Status
Not open for further replies.
$_57.JPG

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
That would be a different ESS. I was referring to what had originally been
named Electrostatic Sound Systems, shortened to ESS after Oskar Heil
showed up with his Air Motion Transformer.

:cool:

I measured the freq response of the first Heil speakers at the time they were being sold in retail stores..... they were very smooth... and clear sounding. BUT were a straight upward tilt. .... not flat. Bright.

-RNM

I know him well.... before ESS he ran an audio store where we met near El Camino ave (next to Tognotti's). Later he moved but kept a house (near Placerville) and asked if I wanted to rent it.... he wasnt sure how long his new job (Arizona I think) would last. But he never came back and I lost track of him. he loved electronics but for some reason... at the time I knew him he didnt have an electronics degree, he told me. He had a BA in some off the wall subject. Quite inventive and creative guy. Last time I saw him was when ESS was bankrupt and I was asked to help go thru inventory with a friend (Dave Cusker?) of the foreign investor. I have no idea anymore what I was doing at the time.... probably still in Livermore at LLNL. People just seem to find me somehow as I try to keep a low profile. Later, you opened your shop up the hill from where I now reside.... and the rest is history with your Pass Labs equipment. Where is B.T. now?

THx-RNMarsh
RE: Barry... I have a multi source turntable preamp that Barry custom built for Chuck Swisher back in the California days. Chuck was experimenting with an audio theater idea and needed to play records live, and blend from one to another like a DJ on the radio. It needs restoration, but is mostly intact,,an interesting one-off..Last year I repaired one of his Quintessence preamps for a client, and I also picked up a pre-amp he did under contract to Audionics of Oregon, the BT-2, for my collection. Barry also did some boards for Revox A-77...the owner of Audionics, Charles Woods, showed them to me when I arrived to purchase his non-working Marantz 10-B for $400. [ which had a bad Vactrol unit, easily replaced ] ...all back in the later 1970s....I think Barry is in Texas these days, moved on from audio do work in data transmission early in the digital era. He had a website up as recently as 2 years ago for his consultancy business, last time I saw it..just have not looked since then.. Jen

EDIT....found him on. https://www.linkedin.com/in/barrythornton There you are! He is coming back to audio!!!

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
RE: ....I think Barry is in Texas these days, moved on from audio do work in data transmission early in the digital era. He had a website up as recently as 2 years ago for his consultancy business, last time I saw it..just have not looked since then.. Jen

EDIT....found him on. https://www.linkedin.com/in/barrythornton There you are! He is coming back to audio!!!

Thanks, that was fun to read. Think I'll give him a call..... might even have some interesting audio spins.

-RNM

Calling Is a "fudge" factor is rather starting off on the wrong foot. Not that what was said is wrong just that yes every diode is different unlike the fact that every mass has the same escape velocity. OTHO the diode equation can be reduced to a complex formula and the parameters measured, it's just more work.

Well, in the mundane analysis, escape velocity is the same for any mass.

Under phononic excitation, shall we say, the given mass can and does have an altered relationship to the given escape velocity. Mild the differential is, but it is definitely there. All theory predicts it.

Since it is phononicially capable of being a changed relationship, it is also available in other areas of excitation, as phononic is a catch all phrase for a complex quantum condition.

This is part of the SHT technology that has exploited this obvious point to deliver the grease to perform the desired excitation and hence enable (pressured/delta) separation. ie, the proper forms of complex resonance enables forms of quantum interaction that are beneficial to the task of catalysis.

This is directly translatable to attempts at dealing with escape velocity, as the fundamentals are the same. Looking back at the history of some of the wild and woolly stories of the past, regarding alternative methods of dealing with escape velocity, we see the direct imprint of these basic quantum functions. Turns out the math ~is~ there, and it is acceptably correct as an explanation for these stories.

Last edited:
No better or worse than quite a few other pages on cables around the world. Everybody has a specific technique hard to describe in words exactly, but listen and you'll feel it. Unless you're an insensitive idiot, which no-one would admit to.

They exist not for the sake of originality, but because there are many "affictionados with golden ears" out there. Recently, one such specimen tried to convince the auditorium of another audio forum that he could hear the difference between differently coloured caps, you know, blue against black against whatever, and finished his presentation with the classic end: "what, don't tell me you can't?"

Unfrtunately, that was also a DIY forum, so he hit a stone wal there at full speed. Those people are more savvy than most.

Status
Not open for further replies.