help, good and bad things from all labels. There are some good Columbia and Warner Bros L.P. among them. (James Taylor, Loggins & Messina, Paul Simon etc... ?)

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I find the food of a culture is very different when prepared from ingrediants of another country. So Thai food here isnt the same as Thai food there even when it looks and has the same name. My German wife, which I brought over when she spoke a little American couldnt find the ingrediants she used in Germany or the Potato type was different etc. There are many reasons for the differences here vs there.... but often they really arent the same taste. IMO the food of a country always taste best when prepared from foods/spices of that country.

-RNM

Last edited:
Unfortunately the "hearty" is over stressed these days. To be sure asking random folks for, for instance, the best Thai food in Boston will cause lots of arguments and confusion. Some people will have nothing to do with it unless it's 5 alarm hot, others focus on nothing but the cliche dishes, and not all fastidiously authentic food is that good (except maybe for natto :D). Yes I know natto is not Thai.

Look bud, you just haul *** here and let me worry about the rest. A countryman of yours, a pharmacologist from Saint Louis, went on record by saying in between munches: "My cholesterol levels will never be the same!", but cool as a cucumber went on through the main course and the sweets afterwards. The man had style, to be sure.

The craft beer scene has exploded in the last couple years there are 100's now few if any are exported much. One must still sort through them, many are just I put more in than the other guy. Many also would pass the German purity standards.
There has been a strong interest down here for a long time in beer diversity, people enjoy trying something new, and craft beers have been part of the scene for decades, Countdown Australia’s Hottest 100 Craft Beers | Australian Brews News

I must agree that with a DIGITAL master, why make a vinyl recording? I have heard the difference, and the vinyl gave a better subjective performance, but that was with a really good master recording, that I presumed to be digital. The SACD does not sound as good. Why, I am not sure. Could it be the playback? I have to go through IC's, etc., that I don't with vinyl playback. That could be it, but I can't find any CD, SACD, or DVD that sounds as good as my best vinyl playback. Perhaps it is because I have so much more invested into analog playback. I just don't know for sure.
However, vinyl lives! Both in the 'record' store and used and invested in by serious audiophiles around the world. I am always pressed into making better replay phono preamps. I have 2 out there and 3 more in the mix, to be released in future. Why? Because there is customer interest. Perhaps not most of the people around here, but around the world. So, until digital gets 'perfect' vinyl will still be with us, especially all analog vinyl playback, that is all I can successfully vouch for.

Look bud, you just haul *** here and let me worry about the rest. A countryman of yours, a pharmacologist from Saint Louis, went on record by saying in between munches: "My cholesterol levels will never be the same!", but cool as a cucumber went on through the main course and the sweets afterwards. The man had style, to be sure.

Maybe someday, I had great Serbian friends here in the 60's while I grew up. In fact this was the venue for my first live concert, the Dave Clark 5, American Serb Hall - Milwaukee, WI I assume the fish fries are a Wisconsin thing. :D This is the kind of food Europeans slam us for, get over it and have a wider view of the socio-politics of food.

Last edited:
That could be it, but I can't find any CD, SACD, or DVD that sounds as good as my best vinyl playback. Perhaps it is because I have so much more invested into analog playback. I just don't know for sure.
May-be it is because you don't ask yourself the good question ?
Witch is not what you prefer ( or what you are more 'used-to'), but what is closer to the original !

Status
Not open for further replies.