JLE TPA3255 Build and Modifications

D

Deleted member 148505

Hey Doc, I dont like Black Gates. In the 90's they were OK cos other caps were even worse. But today Nichicon KZ/FG or Silmic II (depends on taste) is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.

Have you tried WIMA MKS2? Are they good or Silmic II is still better?

@Daniboun, it would be interesting if you add a review of the module with PFFB disabled.

@stretchneck, if you will disable the PFFB, you can bypass the opamp buffers and can put non-electro caps for the TPA3255 coupling caps. TICore260BTL do still have lots of modification options.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he meant buffer-less (i.e. without buffer), not a "buffer less xxx".

Purifi modules can't be used without Buffer. Bruno Putzeys has developed the it so that we are free to choose the Buffer of our choice (ATM, VTV, Neurochome etc...)
BUT the Neurochrome offers the possibility to disable the Buffer by removing two resistors.

Last edited:

@Daniboun, it would be interesting if you add a review of the module with PFFB disabled.

@stretchneck, if you will disable the PFFB, you can bypass the opamp buffers and can put non-electro caps for the TPA3255 coupling caps. TICore260BTL do still have lots of modification options.

WIMA MKS & ELNA Silmic II are both anything but neutral.
MKS has ethereal, breezy soundstage. Plasticky bass & body (upper bass-lower mids) and highs are not really clear but fuzzy.
Silmic II has pronounced bass & body, smooth mids and smooth highs taking out the glare in the recordings. Sound signature is earthy, warm, rhythmic and good soundstage & space.

If the bass & body dont get too much and the sound not too dark I would use Silmic II. MKS has too much shortcomings. Silmic II is not neutral but it sounds good. Like the Russian K75 hybrid caps, it is like morphium... you know its not reality but if you get used to it... everything is like thru pink glasses.. no more trouble... 80's CDs never sounded sooo gooood...

fa05_morphine200_hero_420x630.jpg

ELNA Silmic II or K75 Hybrid Cap? ;)

Last edited:
MKS has ethereal, breezy soundstage. Plasticky bass & body (upper bass-lower mids) and highs are not really clear but fuzzy.
Silmic II has pronounced bass & body, smooth mids and smooth highs taking out the glare in the recordings. Sound signature is earthy, warm, rhythmic and good soundstage & space.
Don't forget, all of the above is applicable *for yourself only*.

What non-electro caps would be preferred? Would be nice to have a guide on how to do this and what it sounds like. Many people rave about running Purifi with bypassed buffers so I wonder how TPA3255 would sound bypassed.

I have a Audio GD Master 9, so loads of gain on tap.

Don't forget, all of the above is applicable *for yourself only*.

Not really, I have more or less 30 people and friends around me testing all these parts on their own systems with even more people involved. Personal preferences are there but no one i.e. denies that the MKS has plasticky bass. We hear all the same things with the same parts happening in wildly different stereo systems.

What non-electro caps would be preferred? Would be nice to have a guide on how to do this and what it sounds like. Many people rave about running Purifi with bypassed buffers so I wonder how TPA3255 would sound bypassed.

I have a Audio GD Master 9, so loads of gain on tap.

If you want more bass & body and mids warmth and splendid dynamics go with Silmic II. If you want it more neutral go with KZ (problematic cos bigger size) or FG or ELNA RBD BiPolar (not so warm and dark like Silmic II but smoother than Nichicon).

You cant do much wrong with ELNA RBD. Very very good soundstage & space, airy with substantial bass & body. Highs & upper mids are all there but a bit smoother.

Last edited:
What non-electro caps would be preferred? Would be nice to have a guide on how to do this and what it sounds like. ....

For capacitors in the Audio Signal Path, Film capacitors may generally give the least distortion. Polypropylene are nice, but the volume density is low per unit capacitance (large physical size).

This is an interesting ASR thread on Capacitors in the Signal Path: AES Paper Digest: Audio Capacitors. Myth or reality?

For supply bypass caps one might choose C0G ceramic caps and low ESR/ESL electrolytic caps.

Caps in Signal path>> TI-Selecting capacitors to minimize distortion in audio applications: https://ti.com/lit/pdf/slyt796

Caps for Bypass supplies >>

TDK...Guide to Replacing an Electrolytic Capacitor with an MLCC (Ceramic) Overview: Guide to Replacing an Electrolytic Capacitor with an MLCC | Tech Notes | Multilayer Ceramic Chip Capacitors | TDK Product Center

Also from Rohm...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 148505

If you want more bass & body and mids warmth and splendid dynamics go with Silmic II. If you want it more neutral go with KZ (problematic cos bigger size) or FG or ELNA RBD BiPolar (not so warm and dark like Silmic II but smoother than Nichicon).

You cant do much wrong with ELNA RBD. Very very good soundstage & space, airy with substantial bass & body. Highs & upper mids are all there but a bit smoother.

I already tried RBD-25V100KE3#N from digikey, the highs are very forward sounding (and harsh?). So I desoldered it right after listening test.

I will try it again on my next build.

Attachments

• rbd.jpg
    rbd.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 503
Last edited by a moderator:
Not really, I have more or less 30 people and friends around me testing all these parts on their own systems with even more people involved. Personal preferences are there but no one i.e. denies that the MKS has plasticky bass. We hear all the same things with the same parts happening in wildly different stereo systems.
You will hear what you want to hear. I’m glad I cannot.

Very very funny indeed! You mean people from different continents, races etc are so brainwashed that they think (i.e.) PIO caps & carbon resistors do sound smoother than MKP... etc.. very funny...

You are glad, well... It makes me sad that there are so many ignorant people like you...

Last edited:
I already tried RBD-25V100KE3#N from digikey, the highs are very forward sounding (and harsh?). So I desoldered it right after listening test.

I will try it again on my next build.

ELNA needs loooooooooong breaking in! Give them at least 100h, in the beginning they have far less space and body and tend to sound gritty - as with all caps when they are new.

Or you are just not the RBD, KZ, FG type but Silmic II?

Very very funny indeed! You mean people from different continents, races etc are so brainwashed that they think (i.e.) PIO caps & carbon resistors do sound smoother than MKP... etc.. very funny...

You are glad, well... It makes me sad that there are so many ignorant people like you...
No need to be so defensive and insulting about it. I am happy you have a hobby you enjoy.

It is not necessarily ignorance. Some people perhaps genuinely do not hear such differences. Not talking about the ones who wouldn't even try based on principle, prejudice and brainwash.

I wish people not hearing caps, resistors, wire would be kind to share what differences they actually do hear. Are all amps the same? All cd players?