John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never had a system that did anything in the bottom 2 octaves. Can't say I have missed it.

How can you miss what you never had? The same goes for 'reference' quality audio electronics.

Oh yes. Once we get used to low octaves for example, it cannot be the same again because we always remember how the song/music (should) sound.

But what does 2 bottom octaves mean? If 20Hz-80Hz, that's horrible, no high end system should be limited like that. But if 20Hz-60Hz, that's fine, 60Hz is my standard too. Lower is better but too many compromises with the woofer quality that I can afford (talking passive filter here) but 60Hz is based on critical musical instruments that I listen to. Many music that I listen to doesn't sound like music without it.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Oh yes. Once we get used to low octaves for example, it cannot be the same again because we always remember how the song/music (should) sound.

But what does 2 bottom octaves mean? If 20Hz-80Hz, that's horrible, no high end system should be limited like that. But if 20Hz-60Hz, that's fine, 60Hz is my standard too. Lower is better but too many compromises with the woofer quality that I can afford (talking passive filter here) but 60Hz is based on critical musical instruments that I listen to. Many music that I listen to doesn't sound like music without it.

60Hz. I have heard Demos that show off what a sub can do so know what I could get in the right room and have had a sub malingering for 17 years waiting for me to order a round tuit for it. But whenever I go to a live symphony or ballet performance I never come out thinking 'dam that bass was PHAT'.

More importantly the first snowdrop has emerged. This makes me very happy.

The true test for the bottom two octaves is to use speakers which do have them and then use speakers tht don't. Only then does one being to miss them.

My speaker misses out on the bottom octave, but is very linear don to 40 Hz. I found out just how much that means only when switching my speakrs for otherwise good one which don't go belo 60 Hz, where they are presumably down by -3 dB.

It just doesn't sound the same. However, it may be open to discussion how much of that effect is really hitting 40 Hz at -1.5 dB (in my case) and how much is it reproducing say 60 Hz with a lot less phase shift and much improved linearity.

The true test for the bottom two octaves is to use speakers which do have them and then use speakers that don't. Only then does one being to miss them.
Yes and no....I will explain.
I run 8'' active 2 ways, and they have good lower end, surprising bottom end, but no real proper bottom end.
My father has large soffit mountable double 10", double mid, 3 way (Vifa/Dynaudio purpose built pro studio monitors - Sony Aus have same boxes) that go down waaay lower, with serious LF power capability.
For my usage, in my lounge room the 8'' two ways work really well, and without annoying the neighbours too much.
That said, with the back sliding door open, and low/comfortable levels the dead clean bass sound that I have does propagate over the back fence.
If I went to double 10'', the neighbours might start throwing bricks !.
So horses for courses - in the right circumstances big bass power is fun, but one does need to consider the neighbours.

Dan.

No reason for underestimations, Ed, I have cleaner measurements of different drivers as well. However, it makes no sense to exaggerate amplifier distortion and to argue with crossover distortion. I am more and more disappointed here. Would you show some speaker distortion measurements with same resolution as I did.

How about a nice multi-tone showing how IM raises apparent noise floor?

Ok, measurement would confirm.
That said, how noisy (and what spectral differences) are suitable more modern alternates, and how much sonic difference would be expected for line level application.

Dan.

I think the LSK equivalents would acquit themselves quite well even in a phono section. Yes the noise at line level is probably not an issue, it's too bad there is not a P companion to something like a J305 which has excellent yield to decent noise including low 1/f. I found the J177 family horrible for noise.

I think the LSK equivalents would acquit themselves quite well even in a phono section. Yes the noise at line level is probably not an issue, it's too bad there is not a P companion to something like a J305 which has excellent yield to decent noise including low 1/f. I found the J177 family horrible for noise.
Any ideas on what are easily available audio suitable modern complimentary jfets....TH or SMD doesn't matter.

Dan.

Yes and no....I will explain.
I run 8'' active 2 ways, and they have good lower end, surprising bottom end, but no real proper bottom end.
My father has large soffit mountable double 10", double mid, 3 way (Vifa/Dynaudio purpose built pro studio monitors - Sony Aus have same boxes) that go down waaay lower, with serious LF power capability.
For my usage, in my lounge room the 8'' two ways work really well, and without annoying the neighbours too much.
That said, with the back sliding door open, and low/comfortable levels the dead clean bass sound that I have does propagate over the back fence.
If I went to double 10'', the neighbours might start throwing bricks !.
So horses for courses - in the right circumstances big bass power is fun, but one does need to consider the neighbours.

Dan.

I agree, Dan, but extesion is one thing and wild SPL is another. Mine will go down to 40 Hz at -1.5 dB, but the AVERAGE power dissipated by a power amp driving them at what are comfrtable SPL levels for me in my room is around 0.7W Therefore, no fear for the neighbours. I was never a head banger.

And, after all, I can always use my Luxman C-03 preamp's Loudness control, it is very well judged and does not bloat the sund as most such buttons do, just gives it a little boost, always more than enough for my taste.

Any ideas on what are easily available audio suitable modern complimentary jfets....TH or SMD doesn't matter.

Dan.

Not many P channel in production right now, I would support Linear Systems hoping they get the LSJ74 into full production. It could be the only lead to more choices since there is no chance any majors are going to introduce new parts. Frankly end of life buy notices are about all I expect from them.

I just tested this product further: It has one small problem, it does not like full volume (seldom used in practice) on. It probably needs a small series resistor, no big deal. The measurements are just what I would expect, all 2'nd, 3rd, very, very little else. About .005% at 3V. Less at lower output voltages, because it has a class A output. Great square wave, almost perfect. Rise-time limited, no slew rate limiting easily measured with Alps vol. pot in front. DC offset adjustable to 0 with a multi-turn trim pot on each channel. All DC coupled, NO series caps!
This is a wonderful bargain, and a good comparison against comparably priced IC based designs. +/-15V supplies.

I just tested this product further: It has one small problem, it does not like full volume (seldom used in practice) on. It probably needs a small series resistor, no big deal. The measurements are just what I would expect, all 2'nd, 3rd, very, very little else. About .005% at 3V. Less at lower output voltages, because it has a class A output. Great square wave, almost perfect. Rise-time limited, no slew rate limiting easily measured with Alps vol. pot in front. DC offset adjustable to 0 with a multi-turn trim pot on each channel. All DC coupled, NO series caps!
This is a wonderful bargain, and a good comparison against comparably priced IC based designs. +/-15V supplies.

I ordered one tout suite.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I see a business case here. John contacts them, and lets them use a quote for $5 a unit and then tells them the part changes for a 'JC signature' version that he gets $10 a unit for.

Will be interested to hear what the listening test results are. Had I not just blown my budget in other areas I would have ordered one.

Status
Not open for further replies.