JLH 10 Watt class A amplifier

I think you will be happy with it just as it will be. Be sure the centre voltage is correct. That is between the large transistors going out the the speaker capacitors. In theory you should do other adjustments. I suspect they can be kept as the original circuit. The thing to remember is virtually no one can say if 8 watts is more than 5 watts. It has to be 100 watts to be certain. That usually is more about wave shape than how loud.

I just read a convoluted text of a friends friend who tries to say religion and amplifier design are related. It was a complicated way of saying designing things is a bit of a gift. When dancing there is no dispute some can and I can't. The book is very confussed and sets about saying how we might go on this road. I don't think it's correct to say this. JLH was on the road and the road I suspect found him? I say this as he always was prepared to say sound quality verses measurements. One amplifier could be made to measure better whilst to him sound worse. That's the real deal. In his mind he could see where the problem might be. My friend Spencer Hughes said approximately . " My speakers are said to be and easy load, they are not. Imagine you are an amplifer looking down some speaker cables. Do you seee a drive unit? No, you see capaitors and chokes. You might say, I'm going home. The better amplifier says , I know there is a drive unit there." To me that's genius. He looked a simple man and spoke in a modest way. By saying this he balanced off all of his technical knowledge by realising something could sound bad despite it passing all the usual tests.

That book came up with one interesting statement. Schade of RCA recomended capacitor fed rectifiers. Our author becomes mysterious and says it is a very different outcome from the usual and not hard to do. This if true could work with JLH. My instict is the inductance of the transformer is of more importance. All the same it has the feeling of something interesting.

The Road Not Taken ( Robert Frost 1916 ).

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

JLH 2N 3055H

Here is the Prasi's red board using 2n3055h and +/-12v power supply
Last photo scope when out =7.7v/6R

Attachments

• 6V.PNG
    6V.PNG
    97 KB · Views: 606
  • LIN 6V.PNG
    LIN 6V.PNG
    70.5 KB · Views: 616
  • 7.7V 6R.PNG
    7.7V 6R.PNG
    73.8 KB · Views: 603
  • IMG_20181124_114848.jpg
    IMG_20181124_114848.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 560
Last edited:
The Road Not Taken ( Robert Frost 1916 ).

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

:up:

Hi thimios
Your results are good for a 2N3055H. In a simulation of the JLH with original (RCA hometaxial) devices and an epi-base device, I get much worse performance with the RCA than with an epibase, which also shows your slight overshoot.
I suspect that although your transistors might be labelled 2N3055H they are actually an epibase type from a process that gives a good second breakdown performance. I am sure ON Semiconductor have several choices of lines (MJ15003, MJ15015 etc) that they could use to provide an "H" -like second breakdown device.
I have also had to generate a model for the RCA device as most models available use a tf parameter that is more like the epibase. But it is a moot point as the RCA original is no more.

Attachments

• Simulations.png
    Simulations.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 145
Last edited: